Newbie from Los Angeles

Newbie from Los Angeles

Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes

Hi there!

My name is Brenda and I'm new to real estate investing and I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible. The only real estate experience I have is an REIT index fund I purchased a few months ago.

I would love to be a part of the buy and hold community with a focus on single family homes and small multifamily properties (perhaps even live in one of the units).

It would be nice to find a deal in California, but I'm open to markets outside of California, for obvious reasons. Market is bound to go down again, right? I'm beginning my search in Virginia, Texas, Indiana, and Georgia.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little introduction. I'm excited to be here!

-Brenda

2Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

@Rosalina Brenda Berk Atlanta is really played out. The equity funds have pushed prices up too much. Texas has a great economy but they also have high property taxes and insurance rates which eat in to your cash flow. Avoid choosing a market just because you have relatives there. Unless they are professional property managers, they're not going to be of any real help to you. Choose a market based on it's economic fundamentals and returns. I wrote a report on how to choose an investment market. I'll be happy to share it with you if you'd like.

Best wishes

Mike

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Matt R.

    Thanks for those tips! I'll be in touch if I have any specific questions.

    Have a nice evening,

    Brenda

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Awesome @Ramon Jenkins!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk Welcome to BP.

    Be sure to meetup with us on the 15th of March

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/110489-bp-meetup-in-la-for-those-interested-in-out-of-state-investing?page=5#p784826

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Greenberg Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately I'm not able to attend, but I would love to know if there are any future events.

    Have a great night! Hope to meet up sooner or later.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Hi @Rosalina Brenda Berk ,

    I like reading intros and all the lofty goals & advice, but rarely do you hear what people have decided on and how. Do you mind sharing a little update as to how things are going? I'm kinda in the same boat as you.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    Hey @Peter K.  

    I just realized I didn't respond to your question that you asked back in April. I'm focusing on buy and hold and I'm currently looking for markets where that model makes sense. 

    I've looked into Lancaster, CA and did a bit of research on Virginia Beach, VA. My goal is to get a property in the next six months. 

    How are things going for you?

    Sorry about the late response. Hope this finds you well.

    -Brenda

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.