Investor · Saegertown, PA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 16 votes
I’ve read a lot about how pinellas co has strict short term rentals laws. Specifically Clearwater and St. Pete. I’ve been looking to invest in the area but am unsure of how other investors are avoiding this issue?
Is it sort of just a risk that everyone is taking until they get caught? I’ve read that some hefty fines have been issued to some folks. Are there ways to get around city ordinances?
Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
5y
@Dustin Pavlik "Are there ways to get around city ordinances?"
No. They are laws. You can take chances but as you can see in this article, Clearwater enforces their laws. I know them personally and they said their returns were enough to make it worth it but playing with fore can get you burnt.
St Petersburg doesn't seem to enforce as strictly, but anytime they need revenue, they know exactly where the short term rental are because you have to advertise them. It's not like you can hide.
It's much easier to invest in an area that wants you to invest, like Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Largo, unincorporated county, etc.
There are 24 municipalities in the county, each with their own laws, some have varying zones within them regulating turnovers differently.
Pinellas County itself doesn't have strict laws at all. There are 5 things you need to do and they are all common sense.