STRs along Oregon coast - Rockaway Beach, Seaside, Florence

STRs along Oregon coast - Rockaway Beach, Seaside, Florence

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 5 votes

Hi folks - first time newbie investor here. I'm interested in getting started in short term rentals, and have been researching the space over the last few months. Before I get into questions for the forum, just some context on what I have to invest and the ideal return profile I'm looking for:

  • $120k in cash to spend, including closing costs and set up costs (furnishings, simple upgrades, etc.). Property I can afford is likely in the $450k range.
  • Targeting NOI of at least $25k per year and 20% cash on cash return

I've narrowed my list down to a handful of markets around the US that I am investigating further. One in particular is the northern section of the Oregon coast, specifically Seaside, Rockaway Beach, and Florence / Heceta Beach. It seems like these markets have established STR friendly regulation and are stable vacation destinations that were getting an increasing number of visitors every year, even prior to COVID.

Couple questions for those that are familiar with these regions:

1. What are some pros and cons of STRs in these markets?

2. Are the returns I've laid  actually achievable here? (and not just this past year where domestic travel has gone through the roof)

3. I would be an out of state investor - how challenging is to to remotely manage a rental here? From browsing Airbnb and VRBO, it looks like a majority of properties are managed by either Vacasa or Evolve, but of course their fees are in excess of 20%


Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Would also love to connect with any investors or realtors that know this area well. Thanks!

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Nashville & Salt Lake City · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 20 votes
5y

If you have $120k why put it all into one market and one property instead of using leverage or building some glamping experiences (with me)? You could spend far less and likely reach your cash on cash returns. Around Nashville there are tiny homes and glamping opportunities on unincorporated land with few or no restrictions, and some river front properties. I'd be happy to be "on the ground" as well as a co-manager/co-investing partner. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Hey @Joseph E., that is an area that we were interested in initially. It is a nice area, flood zones are an issue.

    Prices are pretty high, but 450k should be doable. I do not think you will see the return. I would cut it in half personally. And that would be after a couple of years of 5 star reviews.

    Remote management should be easy. Lots of cleaners and handypersons in the area.

    Evolve really doesn't manage much other that communication. Vacasa is over 20%. 

  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 993 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I can't speak to questions #1 or #2, but on #3 you will find that most people here in this forum are managing out of state STRs remotely.  It is extremely doable.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9172 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Nashville & Salt Lake City · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    If you have $120k why put it all into one market and one property instead of using leverage or building some glamping experiences (with me)? You could spend far less and likely reach your cash on cash returns. Around Nashville there are tiny homes and glamping opportunities on unincorporated land with few or no restrictions, and some river front properties. I'd be happy to be "on the ground" as well as a co-manager/co-investing partner. 

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Thanks for the insight @Michael Baum - point definitely taken on flood insurance / risk. Surprised and disappointed with your guidance on halving the return. If that's the case, it sounds like even the top spots in the Oregon coast aren't great STR investments at current prices. Also wondering if I should discount some of the numbers on AirDNA going forward, since their data seemed to support something around my assumption.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    I have found AirDNA to be pretty unreliable. Most of the places we have looked don't have the huge number of STR's like Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg to really get a good cross section.

    Sometimes AirDNA lumps some basic cottages in with some huge fancy places which really skews the numbers.

    Your best bet is to do your own research with AirBNB and VRBO. Look at each and every listing that is close to what you are looking to buy. Not exact, but similar. See what kind of occupancy and nightly rates they are getting.

    That should get you a better idea of what you can do. I always looked at the WA and OR coasts as places to invest if you plan on using the place yourself. Property values are much too high as a general rule for a pure investment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.