Should I buy a house with black mold in FL

Should I buy a house with black mold in FL

Financial Advisor · Miami · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Found a SFH (single family house). Went to the open house and there is black mold in the garage, green mold on the ceiling and rotted and falling paint from a leaky roof. Seller says estimated cost of roof replacement is $34,500, mold and drywall remediation $8,700 and kitchen and baths are in original condition. Seller dropped price by $30k BUT similar house across the street is selling for $12k less and in less disrepair. Should I continue to pursue the original house deal by deducting their estimated repairs?

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Patricia Perdomo:

    "I saw a rotten apple at the grocery store for $1. The apple next to it looks to be in great shape but is listed for $0.80. Should I buy the rotten apple?"

    The mold house would only be a good investment if you can buy it at a low enough price to cover the necessary renovations. Replacing the roof is just the start. You may need to replace insulation, sheetrock, or even framing material.

    The only way I would touch it is to have a contractor give me an estimate for renovation, then lower the price far enough to handle that renovation. In fact, I would want to go even lower because there's a very good chance some damage is hidden and costs will run higher than anticipated.

    If you aren't experienced, I recommend you just buy the good apple.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Patricia PerdomoPro Member
    OP
    Financial Advisor · Miami · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Patricia Perdomo:

    Thank you. 

    "I saw a rotten apple at the grocery store for $1. The apple next to it looks to be in great shape but is listed for $0.80. Should I buy the rotten apple?"

    The mold house would only be a good investment if you can buy it at a low enough price to cover the necessary renovations. Replacing the roof is just the start. You may need to replace insulation, sheetrock, or even framing material.

    The only way I would touch it is to have a contractor give me an estimate for renovation, then lower the price far enough to handle that renovation. In fact, I would want to go even lower because there's a very good chance some damage is hidden and costs will run higher than anticipated.

    If you aren't experienced, I recommend you just buy the good apple.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.