New Investor from Jacksonville Looking to Learn & Connect

New Investor from Jacksonville Looking to Learn & Connect

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone! My name is Kofi, and I’m based in Jacksonville, FL. I’m brand new to real estate investing and joined BiggerPockets to learn, network, and grow. I’m especially hoping to connect with local investors or find a mentor in the Jacksonville area.

3Reply
109 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Kofi Amanquah:

    Hi everyone! My name is Kofi, and I’m based in Jacksonville, FL. I’m brand new to real estate investing and joined BiggerPockets to learn, network, and grow. I’m especially hoping to connect with local investors or find a mentor in the Jacksonville area.

    Hey @Kofi Amanquah, welcome to the BP Forum! What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking for properties in your local market or somewhere else?

    • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 3 votes
      11mo

      @Jaycee Greene Thanks for the welcome! I'm mostly interested in single-family homes and duplexes (so SFR and 2–4 MF). My plan is to start buy-and-hold investing around early 2026. I'd prefer something more turn-key for my first deal since I'm still learning the ropes. I'm looking to invest locally here in Florida, probably around the Jacksonville area, and I'll figure out my price range as I get closer to buying.

    • Investor · Toledo-MetroDetroit-Dallas · Member since 2022 · 122 posts · 71 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Kofi Amanquah:

      @Jaycee Greene Thanks for the welcome! I'm mostly interested in single-family homes and duplexes (so SFR and 2–4 MF). My plan is to start buy-and-hold investing around early 2026. I'd prefer something more turn-key for my first deal since I'm still learning the ropes. I'm looking to invest locally here in Florida, probably around the Jacksonville area, and I'll figure out my price range as I get closer to buying.

      Welcome to BP, Kofi!

      Jacksonville sounds like an exciting market for sure. If your numbers don't pan out there, I highly suggest looking into turnkey out-of-state investing. I'm talking SFH rentals ready-to-go for around 100k, passing the 1% rule or really close to it ($1000/month rent). Happy to share more about my journey across Toledo, Detroit and Dallas so far!

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Kofi Amanquah:

      @Jaycee Greene Thanks for the welcome! I'm mostly interested in single-family homes and duplexes (so SFR and 2–4 MF). My plan is to start buy-and-hold investing around early 2026. I'd prefer something more turn-key for my first deal since I'm still learning the ropes. I'm looking to invest locally here in Florida, probably around the Jacksonville area, and I'll figure out my price range as I get closer to buying.

      Hey @Kofi Amanquah, do you think you'd be interested in a duplex like this one: 7815 Jasper Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32211?

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    If you are looking for a mentor, attend a local networking event and chat with the people who attend the event.

    Mention to them that you are new and mention to them what value in return for their knowledge.

    Best of luck

  • Property Manager · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 277 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Kofi Amanquah:

    Hi everyone! My name is Kofi, and I’m based in Jacksonville, FL. I’m brand new to real estate investing and joined BiggerPockets to learn, network, and grow. I’m especially hoping to connect with local investors or find a mentor in the Jacksonville area.

     @Kofi Amanquah welcome to BP and the journey man! We've bought 150 units of MF in Jacksonville and still own 51 units. We manage for other owners in Jacksonville and Orlando as well. 

    I think you are smarter than most looking to start with something turnkey whereas many people want to jump into rehab projects to try and force equity, and it's got a learning curve to it if you don't have a background in RE or construction. 

    I would definitely start trying to narrow your criteria for a property to better articulate what you are looking for and why. The turnkey is definitely a great start but I would recommend narrowing a bit further if you could.

    What parts of town are you interested in? Do you want to be just by the beaches, are you okay with rougher areas like Arlington, westside, Moncrief, etc. Or do you only want A locations like Avondale, San Marco, beaches, southside, st johns county, etc.

    What age of property are you interested in? Do you only want new construction or do you want rehabbed older properties? If you are okay with older properties, make sure to learn the different things to look out for with those properties (galvanized plumbing, aluminum wiring, stab lock electrical panels, historic windows, etc)

    Also, back into what sort of downpayment you can put together and what type of property you can look at. Many properties now are requiring larger down payments due to the NOI and what interest rates are. Most likely your down payment might be 30-50% depending on the property and the price you pay, so how much can you put down and then back into your total acquisition cost. Talk to a lender and send them some example properties and see what your personal financials and the deal can support.

    If you have any specific questions or anything else feel free to PM me and we can jump on a call or something. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.