How to list a duplex short-term rental as THREE listings

How to list a duplex short-term rental as THREE listings

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes

Dear STR fellow investors

I have a question on advertising a duplex as three listings on airbnb/VRBO:

Supposed I have a duplex, with one side having 3 bedroom and another side having 2 bedroom. In addition to listing them as two listings separately, I would like to have another listing with 5 bedrooms in total to cater large groups. Could you do that properly on Airbnb so that calendars among these listings are all properly linked and won't conflict? How about VRBO?

Any thoughts/inputs on pros, cons, and lessons learned will be appreciated!

Lee

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5y

Why not let them rent just one or the other. Advertise they can rent them both if available. 

I think this was discussed recently if you do a search on here. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Why not let them rent just one or the other. Advertise they can rent them both if available. 

    I think this was discussed recently if you do a search on here. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    5y
    John

    Thank you for the info! I will search the archives to see if I could find the related posts. 

    My main concern for not renting them separately, and only mentioning that they could rent together is that if I have a group of 10 people and I search on Airbnb, once I input 10 adults in my filters, the listings with 3 or 2 bedrooms that have the capacity of 8 people will not even show up, and I couldn't even know that place can be rented together from the description. 

    Thanks again!
    Lee

    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    Why not let them rent just one or the other. Advertise they can rent them both if available. 

    I think this was discussed recently if you do a search on here. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    I was directed to this article, which should be the solution for my question: 

    https://www.airbnb.com/help/ar...

    Thank you all!

    Lee

  • Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 72 votes
    5y

    Hey Leon!  Yes that link is the answer to your question.  In terms of advantages and disadvantages I HIGHLY recommend listing it as three listings.  Why?  Bigger properties book out further in advance and for a premium.  So the full duplex will book out first for the most money.  Then, as check-in time gets closer your individual units will start filling in the gaps.  In essence, you get the best of both worlds.  Good luck!

  • Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 272 posts · 283 votes
    5y

    In my opinion, a duplex with 3 listings might be a good idea with the strategy discussed. The only thing to be aware of is SEO cannibalization on the listing sites. 3 listings competing against each other for business (Even though it's your business) could drop each of the listings down in the search results if the conversion rate is affected by having 3 separate listings, vs. 1 listing for the combined duplex. I'd personally look at renting the entire duplex, see how that goes, then if needed splitting into 2 or 3. Either way, you've got options!

  • Real Estate Agent · orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 121 votes
    5y

    I currently have a quad plex and logistically it would be a nightmare to get them to line up. I'm booked almost full all the time so you don't really see the need to try to accomplish this. Others are saying you could rent it for more money but I don't agree with that. Consumers are smart and will see your listing could have been split, and if they could have gotten them separately at less money they will get angry and give you a bad review. If anything I would see it going the other way where people would want a better deal for renting both. I guess if you set the five bedroom listing up booking 6 months out and the individual duplex units only booking 3 months out you could probably accomplish this, but I would expect some logistical headaches. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.