New member to the real estate world

New member to the real estate world

Whitewater, WI · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 18 votes

I’m in my twenties and looking to become financially free, so I figured there’s no better place to start than in the real estate world. I’m currently in college and serving in the military, and I’m doing my due diligence now to set myself up for success and begin my journey the right way.

2Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11mo

I would utilize your VA loan and do a house hack. It's a wonderful product for your situation.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    I would utilize your VA loan and do a house hack. It's a wonderful product for your situation.

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 858 votes
    11mo

    You're in the right place Evan! I wish I'd gotten some expert help/mentoring when I was in my 20s and first starting out. Instead I foolishly went it alone and had to learn every lesson the hard way. 

    I originally invested by actively buying rentals. I discovered I hated being a landlord and ended up selling off my properties. Today I invest passively as a member of the Co-Investing Club. We meet every month to vet deals together and go in on them with relatively small amounts per person. 

    My first question to you is What are your goals? Do you want to build a real estate investing side hustle or do you just want strong investment returns? If the latter, there are easier ways than rental properties. But there's no wrong answer to that question. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 464 posts · 253 votes
    11mo

    Hi Evan from Whitewater, WI!

    You are in your twenties, in college, and serving in the military and looking to become financial free and see real estate investing as a part of your path.

    Thank you for your service and congratulations, I wish I had the same wisdom about real estate investing at your age.

    Happy to be a resource for you.

    To Your Success!

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    @Evan Rekowski 

    Welcome to BP! You’re already in the right place by being here and have the right idea by investing in real estate to chase financial freedom.

    It’s one of the few assets that appreciates in value while still offering tax benefits through depreciation.

    A house hack is a great way to get started as mentioned above. It lets you live for less (or even free) while building equity and learning the ropes. As you grow, you’ll want to understand how different types of rental properties interact with your income, especially the difference between passive and non-passive income from a tax perspective.

    There are also some unique tax benefits and deductions available since you’re in the military; it’s worth looking into how your service benefits and possible home exclusions might work with the type of real estate you invest in.

    Understand the STR loophole and active participation as both can save you taxes. I am assuming you do not qualify as REPS, but learn about it as you have a long way to go.

    Just keep learning and you’ll be in a great spot. Thank you for your service, by the way.

    This post does not create a CPA-client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers are advised to seek professional advice

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    You're in the right place! Welcome!

    I'd recommend looking into your VA loan. It can make a lot of sense to buy a property at each place you're stationed assuming the property cash flows post move out.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 457 votes
    11mo

    Welcome, Evan  you're stepping into the game early, and that’s a major advantage. Starting in your twenties with discipline and a long view puts time on your side. Between college and military service, you’re already building traits that translate well into real estate: structure, resilience, and a mission-driven mindset.

    Use this season to learn markets, build a strong network, and understand the numbers behind a good deal. When you’re ready to move, you’ll move with confidence.

    Pumped to see where this takes you, reach out anytime if I can help sharpen your strategy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.