Greetings From Punta Gorda

Greetings From Punta Gorda

Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes

Hello everybody! I am so glad to be here, and it’s so great to meet you all. Allow me to introduce myself:

My name is Samuel Jolicoeur and I am a 22 year old native Floridian originally born in Naples and raised in a small city called Punta Gorda. It’s basically the halfway point between Tampa and Naples; right off I-75. A sleepy retirement town where the median age is over 60 and the night life consists of going somewhere else because there isn’t one besides the bars. 

I earned my license in July 2022 and I am searching for the right broker for me. I was planning on joining the USCG and my deployment kept getting pushed back until now when I’ve decided I’m joining the reserves instead, which is why I haven’t activated my license yet (I didn’t want to join a broker when I thought I’d only be there a few weeks). That wasn’t where my passion lies, but real estate is. I am determined to make real estate my bread and butter in life and I am eager to learn as much as possible. Every day. I know where I want to be in 20 years but I haven’t found the path to get there yet.

If any of you are locals to my area or nearby areas (Tampa -> Naples) I’d love to hear from you and pick your brain a bit. I will be starting off as an agent of course but I am also interested in wholesaling, property managing, mortgage lending, development, and hard money lending when the day comes that I’ve got the capital to spare. If you can relate to me at all or are a professional in any of these areas then I would love to talk more about it as I start to find my path forward. Basically I’m looking for a mentor. 

With that being said I hope you all have an incredible day and that you all find success and happiness. 

-Samuel Jolicoeur 

2Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
3y

Welcome to the forums! Happy to connect and talk any time. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    Welcome to the forums! Happy to connect and talk any time. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    Welcome to the forums! Happy to connect and talk any time. 


     Hello! You’re a mortgage lender in South Florida? I’m interested in potentially taking that route as a day job while building an investment portfolio.

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    Welcome to the forums! Happy to connect and talk any time. 


     Hello! You’re a mortgage lender in South Florida? I’m interested in potentially taking that route as a day job while building an investment portfolio.

    I am! Knowing financing certainly would help with your portfolio. I think agents have a little more advantage in that they are seeing the property deals up front, but your networking skills will open up opportunities for investing no matter what day job you choose. I'd choose whatever suits your skills best and you think you'll make money with. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    Welcome to the forums! Happy to connect and talk any time. 


     Hello! You’re a mortgage lender in South Florida? I’m interested in potentially taking that route as a day job while building an investment portfolio.

    I am! Knowing financing certainly would help with your portfolio. I think agents have a little more advantage in that they are seeing the property deals up front, but your networking skills will open up opportunities for investing no matter what day job you choose. I'd choose whatever suits your skills best and you think you'll make money with. 

    I appreciate the advice. I was at one point considering a degree in finance; I love studying markets and I am fascinated by money. Maybe being a mortgage lender would be a good fit for me. What qualifications do you realistically need to get a job in that field?

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    @Samuel Jolicoeur only need a high school diploma, 20 hour course, and passing a test to get the license. The hard part is finding clients and closing deals, similar to an agent.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    @Samuel Jolicoeur only need a high school diploma, 20 hour course, and passing a test to get the license. The hard part is finding clients and closing deals, similar to an agent.  


    Interesting, I didn’t realize mortgage lenders were a commission based position. I could certainly do a 20 hour course though. 

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    Yep, commission based. There's an administrative side to lending that might be salary, like underwriting. Banks may also have positions that include mortgages but also other responsibilities and provide salary.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Samuel! 

  • Detroit · Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    Welcome to the forums! Happy to connect and talk any time. 


     Hello! You’re a mortgage lender in South Florida? I’m interested in potentially taking that route as a day job while building an investment portfolio.

    I am! Knowing financing certainly would help with your portfolio. I think agents have a little more advantage in that they are seeing the property deals up front, but your networking skills will open up opportunities for investing no matter what day job you choose. I'd choose whatever suits your skills best and you think you'll make money with. 

    Hi! That's interesting. Do you operate in OH and MI by any chance? And do you have financing options for foreign nationals looking to invest in the US? (Closing on LLC)

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    @Arif Dede we can do an investment loan through an LLC in those states, I'll send you a message.

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 587 posts · 298 votes
    3y

    Hi Samuel-

    Welcome to the BP community, and congrats on starting your real estate journey!

