New in Tacoma, Washington from Los Angeles

New in Tacoma, Washington from Los Angeles

Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes

Hello my name is Stephen. I'm new to BP. Just found it and signed up today.

I do have some real estate investing experience but I'm looking to get back into it because it's not my main focus.

I'm hoping to meet some fun people in the Tacoma Washington or Seattle area to network or just find new friends. I'm just learning the area so any advice or tips would be great!

Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone.

1Reply
15 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Steven! I'm a few hours south of you, but lived in Federal Way years back, and hope to live in Seattle again one day. I am really hesitant about investing in King county; seems incredibly tenant friendly and red tape happy.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome @Steven Stokes !

    Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on the Tacoma area as I am in NorCal. But I can give you some tips to get the most out of the site!:

    You'll find lots of good info in the "Learn" link across the top navigation bar, and in the link at the top of this introduction forum. You can tag people by putting @ in front of their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the "vote" button if you like someone's post or is helpful. And you can earn "awards" for various "achievements" - just look at your profile. Hope that helps with the site! Good luck on your investments!

  • Investor · Fircrest, WA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Stephen,

    Nice to [virtually] meet you. I live in Tacoma (Fircrest, actually). I've lived here about ten years. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I do know the layout and general feel of the area. I'd love to get together and share ideas and strategies.

    Alex

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    @Michele Fischer

    Thank you!

    I'm like you. I looked at Seattle and its not as investor friendly as other areas. I liked Tacoma because it seems to have some better opportunities. But we'll see. Thanks and keep in touch :)

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin

    Thanks for the tips. I've been looking through it and there's a lot here.

    Where in NorCal? I have some friends and I love the area it's beautiful up or down there now.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    @Alex Koerger

    Hey I think I know where that is, I'm not new to investing but I am new to the area so maybe we can work together :) haha

    Hey it's nice to meet you. Are there any networking or real estate groups in Tacoma?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 142 votes
    12y

    Hi Steven - Great to see you here and welcome to BP! I'm in Bremerton about 30 min. west of you.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Steven, I live at one of my properties (4plex) in Richmond, just north of Berkeley, about 20 miles north/NE of San Francisco in the East Bay. Are your friends on BP also? We're having a meetup in the East Bay next month..

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    @Stephanie Dupuis

    Hey Stephanie! I just drove through there a few days ago. Nice to meet you.

    @J. Martin

    I just joined BP so I'm not sure where to find or make friends? I just moved to Tacoma Washington from Los Angeles so I'll be here for a little while but I love San Fran and I used to date a girlfriend who went to Berkeley so we were up there a lot during football season. How is the market there?

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    12y

    Welcome Steven, I am up in Snohomish County - we have a meetup up here once a month! http://www.meetup.com/SnoCo-Connected-Real-Estate-Investors/events/138912582/

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Steven Stokes , market is up up up here. So are rents.

    Not sure if you were talking about RE friends/connections, or in general, but meetup.com is a great place to meet some new people. Hikes, photography meetups, foodie groups, drinking groups, , dating, knitting - you name it. It's on there. I just went on a great hike the other day with some folks around here just as a motivation to go do it. Was a cool group..

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Steven Stokes welcome to the site! Thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! If you haven't yet- be sure to setup some "Keyword Alerts."

    See you around the site!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Steven Stokes - welcome to BP. A good book list for you to further your education is http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/

    Another good book I like is Equity Happens.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    Hey

    @Zach Schwarzmiller

    thanks for the welcome. I checked out the meetup let me know when you guys have another meeting I would like to attend.

    @J. Martin

    yeah I just found it! It looks promising - not a lot in Tacoma, WA but plenty in Seattle and in California. Thanks for sharing.

    @Brandon Turner

    Thanks for the welcome. I set up a few key words. So far I'm enjoying the site a lot. I'm looking forward to learning how to work and use the site to help myself and others on here. Thanks!

    @Joe Fairless

    Thanks for the list of books. I'm a big believer in the saying, "Readers are Leaders." So I'm looking forward to checking out some of the books you mentioned. Thanks

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I like that phrase - I definitely believe it too.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I've spent most of my life in Tacoma and I know the area extremely well, I'd be happy to chat about the city sometime just send me a message. best of luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2012 · 480 posts · 116 votes
    12y

    Hi @Steven Stokes ,

    I'm up in Kirkland but used to live in North Tacoma years ago. I think it's a fairly competitive market over there. The waterfront and Pt Defiance park area is really nice. Hope to see you around the forums!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.