Newbie from Los Angeles

Newbie from Los Angeles

Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes

Hi there!

My name is Brenda and I'm new to real estate investing and I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible. The only real estate experience I have is an REIT index fund I purchased a few months ago.

I would love to be a part of the buy and hold community with a focus on single family homes and small multifamily properties (perhaps even live in one of the units).

It would be nice to find a deal in California, but I'm open to markets outside of California, for obvious reasons. Market is bound to go down again, right? I'm beginning my search in Virginia, Texas, Indiana, and Georgia.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little introduction. I'm excited to be here!

-Brenda

2Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

@Rosalina Brenda Berk Atlanta is really played out. The equity funds have pushed prices up too much. Texas has a great economy but they also have high property taxes and insurance rates which eat in to your cash flow. Avoid choosing a market just because you have relatives there. Unless they are professional property managers, they're not going to be of any real help to you. Choose a market based on it's economic fundamentals and returns. I wrote a report on how to choose an investment market. I'll be happy to share it with you if you'd like.

Best wishes

Mike

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Involved In Real Estate · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2013 · 246 posts · 75 votes
    12y

    Hey Brenda,

    That's great to hear. What got you thinking about those 4 states?

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Brenda, and welcome to BP! I’m a ‘fix and hold’ investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! But you’ll find a variety of every type of investor on the site, and everyone is amazingly helpful. Some pointers for you: The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do BP members! You can click on the ‘vote’ button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are ‘awards’ to earn on your profile. And you can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name at the bottom of the message box. Welcome to the site, and good luck in everything!

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @J Martin. Thanks for the friendly welcome and quick tips There is definitely a lot to learn and I'm sure other members will be great resources.

    I'll be in touch as I'm sure questions will pop into my head.

    Have a great weekend, J!

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Patrick D. Hi there.

    I started considering Indiana because I know one investor who is into turnkeys at the moment out in Indianapolis. I haven't done much research on turnkeys, but it's something I might consider.

    Virginia is also a consideration mostly because my in-laws are in Virginia Beach and I've had the opportunity to visit (over the holidays) and see what is currently selling. Since the Navy is well established throughout that area, my idea is that you would have tenants that would pay on time.

    Texas and Georgia are possibilities only because that's what I've heard other investors talk about, but I wonder if those markets haven't blown up a bit. In other words, I wonder if I'd qualify for anything in those markets.

    Thanks for taking the time to ask. It's nice to build rapport.

    Have a great weekend, Patrick.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk

    Welcome. Build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 50 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing or vacation rentals. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers call 5 ask them what parts of the city they like/dislike and why. Ask what they see them selling for per unit and expenses running by category. Ask them if they know any properties coming up for sale.

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk Atlanta is really played out. The equity funds have pushed prices up too much. Texas has a great economy but they also have high property taxes and insurance rates which eat in to your cash flow. Avoid choosing a market just because you have relatives there. Unless they are professional property managers, they're not going to be of any real help to you. Choose a market based on it's economic fundamentals and returns. I wrote a report on how to choose an investment market. I'll be happy to share it with you if you'd like.

    Best wishes

    Mike

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    Welcome aboard @Brenda Araujo

    I believe @Ali Boone having an upcoming Indiana webinar, fyi

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Ramon Jenkins Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into that.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Paul Timmins Thanks for the solid welcome. The Beginners Guide is definitely helpful.

    Great advice on HUD homes and on narrowing down to student housing niches and vacation rentals.

    Do you have any experience with either of those markets?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 557 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Rosalina Brenda Berk !

    Let me know if I can assist you with anything concerning the Indiana market.

  • Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Welcome Brenda, if you ever consider South Florida, let me know :-)

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Mike D'Arrigo

    @Mike D'Arrigo You should remove Atlanta from your "Markets Served" list since you no longer view it as worthwhile.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Does that mean you are subscribed to my site @Ramon Jenkins? :) Yay! Yes, there is one coming up on Tuesday for anyone interested.

    Welcome Brenda! I live in LA as well and only buy out-of-state. Feel free to ask any questions if I can help at all, or anyone on here!

  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    12y

    Hi @Rosalina Brenda Berk,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

    Glad to hear that you want to get started in real estate investing outside of the expensive coastal California markets. It is very expensive and hard to cash flow. Besides, there are so many great opportunites with better returns in other growth markets.

    Be sure to check out the Ultimate Beginners Guide as well as my 10 Rules of Successful Real Estate Investing.

    Continues success!

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Rick Baggenstoss I didn't say Atlanta wasn't worthwhile.I just don't see it as the best choice however for someone just starting out and looking for a long term buy and hold. There's no denying that prices have been pushed up and CAP rates have been squeezed by the equity funds. Some people still prefer Atlanta for it's appreciation potential, however that's possible in very select areas. Thanks for checking out our website though.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Rosalina Brenda Berk welcome to BP!

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Shawn Holsapple Thanks for reaching out. I'll definitely be in touch if I've got any questions about Indiana.

    Have a great week!

    -Brenda

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    At Everyone: Thank you for extending such a warm welcome. I'll private message you if I have any specific questions regarding markets that you're in.

    @Marco Santarelli Thanks for including your link to Rules of Successful Real Estate Investing.

    @Ali Boone I'll definitely look into the webinar.

    Have a great night, everyone.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk I'm from DFW and invest there. If you'd like some intros to that market I'd be happy to do it.

  • Wholesaler · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 29 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:
    Does that mean you are subscribed to my site @Ramon Jenkins? :) Yay! Yes, there is one coming up on Tuesday for anyone interested.

    Welcome Brenda! I live in LA as well and only buy out-of-state. Feel free to ask any questions if I can help at all, or anyone on here!

    Since Ali didn't mention it, she just wrote a great article on the BP blog about different markets to invest in. I thought it was very informative.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/02/22/which-market-should-you-buy-in/

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2012 · 276 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk welcome to BP!! I can also assist you if you have any interest in the Indiana market specifically NE Indiana. Thanks!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks @Henry Nguyen! Glad it helped and thanks for sharing it.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Brenda. Sounds like you got a good plan. I personally like in state syndication and Colorado for buy and hold. The LA area is better than gold if you happen to come across one. I have found BP to be a great resource for all my questions. It would be hard to mess up on a deal if you check with the bpers first. They have seen it all and will have insightful realistic feedback.

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    @Ali BooneI been on your webinar list since Chicago training

    Otherwise , yes

    " Does that mean you are subscribed to my site? :) "

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 120 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk How're you doing Brenda? I'm a Newbie as well but what i can tell you is to download that biggerpockets App & listen to the Podcasts. You learn more than you could've imagined. TRUST ME!!! They're the real deal!!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.