New to BP - Introduction

New to BP - Introduction

Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes

Hi All, 

I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 

4Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Hannah B.:

Hi All, 

I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 


 Hi Hannah! 

Welcome to the community. It sounds like between you and your husband you have what it takes to be a power couple in Real Estate. You should consider investing OOS here in Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. The price-to-rent ratio makes for great investments. Not to mention our appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

We also have huge corporations here like Intel, Amazon, and Google just to name a few. Truly, you cannot go wrong. The best thing I did was to get started in real estate, and I have never regretted a minute of it. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bryan MartinBusiness Member
    Accountant · Springfield, IL · Member since 2022 · 189 posts · 100 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hannah B.:

    Hi All, 

    I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

    I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

    I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

    I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

    I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 

    Welcome to the forums!  Sounds like you have a lot of value to add to the forums with your work experience.
  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the warm welcome, Bryan! I look forward to contributing. 

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 587 posts · 298 votes
    3y

    Hi Hannah,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! Would love to discuss real estate with you, and connect.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 136 posts · 87 votes
    3y

    Hannah, pleasure connecting! I think you already have a lot of knowledge from the development side, which will be super beneficial in the commercial world. I'm curious to hear what you believe the most challenging aspect is when it comes to getting zoning approved or approval in general for a specific project (i.e. self storage, multifamily, HCV, etc.)? 

    I've actually met quite a few investors from the Bay Area looking to invest out of state. I will say David Greene's book on Long Distance Real Estate Investing is a great starter. Networking and building a team in your area of interest is a must. 

    As for syndications, Joe Fairless has an awesome book on syndications. I've done a few myself and happy to elaborate on the experiences. And lastly, for ADU developments, I cannot speak much on as we don't have those - to my knowledge - in Ohio. I've heard of ADU's primarily in CA.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 192 posts · 184 votes
    3y

    Hi Hannah!

    I'm not in the Bay Area (I'm in Boise) but I have a good amount of investor knowledge and work with investor clients all the time as an agent. 

    Is there any specific ways that I could help you?

    -Lexey

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alli Breighner:

    Hi Hannah,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! Would love to discuss real estate with you, and connect.


     Thanks, Alli! I used to live in san Diego, such a wonderful place! Happy to chat/connect anytime. 

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lexey Vezzoso:

    Hi Hannah!

    I'm not in the Bay Area (I'm in Boise) but I have a good amount of investor knowledge and work with investor clients all the time as an agent. 

    Is there any specific ways that I could help you?

    -Lexey


     Hey Lexi - nothing specifically for Boise at this time, but it is an area I am looking to learn about more. I've had many friends relocate to ID over the past few years. 

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tanh Truong:

    Hannah, pleasure connecting! I think you already have a lot of knowledge from the development side, which will be super beneficial in the commercial world. I'm curious to hear what you believe the most challenging aspect is when it comes to getting zoning approved or approval in general for a specific project (i.e. self storage, multifamily, HCV, etc.)? 

    I've actually met quite a few investors from the Bay Area looking to invest out of state. I will say David Greene's book on Long Distance Real Estate Investing is a great starter. Networking and building a team in your area of interest is a must. 

    As for syndications, Joe Fairless has an awesome book on syndications. I've done a few myself and happy to elaborate on the experiences. And lastly, for ADU developments, I cannot speak much on as we don't have those - to my knowledge - in Ohio. I've heard of ADU's primarily in CA.

    Hey Tanh, In regards to the most challenging aspect of getting zoning approved for large projects, I would have to say overcoming community opposition and developing an effective community engagement strategy can be one of the largest hurdles, at least on the West Coast. It's hard to get people to show up to hearing in support of a project, but boy do they show up when they oppose a project!

    Zoning challenges vary so much from city to city and state to state, the challenges really run the gamut, but that's what makes it a fun challenge! 

    Thank you for the great book recommendations; I have added these to my list.  Happy to connect! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Eagle, ID · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 28 votes
    3y

    Hi Hannah, 

    Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have some great experience to contribute. I have one client who works in land acquisition for telecom in the Boise area and it has been fascinating to help them out with property searches. It would be great to connect and learn more about how we can help on your personal investments and your business investments. 

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Welcome @Hannah B. ! Sounds like you and your husband make a great combo to jump into Real Estate Investing together.  I'm in San Diego here, but certainly have been around a lot of folks moving down here from San Francisco and surrounding :)

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Twana Rasoul:

    Welcome @Hannah B. ! Sounds like you and your husband make a great combo to jump into Real Estate Investing together.  I'm in San Diego here, but certainly have been around a lot of folks moving down here from San Francisco and surrounding :)


     I love San Diego! Thanks for the warm welcome, Twana. 

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Wallace:

    Hi Hannah, 

    Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have some great experience to contribute. I have one client who works in land acquisition for telecom in the Boise area and it has been fascinating to help them out with property searches. It would be great to connect and learn more about how we can help on your personal investments and your business investments. 


