Greetings, looking forward to learning frm the group and contributing where I can. I am new to the muli-family rental investing world and my plan is too establish a portfolio of properties to replace my current income and move into real estate investing full time in the next 12 to 18 months. I live in the North Alabama area and looking to invest in properties in numerous areas where the earning and growth potentials are solid.
Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I hope you're able to make lots of connections and learn a great deal about real estate investing in Alabama or other states.
One thing I may recommend if you're very new to things, and if you haven't done so already, is to learn about Trusts and LLCs as you begin your real estate investment journey, either investing on your own or with partner investors. These tools could be helpful for you if you are concerned with anonymity and/or asset protection as you grow your portfolio.
Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.
@Ghassan Jabali, thanks for the info. I've been researching some info in these areas and will definitely utilize a legal person and a CPA going forward.
Hey Jerome, welcome to the community! Multi-family is a smart way to build cash flow and eventually replace your income. If you’re looking at multiple markets, the Midwest has some strong opportunities—properties are often more affordable, rental demand is steady, and you can get good cash flow while still leaving room for appreciation.
Even when exploring different areas, it helps to start with one or two neighborhoods you can really learn—tenant demand, expenses, and management challenges—so your first few deals are smooth. Are you planning to self-manage your units or use a property manager for the early deals?
Hello Jerome, I'm in the southest of the south in Mobile. My husband and I have looked at areas in northern Alabama to escape this southern humidity! Nice to meet a fellow Alabama - Roll Tide?
@Jennifer Johnson, thanks for the note. I've been researching some properties up my way. I'll keep in touch as some opps develop. And yes, Roll Tide!!!
Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
1y
Welcome Jermoe! That’s a solid plan, North Alabama has some great growth pockets. Excited to follow your journey into full-time real estate. Cost segregation becomes an even bigger advantage once you qualify for REPS!
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Welcome Jerome! Seems like a solid plan. I would look to leverage w-2 income as well. Consider house hacking and partnering with people to maximize your financial position so you can keep acquiring buildings!
New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 458 votes
1y
Welcome, Jerome! That’s a strong vision, scaling a multifamily portfolio to replace your income in 12 to 18 months is ambitious, but absolutely doable with focus and good deal analysis.
Huntsville and the broader North Alabama market have great fundamentals: strong job growth, population inflow, and relatively affordable entry points. Keep sharpening your underwriting skills, build solid local connections, and stay disciplined with your numbers.
Looking forward to seeing your progress! Feel free to reach out if you need any help!
Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
1y
Hey Jerome! Welcome to BiggerPockets — sounds like you’ve got a clear plan and timeline, which is huge for staying focused. Jumping into multi-family rentals is a smart way to scale cash flow, and having a goal of replacing your income in 12–18 months is ambitious but totally doable with the right deals and team.
Since you’re looking across multiple areas, connecting with local investors or property managers in each market can save you a ton of headaches and give you insight into growth potential you might not see online.
Curious — are you focusing on smaller multi-family units to start, or thinking bigger right out of the gate?