    I'd love to discuss real estate with you and connect. 

    Feel free to shoot me a DM if you're interested!

  • Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Awesome. Battled the storm w you. Local native. In Pg w you. Growth here is phenomenal. Just look at the traffic. Meet up on day when your free and see what info we could share. I’m staying here and intend for more activity this coming year. Welcome

  • Developer · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 59 votes
    3y

    Samuel, 

    Welcome to the league! I also grew up in Punta Gorda, Go Tarps! Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

    Once I left PG I pursued a career in architecture for many years. As a licensed architect I have seen many sides of development. In 2020 I left (kinda) architecture where I am now an active investor and developer, with a primary focus on residential communities and commercial office buildings. This year I will be opening a brokerage. All of that to say, I have seen a few things and would be willing to connect. 

    I currently have a great opportunity for new agents in the SW Florida markets that are interested in investments and development. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    @Arif Dede we can do an investment loan through an LLC in those states, I'll send you a message.


     Please send me your contact info as well! Thank you in SWFL! 

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:

    Hello everybody! I am so glad to be here, and it’s so great to meet you all. Allow me to introduce myself:

    My name is Samuel Jolicoeur and I am a 22 year old native Floridian originally born in Naples and raised in a small city called Punta Gorda. It’s basically the halfway point between Tampa and Naples; right off I-75. A sleepy retirement town where the median age is over 60 and the night life consists of going somewhere else because there isn’t one besides the bars. 

    I earned my license in July 2022 and I am searching for the right broker for me. I was planning on joining the USCG and my deployment kept getting pushed back until now when I’ve decided I’m joining the reserves instead, which is why I haven’t activated my license yet (I didn’t want to join a broker when I thought I’d only be there a few weeks). That wasn’t where my passion lies, but real estate is. I am determined to make real estate my bread and butter in life and I am eager to learn as much as possible. Every day. I know where I want to be in 20 years but I haven’t found the path to get there yet.

    If any of you are locals to my area or nearby areas (Tampa -> Naples) I’d love to hear from you and pick your brain a bit. I will be starting off as an agent of course but I am also interested in wholesaling, property managing, mortgage lending, development, and hard money lending when the day comes that I’ve got the capital to spare. If you can relate to me at all or are a professional in any of these areas then I would love to talk more about it as I start to find my path forward. Basically I’m looking for a mentor. 

    With that being said I hope you all have an incredible day and that you all find success and happiness. 

    -Samuel Jolicoeur 


  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Congratulations, from another PG Agent/Investor/Real Estate Guru! SWFL is BUSY! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Diane Felix:

    Congratulations, from another PG Agent/Investor/Real Estate Guru! SWFL is BUSY! 


     I’m happy to hear it’s been busy! Still a lot of activity it seems. I’m joining Keller Williams Peace River Partners to start my formal training. Any advice you have for a newbie in PG?

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Hey Sam, I have my Vermont license with Keller Williams S Burlington VT!! Keller Williams is supportive and strong on education. Educate your self!! My advise is if you do not have a Charlotte County biz background join a team. Being new in RE on a team will provide you some leads, unless you have a BIG black book it will allow you to eat. I love KW and one of my mentors is Adam Hergenrother. HE and Sarah (his wife) are AMAZING - I wish you only YOUR best #nevergiveup 

  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Diane Felix:

    Hey Sam, I have my Vermont license with Keller Williams S Burlington VT!! Keller Williams is supportive and strong on education. Educate your self!! My advise is if you do not have a Charlotte County biz background join a team. Being new in RE on a team will provide you some leads, unless you have a BIG black book it will allow you to eat. I love KW and one of my mentors is Adam Hergenrother. HE and Sarah (his wife) are AMAZING - I wish you only YOUR best #nevergiveup 

    Hey Diane, thank you so much for the input and the support! It’s genuinely appreciated :) I am interviewing with a team that is actively looking for buyers agents so I’m already on it! I am SO excited to get started and to meet people in this incredible industry. I want to be involved in RE for the rest of my life, and I wish you the very best! Also, Vermont is absolutely gorgeous. I’m jealous! I come from a long line of Mainers myself. Who knows, maybe we’ll run into each other some day!

