Rookie looking to build a local SFH portfolio

Rookie looking to build a local SFH portfolio

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 3 votes

I want my current W-2 to be my last job by building a quality portfolio of single family homes in our walkable community that cater to growing families that want access to a good school district and local ammenities.  Looking to shadow, intern, or work on deals while learning about property management.

3Reply
110 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
9mo

What metrics have you calculated to replace your W-2 income?

1) Average positive cashflow per property?

2) How many properties?

3) How conservative are your numbers above?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    9mo

    Hey welcome Craig. Would love to connect. I go to PA quite a bit. Cool state!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9mo

    What metrics have you calculated to replace your W-2 income?

    1) Average positive cashflow per property?

    2) How many properties?

    3) How conservative are your numbers above?

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    @Craig J Hinton Those who are most successful with single family homes typically generate their most meaningful returns at exit through appreciation, not ongoing cash flow. If the goal is truly to replace W2 income, a more realistic approach would involve development related investments that have the potential to generate more meaningful cash flow. That said, this path is not appropriate for most investors, as the income is typically uneven, project based, and far less predictable than traditional employment. The work around tends to be instances where the investor is self-managing the construction or is collecting fees built into the development deals, but this requires fairly large total cost projects.

    I see you pinned Philadelphia, what neighborhood are you focused on?

  • Developer · PA · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    8mo

    @Craig J Hinton Welcome!

    I love that you're targeting those walkable pockets. I went to Temple, so I spent a lot of time living in and exploring those neighborhoods. If you're looking for that "Goldilocks" zone - walkable but still family-friendly with solid SFH stock - definitely spend some time in East Falls or Mt. Airy.

    I actually worked as an arborist during school, specifically around Bala Cynwyd and the Wissahickon, so I spent years looking at the "bones" of those neighborhoods from the canopy down. They have that urban-suburban feel and incredible access to the trails, which is a massive draw for the exact demographic you're looking to serve.

    I’m living back in PA now after some time in NYC and SF, so I'm happy to chat neighborhoods if you ever want a second pair of eyes on a specific block. Good luck with the W-2 exit!

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    For anyone looking to get started who doesn’t have their own property, the best thing to do is to always begin with house hacking. It is the single best way to get into real estate investing with less capital, while gaining hands-on experience right in your backyard and developing a true sense of what being a landlord is actually like.

    The truth of the matter is that it takes a lot of time to reach a place where you can replace your W-2 income with cash flow. This is not something that happens overnight. It can take years or even decades to accomplish, but the first step is to get into your first property and understand the ins and outs of the business.

    Many newer investors worry too much about the end goal without taking that first step. House hacking lets you get in the door with as little as 3.5 to 5% down, gives you the best possible interest rate because you’re buying a primary residence, and provides all of the real-world experience you’re looking for.

    If you’re interested, I’m an investor and realtor in the area who also started with house hacking. I’m more than happy to connect—reach out anytime.

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    8mo

    I agree with Alan above, house hacking or a duplex is a great way to get started. That's how I began and it worked great for me. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.