What's the best way to find multifamily properties?

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

Use an app like DealMachine or Propstream. Build a list on ListSource. Write handwritten, honest letters. Focus on absentee owners and start with the ones who live the farthest away and only own one property in the area since they have the least use for the property.

You can also drive for dollars, looking for anomalies of disrepair and then look them up in the tax records and use a site like Spokeo to do cheap skip tracing.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Use an app like DealMachine or Propstream. Build a list on ListSource. Write handwritten, honest letters. Focus on absentee owners and start with the ones who live the farthest away and only own one property in the area since they have the least use for the property.

    You can also drive for dollars, looking for anomalies of disrepair and then look them up in the tax records and use a site like Spokeo to do cheap skip tracing.

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Connecting with an investor-friendly agent in your chosen market is also a good idea. Sometimes, they have off-market opportunities that they can share with their contacts. Another way is by networking with property owners directly, such as through direct mail campaigns (trying checking Corefact)

  • Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

    Use an app like DealMachine or Propstream. Build a list on ListSource. Write handwritten, honest letters. Focus on absentee owners and start with the ones who live the farthest away and only own one property in the area since they have the least use for the property.

    You can also drive for dollars, looking for anomalies of disrepair and then look them up in the tax records and use a site like Spokeo to do cheap skip tracing.


     Thank you very much for the information.

  • Scranton, PA · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Hi Ricardo! As mentioned above, DealMachine or Propstream is a great resource. I'm an investor and realtor in the Scranton area and get a lot of off market opportunities. Feel free to shoot me a call or text and I can get your criteria and make sure I keep you looped in on anything I come across.

  • Realtor · Scranton / Pocono Mountains, PA · Member since 2020 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    1y

    Ricardo, welcome to BP, this is a fantastic starting point in your investing career, I have been a podcast listener since 2011 and have learned an incredible amount. 

    I would love to just give you a simple answer, however your question is not a simple one. 

    I would ask yourself what is your end goal? Do you want to be an investor. Or do you want to generate off market deals. Maybe your answer could be both. 

    I am friends with scranton based wholesalers and they pass deals to me frequently which I send to my client base. It is simple and effective. The wholesalers do all the leg work, pulling lists, cold calling, sending mailers and driving for dollars. In turn they provide me with a steady flow of off market properties. This is their full time job and they collect a fee but are still able to pass along strong deals to end buyers. This is the most efficient way for you to get a multifamily. 

    If you would like to generate your own leads, I would pop over to the the wholesale section of the forum and start there, and perhaps purchase some books from the BP store. Its easy to get wrapped up in wanted to learn everything, and it ends up in people losing sight in what their original goals were from the start. 

    Either way, I hope this provided you with some insight and I wish you the best!

  • Kate Daye RuaneBusiness Member
    Specialist · Scranton, PA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 44 votes
    1y

    Ricardo, our brokerage has a specialty in investment and multi-family properties. We play matchmaker, put our clients first in all arenas, and also manage. Reach out anytime.

  • Investor · NEPA /NJ · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 15 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ricardo Polanco:

    Good afternoon everyone, I am must likely new on bigger pockets and I would love to hear some recommendations on how to find off market multifamily properties. Thank you in advance.


    Ricardo, im offloading 4 units in Scranton, interested in taking a look?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.