  • Kathleen JamesPro Member
    Stowe, VT · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    3y

    Hey Samuel, 

    I'd love to connect and speak about my real estate journey and discuss how we may be able to help each other! I started off with Keller Williams Vermont, just like @Diane Felix , and can't speak highly enough about the culture, education, and benefits of working with KW. I loved my time there, the habits I formed, and most importantly, the friends I made. I've carried the KW mindset with me on my newest venture, as the Broker at my newest office. I'm continuously learning and it is one of the many things that I love about real estate! 

    I don't know about what KW teams are like in your market center, but I'd look into joining a team that allows you to be both a listing agent and a buyer's agent. You'll learn how to navigate a wider range of real estate transactions much more quickly and can pivot easily in changing markets.

    My advice: treat real estate like a career, not a job. Show up every day, have a schedule and utilize time blocks, make your calls, have an accountability partner, and read or listen to motivational and educational books. Get involved in your local Board of Realtors so that you can be in the know on what is going on within your local and state boards and what legislation may be brewing that could affect your local or state market. Also, volunteer in the areas that you want to serve, come from a genuine place of contribution and always ask yourself: 

    "What's the ONE Thing I can do, such that by doing it, everything else will be easier or unnecessary?" -Gary Keller, The One Thing (read this if you haven't already). 

    I see a bright future for you, don't get discouraged. The first year can be the hardest, but keep your eye on your long-term goals and your "BIG WHY." 

    Always remember to think bigger. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:
    Quote from @Diane Felix:

    Hey Sam, I have my Vermont license with Keller Williams S Burlington VT!! Keller Williams is supportive and strong on education. Educate your self!! My advise is if you do not have a Charlotte County biz background join a team. Being new in RE on a team will provide you some leads, unless you have a BIG black book it will allow you to eat. I love KW and one of my mentors is Adam Hergenrother. HE and Sarah (his wife) are AMAZING - I wish you only YOUR best #nevergiveup 

    Hey Diane, thank you so much for the input and the support! It’s genuinely appreciated :) I am interviewing with a team that is actively looking for buyers agents so I’m already on it! I am SO excited to get started and to meet people in this incredible industry. I want to be involved in RE for the rest of my life, and I wish you the very best! Also, Vermont is absolutely gorgeous. I’m jealous! I come from a long line of Mainers myself. Who knows, maybe we’ll run into each other some day!


  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Diane Felix:
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:
    Quote from @Diane Felix:

    Hey Sam, I have my Vermont license with Keller Williams S Burlington VT!! Keller Williams is supportive and strong on education. Educate your self!! My advise is if you do not have a Charlotte County biz background join a team. Being new in RE on a team will provide you some leads, unless you have a BIG black book it will allow you to eat. I love KW and one of my mentors is Adam Hergenrother. HE and Sarah (his wife) are AMAZING - I wish you only YOUR best #nevergiveup 

    Hey Diane, thank you so much for the input and the support! It’s genuinely appreciated :) I am interviewing with a team that is actively looking for buyers agents so I’m already on it! I am SO excited to get started and to meet people in this incredible industry. I want to be involved in RE for the rest of my life, and I wish you the very best! Also, Vermont is absolutely gorgeous. I’m jealous! I come from a long line of Mainers myself. Who knows, maybe we’ll run into each other some day!

     Good for you Sam!! Someday we should make a meet happen. I am right around the corner. You will Rock this RE journey, Enjoy hope to hear your successes soon!



  • Real Estate Consultant · 33950 · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kathleen James:

    Hey Samuel, 

    I'd love to connect and speak about my real estate journey and discuss how we may be able to help each other! I started off with Keller Williams Vermont, just like @Diane Felix , and can't speak highly enough about the culture, education, and benefits of working with KW. I loved my time there, the habits I formed, and most importantly, the friends I made. I've carried the KW mindset with me on my newest venture, as the Broker at my newest office. I'm continuously learning and it is one of the many things that I love about real estate! 

    I don't know about what KW teams are like in your market center, but I'd look into joining a team that allows you to be both a listing agent and a buyer's agent. You'll learn how to navigate a wider range of real estate transactions much more quickly and can pivot easily in changing markets.

