Cautiously Optimistic in San Luis Obispo, CA

Cautiously Optimistic in San Luis Obispo, CA

San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 6 votes

Hi guys,

I suppose it's time to post here. I've been listening to the podcast and reading the forums and articles for a few months. I got started thinking about real estate investing a few months ago because a woman I rent sheep from (I have a peculiar hobby of training dogs to work livestock) told me that's what she did and had me read Cashflow Quadrant.


I'm the sort that does as much research as possible before jumping in, though the message here seems to be JUST DO IT.

My family has a history of real estate investment, none of it long-term successful, so I am trying to figure out the pitfalls instead of be dazzled by the possibilities. My mother liked to buy investments that 'were a sure thing' that I knew were not and my brother got rich house flipping until he stepped into the development end and got stuck with a property he couldn't develop and then the housing bubble collapsed.

I'm a small business owner - I run one fairly passive income (for me) non-profit and a VERY energy sucking event business (my husband's dream). The nice thing is I live off the first job and the second job, when it makes money, is gravy (aka, investment potential). I figure I'm about six months from a down payment on the type of investment I want. I'm looking at some solid industry-based towns that have low barriers to entry (specifically down payments and big rental markets) an hour or two away from where I live.

I rent my own residence, and I have very little chance of breaking into the buyer market with my current income. Ultimate goal would be to comfortably afford to buy a 10 acre farm in town (about $1,000,000).


I think the plan is to do buy-and-hold investment, using the cash generated from the cashflow to continue to buy more. At least for now. I think I've got the marketing and managment aspects dialed: I'm a professional marketer now and I manage so many people's needs and have been the house manager for every rental/roommate situation I've been in, so not scared of that.

But I'm having a really hard time with the confidence aspect of this stuff. I just know sometimes "too good to be true" is, and I don't have a lot of cash to spare (and lose) if I make mistakes.

Here's me and my prize winning stockdogs at a trial. :P

3Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
12y

@Kristin Horowitz

If you can make a move to the mid west you can buy your dream farm for 100k not 1 mil.... but then you have to live there :)

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Maybe not for this round then.. Didn't mean to get your husband's hopes up! Just know there's lots out there.. Redfin isn't the only thing out there, and not for all areas. But I signed up for the daily emails in any areas I'm thinking about, so I at least know what the market is like..

    Good luck on your search!

  • San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @J Martin,


    Just wanted to thank you again for telling me about the opportunities like Sandercock. I totally just saw one go up and go pending when I was out of town that was exactly something I could swing - so my mind is wide open now. Much appreciated! Got my real estate agent on it!

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2011 · 509 posts · 134 votes
    11y

    Is anyone here investing in SLO right now? Is it possible to cash flow their? I graduated in 2012, and am in SLO now for Easter with the parents, and I absolutely miss this place. It's a hidden gem!

    If I have a property here, thats a good reason to frequently visit!

  • Real Estate Agent · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi guys, I am also a local here in SLO. I look daily on the MLS and Craigslist. It gets depressing the prices. I cannot on my full salary afford a mobile home in this area. I would love to purchase a duplex or tri plex or 4plex and house hack. If anyone is trying to unload any multi family please contact me. I need help in the 805. I only have about 22k saved up at the moment.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2011 · 509 posts · 134 votes
    9y

    I miss SLO....Anyone going for Beerfest in Feb?

  • Real Estate Professional · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi Everyone,

    I live 15 minutes south of SLO. I've been working with my dad on multi unit properties for several years and we haven't found nearly as many opportunities in SLO as in the surrounding areas. I found a couple break even opportunities on the outskirts of the city a couple months ago when I was looking more in depth. 

    I'm going to be looking closer at the market now that I'm back in California to stay - I believe that now is a great time to invest in SLO if you can afford it because of the incredible development that is happening in the area. 

    I'll probably be going to beerfest! 

    Always open to working with other people,

    Tatum

  • Real Estate Broker · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    Hi

    @J. Martin , I read your post from two years ago on this thread and wanted to ask you a question about FHA financing. To qualify, you need to live in the property, right? So what happens if after a few years you need to move, have opportunity elsewhere?

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Owen Schwaegerle,

    How things come full circle.. I was just down in SLO on the way back from LA! Missed you..

    Yes, to qualify for FHA financing, you need to move in the property.

    If after a few years you need to move, you pack up your things and leave, rent it out, and keep making payments on your mortgage. I believe the requirement used to be 1 year living there, although it could be 2 years now. 

    Check with @Chris Mason. He's a lender and knows all the current rules. Been a bit for me on FHA. (Although you can do it again too! ;)

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Owen Schwaegerle and @J. Martin,

    When you get an FHA loan, you will sign a very official promise before a notary public that you will live there for 12 months.

    After 12 months, you've lived up to your promise. You can then convert it to a pure rental property if you wish, no need to refinance or anything. 

    There's a whole 'nomad strategy' of buying a new primary residence and converting the old one to a rental every 365+ days. Best execution there for various reasons is Fannie 95% LTV, not FHA 96.5% LTV.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2010 · 350 posts · 222 votes
    9y

    @Chris Mason...

    Are you all able to do the 1% down owner occupant conventional loan on the first property, 3% down on the second and then 5% down on any additional for the Nomad model near you?

    We've got a lender here locally that is able to do the 1% conventional for the first Owner Occupant and then 3% then 5%.

  • Real Estate Broker · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    Awesome, thank you @Chris Mason and @J. Martin

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.