Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
I tried searching for this topic before posting but didn't find anything on this exact topic.
Until Airbnb stops permitting cancellations for catching COVID as an extenuating circumstance, I'm wondering... Has anyone experimented with trying to stop dealing with last minute covid cancels? I have a strict cancellation policy for a reason - I'm probably not going to be able to fill these nights less than a week out. I'm thinking of adding some language to the automated message at booking that says something to the effect of acknowledging that they waive their right to the extenuating circumstances policy by completing their booking with us. They obviously still have 48 hours to cancel if they are not comfortable with this. I would guess if they challenged my policy to Airbnb they would still favor guest over host in issuing a full refund, but I'm wondering if I can discourage some people who are neither vaccinated nor practicing precautions from having to cancel last minute and dodging our cancellation policy with this loophole by telling them up front that they need to own their own risk of catching it and plan accordingly if they don't want to forfeit their deposit.
Looking for input on if you have tried any tactics to reduce covid cancels that have worked. Thanks all!
New Bern, NC · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 173 votes
5y
@Chris Gottshall
Hi Chris. I have always had a flexible cancellation policy (I've been operating since before Covid) because I read somewhere that a flexible policy can make people feel more comfortable booking a place, and therefore boost occupancy rates. The first time someone cancelled my heart sank and I questioned my decision. But I got another booking within an hour. Since then I have maintained flexible cancellation policy. Surprisingly, I did well during the height of the pandemic. Often guests promise to book later dates and they often do. I just checked my stats before this post. I have a 20% cancellation rate and an 81.5% occupancy rate over my last 365 days. I know this wasn't what you were looking for, but it has worked for me. I wish you the best!
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
5y
Frankly I have had only 2 COVID related cancellations since the beginning of 2020. I don't think there will be any way for you to circumvent their refund policy.
I feel pretty confident that any addendum you add to your message will not matter in the slightest. Especially if the rental in Oregon. Oregon is such a pro renter state, if they were to get involved, you would probably end up paying a fine of some kind.
New Bern, NC · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 173 votes
5y
@Chris Gottshall
Hi Chris. I have always had a flexible cancellation policy (I've been operating since before Covid) because I read somewhere that a flexible policy can make people feel more comfortable booking a place, and therefore boost occupancy rates. The first time someone cancelled my heart sank and I questioned my decision. But I got another booking within an hour. Since then I have maintained flexible cancellation policy. Surprisingly, I did well during the height of the pandemic. Often guests promise to book later dates and they often do. I just checked my stats before this post. I have a 20% cancellation rate and an 81.5% occupancy rate over my last 365 days. I know this wasn't what you were looking for, but it has worked for me. I wish you the best!
Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
5y
Have you ever personally ever had an extenuating circumstance? I have and I’d be put off by that kind of wording. But then, I’d be coming from a place of honesty and you, as a host, come from a place of “oh no, not another one”. Airbnb would never let that fly and I see it as a time-waster and off-putting. Lose -lose, imo.
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Chris Gottshall Like @Michael Baum and @John Underwood have said I have only had a handful of COVID cancellations other than the initial wave that hit last March. In all cases I rebooked. This is across 3 cabins that stay pretty much constantly booked. Not as big of an issue as you might think. Don't sweat it. But like @Nancy Bachety said, if the week before a trip your dad died from COVID complications you would want the host to work with you don't you think? So just don't sweat it. It doesn't happen often enough to add the verbage you want to add to your contract.