New to investing from Dallas, Georgia

New to investing from Dallas, Georgia

Temple, GA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 2 votes

My name is Tyler Robertson and I am from Dallas Georgia. I came across this website last week when I saw a post from Brandon Turner on MSN about buying a multifamily home, and it caught my interest. I have no experience in investing, but I would enjoy to learn more while I save up the funds to make my first purchase. I would like to own a few rental properties, but my goals or not set in stone yet as I learn more I'll probably make changes to my goals.

Some of my questions would be, what are some of the most cost effective ways to get appreciation? I saw something about cap rate, what is that? Is it easier to own properties in proximity or is it okay to own properties in other states?

2Reply
31 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 149 votes
    12y

    @Tyler Robertson

    CAP rate is a term used in multifamily properties, and it is the NOI over the cost/value of the property.

    Starting off, your best option will be to purchase local, and in a proximal area, as this will make it easy to visit all your properties. As you gain skills, you can create teams, but you ALWAYS want boots on the ground in the area you are buying.

    I tell everyone to find a local REI group. Network, set up informational interviews, and between this resource, and that, you will be able to gain all the knowledge you need!

    Good Luck!

  • Temple, GA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    what is NOI and in REI group? What is the best why to determine if a foreclosure would be a good buy?

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hello Tyler. You came to the right place! I'm a buy/fix and hold investor in the Bay in CA. But you'll find a variety of all strategies here on the website. A few tips on the website and on meeting some fellow investors:

    Search for local meetups here or google a local REI club to network with other investors. On the site, the "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do the forums. You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the 'vote' button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are 'awards' to earn on your profile. Good luck on everything!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to the site tyler.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Tyler Robertson Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place to learn more about investing. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and The BiggerPockets Podcast. They are both great at learning the fundamentals.

    Oh - and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

    See you around the site!

  • Investor · Gwinnet, GA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Congrats on starting Tyler!!! Even if all you deal was look at the information. The most important thing to do with real estate is to keep going through the process once you determine your path and goals. Based off your questions. May I suggest that you look around the site and go to the Education area on bigger pockets. There is so much information on here that I am sure your questions will get answered. I am in Georgia and service that area so feel free to pm me if you have questions .

    Keep going and good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.