Real Estate Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2016 路 286 posts 路 67 votes
Hi, Fellow STR investors:
What is your ideal trash pickup solution for short-term rentals? Cleaners may be several days before the pickup schedule and it looks bad to put the trashcan on the roadside for several days. Some recycling companies have backyard services, i.e., they pick up trash from the side of the house, but such services can be pricy. So, I wonder what your solutions are.
I have concierge service (additional fee from the waste company) that comes into the back gate to pick up my trash. Costs a bit more, but well worth it. I have 2 large cans and 2 large recycle. They are always packed, so I wouldn't want to have housekeeping deal with all of that. Some nasty stuff in those cans after a wild weekend.
Real Estate Broker 路 Biddeford, ME 路 Member since 2020 路 15 posts 路 8 votes
5y
@Leon Lee I'm in Kennebunkport Maine. We ask homeowners to do private trash pick which occurs twice a week for high season. Guests put trash/recycling out for public pickup on Sat mornings. With the pending regs going into effect in 2022, this will become even more important for us.
Pompano Beach, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 12 posts 路 16 votes
5y
Leon,
The way I see it is my cleaners are vitally important to my STR operation. Consequently I pay them very well and quickly, and in return I expect these kinds of details to be taken care of. More to the point, the quick pay encourages them to service the property immediately after the guest leaves.
@Leon Lee I have a similar issue. I've an automated message going to the guests on trash day, but it doesn't always work.
I've had multiple PPM companies and none of them take the trash, My cleaners won't take it, and for everything else they do, it isn't worth firing them over it.
I've been trying to get a small group of homeowners in my community to just pay someone on trash day to stop in and take out all the barrels.
Investor 路 Lehigh Valley, PA 路 Member since 2019 路 129 posts 路 127 votes
5y
@Leon Lee I've found that building great relationships with full time neighbors works wonders with a home that you're not living at. For my upcoming STR I've worked out a deal with a neighbor who will help manage moving trash and recycling bins on proper days and I will get another large bin and possibly a bear box to surround the bins to accommodate for more trash + thwart animals. I have two other neighbors that watch over the house and would take trash out on an emergency basis.
Additionally options like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace have been solid for me to get people for rubbish cleanups I've had in the past. I'm sure you can post and find somebody local that'll do an going trash task for you
Investor 路 Lehigh Valley, PA 路 Member since 2019 路 129 posts 路 127 votes
5y
I also forgot to mention the STR across the street has a guest take out policy. It is their renter's number one complaint and reason they get less stars. I wouldn't suggest it
Livermore, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
5y
Our local garbage service offers "in yard pickup" for an additional fee. We've only had a few issues with new drivers not knowing about it. Other than that it solves all of our garbage issues.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant 路 San Diego / Phoenix 路 Member since 2021 路 12k+ posts 路 15k+ votes
5y
I go get it. Transfer the bags from the bins in the backyard into a big black contractor bag from Home Depot. It goes home into the dumpster at the ranch....
@Leon Lee I've found that building great relationships with full time neighbors works wonders with a home that you're not living at. For my upcoming STR I've worked out a deal with a neighbor who will help manage moving trash and recycling bins on proper days and I will get another large bin and possibly a bear box to surround the bins to accommodate for more trash + thwart animals. I have two other neighbors that watch over the house and would take trash out on an emergency basis.
Additionally options like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace have been solid for me to get people for rubbish cleanups I've had in the past. I'm sure you can post and find somebody local that'll do an going trash task for you
I agree with Ryan here, neighbors are hugely important for help with you STR. We hare lucky enough to have a long-term rental on our property and we let them use our bins in exchange for taking then out on trash day.
We have built great relationships with our neighbors and they will take the bins out in the event our long term renter is gone.
Investor 路 Fort Lauderdale, FL 路 Member since 2019 路 124 posts 路 68 votes
5y
I have signs on each piece of trash and most guests bring it with them. My cleaners take the trash that they collect at the property, but I would not ask them to sift around in gross garbage bins. It can definitely be an issue, as others have stated. The neighbors helping is big, although some neighbors don't want STR in the area so that can be tricky. I have yet to have a guest complain about having to take down the trash.