Pet Friendly Airbnb

Pet Friendly Airbnb

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes

Is the increased revenue, demand, and occupancy for an Airbnb worth the ware and tare that accompanies pets?

ie.. dirty paws from walking outside on the floor and room rugs. Dog jumps on couch with dirt..

Are the dogs sleeping in the room with their owners?

Basically, what are the pros and cons of allowing this to take place.

Bottom line is I want to make our live-in Airbnb pet friendly if we can see a substantial increase in revenue that far surpasses the potential issues.

Disclaimer*** I have never personally owned dogs, only cats and rats

Thanks,

Nick

0Reply
146 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5y

I get thousands in pet fees. Pets don't cause damage people do.

80% of travelers want to go on vacation with Fido,  do you only want to be available to 20% of travelers?

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    5y

    Allowing pets (aka dogs) basically increases your cleaning time from all of the hair, and MAY increase your revenue. Most likely however it will just allow you to charge a pet fee. Without any info on how large your STR is, or how much you charge, or a bunch of other factors, it is impossible for anyone to hazard a guess if it will help you. Best bet is to simply try it for a few months, see how you like it, track your revenue, and charge a pet fee.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Nicholas Aja. It’s just another system to build. If you think it’s one that will work for you go for it. It’s not for me personally.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    It's been my experience that pet owners are more responsible than non pet owners.  Especially if they have children travelling with them.  YMMV.  I rent to refinery ruffians.  Guys with neck tats that drive jacked up 4x4s and chew tobacco while smoking a cig.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Scott Kunz thank you. I can appreciate the variety if factors affecting this.

    1900 sqft 3 bed, 2.5 bath in Bishop Arts in Dallas, TX. What’s a typical pet fee charge?

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Luke Carl I’m leaning more towards not implementing this system.. Thanks fir the input.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Paul Sandhu lol! I’m not quite renting to these people. As far as pet owners and responsibility, I’ve seen both side and their extremes.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    I get thousands in pet fees. Pets don't cause damage people do.

    80% of travelers want to go on vacation with Fido,  do you only want to be available to 20% of travelers?

  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I can only speak as a traveler with a pet here, but in almost every market we've traveled to with our dog the number of properties available and not already booked that allow pets are extremely limited, which would lead me to believe there is extreme demand for them.  Just anecdotal, of course.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @John Underwood incredible! I greatly appreciate different perspectives.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Moyer exactly! I was able to confirm this demand potential through a quick search on airbnb with filters set. 

  • Etna Green, IN · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 157 votes
    5y

    I have a new home that i am considering using as a str and am considering building some nice pens in the garage where people could keep there pets along with a fenced back yard..kind of in between pets allowed and no pets. Thoughts ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Waylon Zook that’s a fantastic idea. Fence off a small portion. I would even add heat to the kennels if it was reasonable. People spend big money on their pets. Create a “pet hotel” and you’ll bring in good reviews which will lead to more $$$$.

  • Etna Green, IN · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 157 votes
    5y

    @Nicholas Aja a concern i have is if people wont sneak them in the house anyway.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Waylon Zook, there will be cameras in our shared spaces and around the house, so that should keep people honest enough.

    If at all possible, always have cleaning crew or yourself take before and after photos of the rented space for claim reasons.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @John Underwood, I'm really surprised! I have some expensive furniture, rugs and have a pool in my new STR. My first snowbird wants to bring 2 dogs. She said she lets them swim in the pool at home and allows them to get on her leather couches. Yikes! I have just outfitted this house. Please give more information...I cannot fathom wet dogs in the house and on the rugs/beds/couches. You are near the water, right? Lake? How do you...manage...wet or muddy dogs?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    @Account ClosedCameras...everywhere...sounds like a nice place....

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kerry Baird:

    @John Underwood, I'm really surprised! I have some expensive furniture, rugs and have a pool in my new STR. My first snowbird wants to bring 2 dogs. She said she lets them swim in the pool at home and allows them to get on her leather couches. Yikes! I have just outfitted this house. Please give more information...I cannot fathom wet dogs in the house and on the rugs/beds/couches. You are near the water, right? Lake? How do you...manage...wet or muddy dogs?

    Our vacation rental is Lake front. Sometimes people let their dogs go for a swim. 

    I am charging top dollar and therefore have a higher caliber of renters that are responsible people. They don't let their pets mess up their personal house and that correlates to your rental property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Michael Baum i

    People have cameras on their house all over DFW. What’s the concern?

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @John Underwood, thanks~ I appreciate your thoughts and experience on this.  :D

  • Property Manager · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 221 votes
    5y

    @Nicholas Aja I wrote a whole piece on this. We welcome pets and charge a pet fee. Not only it results in extra bookings during these times but also brings in a little extra for the cleaners which is a nice incentive for them.

  • Property Manager · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 221 votes
    5y

    @Sofia Sharkey I meant to add the link to my post. You can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/LemonTreeBnB/photos/a.456808851761756/721592821950023/?type=3

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 274 votes
    5y

    If people aren't bringing their pets with them they are probably paying to board them somewhere while they travel. Of course, some may have friends house sit or people come over to let their dogs out on a daily basis, etc. We don't travel much but when we do we have to consider our two dogs. We gladly paid about $250 for a non refundable pet fee for a weekly rental at the beach. I honestly think if the back yard had been fenced in we would have paid more for the house we rented. 

  • Investor · NW Florida · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    We've never allowed them, but think about it sometime and wonder if it's worth it.  We maybe have 100 guests a year.  Wondering how many of those dogs will have fleas or ticks and or urinate or worse on the floor?  Cats spray.  Then there's the shedding and hair balls.  

    So far we've been very successful not allowing pets and the place is still immaculate after a year with no smells.  

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 280 votes
    5y

    I could go both ways on this, but currently with @John Underwood.  We do allow pets at our remote cabin.  We've son about 50% of our bookings have a pet with them and we also charge a pet fee tp cover for some of the extra cleaning.  We've yet to have damage from pets but have had young kids damage items and adults put charcoal in our gas grill.

    I will say that we got a 2 Star review on VRBO by a guest who titled it "Definitely Pet Friendly" ...sarcastic review going on to explain how "pet hair everywhere", and during some internal discussions we had, she explained how she was allergic to pet hair.  Our response to review was polite but also instructed future guests to seriously consider our place if allergies were an issue.

    Make sure you disclose you are or are not pet friendly and pursue either way.  We feel our place brings in top rate and for that we allow pets and their responsible owners.

  • Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Are the dogs sleeping in the room with their owners?


    Lots of great responses here - but to answer this specific question - yes and often on the bed with them. As long as you have a good cleaner, you should have a problem renting a dog friendly home to non dog owners 95% of the time (there is a small group that will never rent pet friendly regardless of how clean - allergies).

    I'd likely draw the line at dogs, not sure I'd want cats

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.