New Investor Here in California

New Investor Here in California

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 9 votes

Hi my name is Andrew, I'm a 22 year old retail banker here in California. I am looking to start getting my first rental property, I've been wanting to get into real estate but i always felt that i couldn't afford it but i have decided that its time for me to get serious about it. I have had a hard time identifying an affordable market for me because California definitely isn't affordable for me. I have given myself 1 year to save for a down payment i can realistically have 30k saved by next summer. I have been hearing a lot about no money down deals but don't understand them or how to acquire one. I really would like some advice on how to get started. I have watched thousands of YouTube videos by Robert Kiyosaki and Grant Cardone and it feels like they talk a lot about finding deals and getting into real estate but they don't say how. I want to start building my portfolio as soon as i can but i know its good to be patient. I honestly feel like a headless chicken listening to thousands of different advisors or "Gurus". Any who, that's my spiel, i look forward to being part of the community, Today is the day when i finally ask for help in my wealth journey.

2Reply
27 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    One way to do a no money down deal is to find home with a purchase price that is lower than the appraised value. As a simple example, say you sign an agreement to buy a home for $100,000. The bank does an appraisal prior to closing and values the home at $140,000. Your bank may allow you to take out a loan for the $100,000 plus your closing costs, (property taxes and title insurance) let’s say $105,000 to make it easy. It might be more if you need to escrow or pay a realtor but sometimes that isn’t a factor. The bank might not make you put any money down because you still have $35,000 in equity. 

    • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
      Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jo Bradley:

      One way to do a no money down deal is to find home with a purchase price that is lower than the appraised value. As a simple example, say you sign an agreement to buy a home for $100,000. The bank does an appraisal prior to closing and values the home at $140,000. Your bank may allow you to take out a loan for the $100,000 plus your closing costs, (property taxes and title insurance) let’s say $105,000 to make it easy. It might be more if you need to escrow or pay a realtor but sometimes that isn’t a factor. The bank might not make you put any money down because you still have $35,000 in equity. 


       Which lender is offering this? They will typically lend based on the lower of the appraised value or purchase price. This seems very new. 

      LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Andrew, welcome to BiggerPockets! Aside from the down payment, there are other costs that can come up after closing, so I wouldn’t put all your savings into the down payment. Always good to have a cash reserve.

    I’d start by figuring out what type of property you’re looking for. I usually recommend starting with a single-family or small multi-unit. For a conventional loan, you’re typically looking at 15% down for single-family and 20–25% for multi-family.

    Also, try to talk to a lender early on—that’ll help you know your budget and narrow down which markets make sense for you.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 234 posts · 100 votes
    1y

    Hey @Andrew Pierce!

    Sounds like you’re ready to take the next step, and you're thinking about this the right way. Out-of-state investing can absolutely work if you focus on a market where the numbers make sense and the local support is strong. Memphis is a great example! Affordable entry points, consistent rental demand, and landlord-friendly laws make it ideal for long-distance investors. The most important piece is building a solid team on the ground: an investor-savvy agent, reliable property manager, and good contractor or turnkey provider if you're not doing rehabs yourself. I’ve seen a lot of people succeed here by locking in with a team that handles the heavy lifting and keeps things running smoothly. If you’re considering Memphis or want help mapping out what it could look like, I’m happy to connect!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.