Do you clean wild game with your STR tenants?

Do you clean wild game with your STR tenants?

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I caught a 20 pound snapping turtle yesterday.  This evening I'm going to collect rent at some apartments.  Two of the guys are from Louisiana and offered to show my how to clean a turtle.  The other tenants at the apartments are from Minnesota, Missouri, China, Mexico and south Texas.  I'll invite all those other folks to come over and watch the turtle cleaning show.  I'll also bring a 30 pack.

Have you done anything similar?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

But the turtle should already be clean--It lives in water.

(I couldn't resist--L0L)

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    But the turtle should already be clean--It lives in water.

    (I couldn't resist--L0L)

  • Jeff SchemmelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2014 · 384 posts · 401 votes
    5y

    This is a good idea, and I want to hear what you guys come up with to cook it into.  All those cultures combined ought to make some delicious turtle-fusion dish.  I'll be waiting to hear back @Paul Sandhu

  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    5y

    I don’t befriend my tenants. It just makes difficult conversations awkward. Also might make them think that you won’t enforce lease provisions.

    I tried cleaning a turtle once. A bloody mess.

  • Rental Property Investor · Port Vincent, LA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Nothing wrong with comradery with your tenants as long as they maintain respect towards you. I have a hell of a turtle sauce piquant recipe if you are interested! 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Schemmel:

    This is a good idea, and I want to hear what you guys come up with to cook it into.  All those cultures combined ought to make some delicious turtle-fusion dish.  I'll be waiting to hear back @Paul Sandhu

     The Louisiana people told me to let it stay in fresh water in a big drum for a few days.  We'll clean it this weekend.  The drum is in the back of my truck here at work.  I'm showing all the ladies here the turtle.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hammond, WI · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 217 votes
    5y

    In my STR on Lake Superior I have a separate room for fish cleaning and a cutting board to do it outside in the summer. I even have a Traegar up there so they can immediately smoke lake trout and salmon if they so choose.

    Generally it does require beer to clean them as well when we're there.

    Not a STR rental story, but I was elbow deep cleaning a wild turkey I had shot one morning in high school. A Jehovah's Witness stopped at my house and he just couldn't resist himself with his question. "Did you get a turkey". I just smiled back and I think the magnitude of the stupidity clicked and his face showed it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.