    My advice: treat real estate like a career, not a job. Show up every day, have a schedule and utilize time blocks, make your calls, have an accountability partner, and read or listen to motivational and educational books. Get involved in your local Board of Realtors so that you can be in the know on what is going on within your local and state boards and what legislation may be brewing that could affect your local or state market. Also, volunteer in the areas that you want to serve, come from a genuine place of contribution and always ask yourself: 

    "What's the ONE Thing I can do, such that by doing it, everything else will be easier or unnecessary?" -Gary Keller, The One Thing (read this if you haven't already). 

    I see a bright future for you, don't get discouraged. The first year can be the hardest, but keep your eye on your long-term goals and your "BIG WHY." 

    Always remember to think bigger. 


     Hello my fellow Vermonter, Stowe is absolutely beautiful winter, summer, and fall!! Great advice for Sam and KUDOS to you for always Thinking Bigger. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kathleen James:

    Hey Samuel, 

    I'd love to connect and speak about my real estate journey and discuss how we may be able to help each other! I started off with Keller Williams Vermont, just like @Diane Felix , and can't speak highly enough about the culture, education, and benefits of working with KW. I loved my time there, the habits I formed, and most importantly, the friends I made. I've carried the KW mindset with me on my newest venture, as the Broker at my newest office. I'm continuously learning and it is one of the many things that I love about real estate! 

    I don't know about what KW teams are like in your market center, but I'd look into joining a team that allows you to be both a listing agent and a buyer's agent. You'll learn how to navigate a wider range of real estate transactions much more quickly and can pivot easily in changing markets.

    My advice: treat real estate like a career, not a job. Show up every day, have a schedule and utilize time blocks, make your calls, have an accountability partner, and read or listen to motivational and educational books. Get involved in your local Board of Realtors so that you can be in the know on what is going on within your local and state boards and what legislation may be brewing that could affect your local or state market. Also, volunteer in the areas that you want to serve, come from a genuine place of contribution and always ask yourself: 

    "What's the ONE Thing I can do, such that by doing it, everything else will be easier or unnecessary?" -Gary Keller, The One Thing (read this if you haven't already). 

    I see a bright future for you, don't get discouraged. The first year can be the hardest, but keep your eye on your long-term goals and your "BIG WHY." 

    Always remember to think bigger. 


     Thank you, Kathleen! I would love to connect and discuss how we can help each other! Congratulations on continuing your journey and becoming a broker; that must be very exciting! I am genuinely looking forward to joining KW; I am interviewing with a local team tomorrow to see if we are a good fit. 

    While I need an income and can't start off solely dedicated to it (at least for a few months), Real Estate is my main career focus moving forward in life. Thank you for the advice on getting in touch with the community, and I will make sure to get involved with the local Board of Realtors. I also love that you suggest volunteering -- my community is directly where Hurriaince Ian's eye passed over back on September 28th, 2022. While life is basically back to normal as a community, so many people had damaged homes and have had to seek shelter. Maybe there is something I can do to help!

    Let's connect and see how we can help each other. I am a sponge who is ready to soak up all the information in the world. If I can help you too, I'd love to.

    Also, I haven't read The One Thing yet but it is on my list! Currently, I am reading Atomic Habits by James Clear.

  • Real Estate Agent · Punta Gorda, FL · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Diane Felix:
    Quote from @Diane Felix:
    Quote from @Samuel Jolicoeur:
    Quote from @Diane Felix:

    Hey Sam, I have my Vermont license with Keller Williams S Burlington VT!! Keller Williams is supportive and strong on education. Educate your self!! My advise is if you do not have a Charlotte County biz background join a team. Being new in RE on a team will provide you some leads, unless you have a BIG black book it will allow you to eat. I love KW and one of my mentors is Adam Hergenrother. HE and Sarah (his wife) are AMAZING - I wish you only YOUR best #nevergiveup 

    Hey Diane, thank you so much for the input and the support! It’s genuinely appreciated :) I am interviewing with a team that is actively looking for buyers agents so I’m already on it! I am SO excited to get started and to meet people in this incredible industry. I want to be involved in RE for the rest of my life, and I wish you the very best! Also, Vermont is absolutely gorgeous. I’m jealous! I come from a long line of Mainers myself. Who knows, maybe we’ll run into each other some day!

     Good for you Sam!! Someday we should make a meet happen. I am right around the corner. You will Rock this RE journey, Enjoy hope to hear your successes soon!




     You live in my area Diane?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.