    Hey Ryan, let's keep in touch; Idaho is one of our newer prospect markets. Thanks for reaching out!

  • Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
    3y

    Hi @Hannah B. Welcome to BP. I'm an architect in Pacifica just outside San Francisco. I also want to use my skills to get into the development side of things. Let me know if you want to connect and geek out on zoning.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    3y

    Hello @Hannah B. I am in Eastern Idaho. Happy to help with anything you may be interested with in this area. My wife is a Realtor who works with mostly out of state investors. I am also a syndication deal sponsor purchasing RV Resorts. With what you mentioned about telecom, there could be some synergies there. We strive to provide great wifi and cell access to our guests, if we can do that while also earning additional income from a cell tower leasing the land, that could be great. Happy to discuss more with you.

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sean Walton:

    Hi @Hannah B. Welcome to BP. I'm an architect in Pacifica just outside San Francisco. I also want to use my skills to get into the development side of things. Let me know if you want to connect and geek out on zoning.


     Hey Sean - let me know if you find any good Bay Area networking events, and I will do the same as well! 

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Don Spafford:

    Hello @Hannah B. I am in Eastern Idaho. Happy to help with anything you may be interested with in this area. My wife is a Realtor who works with mostly out of state investors. I am also a syndication deal sponsor purchasing RV Resorts. With what you mentioned about telecom, there could be some synergies there. We strive to provide great wifi and cell access to our guests, if we can do that while also earning additional income from a cell tower leasing the land, that could be great. Happy to discuss more with you.

    Nice to meet you, Don! I will be in touch should any Idaho opportunities arise. 
  • Realtor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Hi Hannah!

    I'm currently househacking in Manteca (Central Valley) and I am a Bay Area realtor with the David Greene Team! Please let me know if you'd be interested in real estate meetups or events in the area. Where you can learn more about investing in California and meet other investors. I can let you know about future events.

    I'd love to connect and happy to help in any way I can :)

    - Jenny 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hannah B.:

    Hi All, 

    I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

    I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

    I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

    I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

    I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 


     Hi Hannah! 

    Welcome to the community. It sounds like between you and your husband you have what it takes to be a power couple in Real Estate. You should consider investing OOS here in Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. The price-to-rent ratio makes for great investments. Not to mention our appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

    We also have huge corporations here like Intel, Amazon, and Google just to name a few. Truly, you cannot go wrong. The best thing I did was to get started in real estate, and I have never regretted a minute of it. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Welcome aboard Hannah!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hannah B.:

    Hi All, 

    I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

    I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

    I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

    I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

    I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 


     Welcome aboard Hannah.

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jenny Lara:

    Hi Hannah!

    I'm currently househacking in Manteca (Central Valley) and I am a Bay Area realtor with the David Greene Team! Please let me know if you'd be interested in real estate meetups or events in the area. Where you can learn more about investing in California and meet other investors. I can let you know about future events.

    I'd love to connect and happy to help in any way I can :)

    - Jenny 


     Hi Jenny - Yes, I am definitely interested in any local RE meetups or events in the area. Thanks!

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    Welcome aboard Hannah!


     Thanks, Andrew!

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Hannah B.:

    Hi All, 

    I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

    I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

    I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

    I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

    I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 


     Welcome aboard Hannah.


     Thanks, James!

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:
    Quote from @Hannah B.:

    Hi All, 

    I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

    I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

    I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

    I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

    I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 


     Hi Hannah! 

    Welcome to the community. It sounds like between you and your husband you have what it takes to be a power couple in Real Estate. You should consider investing OOS here in Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. The price-to-rent ratio makes for great investments. Not to mention our appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

    We also have huge corporations here like Intel, Amazon, and Google just to name a few. Truly, you cannot go wrong. The best thing I did was to get started in real estate, and I have never regretted a minute of it. 


    Thanks, Steven, Id be interested in hearing more about the Ohio market; thanks for the welcome!

  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Hannah B.:

    Hi All, 

    I'm new to BP and wanted to provide a quick introduction. My name is Hannah, and I live in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). I'm a land use consultant who currently focuses on land use entitlements and lease negotiations on behalf of the wireless telecommunications industry. I have experience working in the private sector (focused on telecom projects as well as residential and commercial development) and in the public sector (working in a City Planning department). 

    I joined BP because I have recently become more interested in RE investing and would love to connect with local people/groups focused on RE investment. My husband is a partner in a construction company that focuses on residential remodeling as well as a landscaping company. We are always looking to meet new people and collaborate on potential business ventures (myself from the zoning/permitting side and him from the construction side). 

    I have enjoyed following along here and learning from this amazing community. I am interested in learning more about out-of-state investing, syndications, ADU development, and innovative house hacking strategies.

    I'm a housing policy and zoning nerd and will post interesting housing policy changes to the forum as I see them. There are a lot of shifts in housing policy happening nationwide that may be of interest to this community. 

    I look forward to meeting and collaborating with you! 


     Welcome aboard Hannah.


     Thanks, James!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.