First-Time Investor looking at Philly: SFH vs Duplex for a House Hack

First-Time Investor looking at Philly: SFH vs Duplex for a House Hack

New to Real Estate · CA · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

My name is Sari, I'm looking to get started. I've been a long-time BiggerPockets reader finally looking to step out of stall mode.

I grew up in Australia and spent much of my adult life traveling and renting around the world while enjoying a creative career.  I’ve loved the freedom of this chapter, but as many creatives know, it comes with a lot of volatility moving around usually in big cities stuck paying top rental dollars for everyone else mortgages. Since the pandemic I was pushed to think more intentionally about my long-term financial stability. 

I’ve always been interested in real estate and learning how others build wealth through it, and I’m now wanting to apply an investor mindset  to my first purchase.

My plan is to either house hack a duplex or get a SFH/row house and add light value

      I am interesting in finding investor experienced local agents  

  • if it was a SFH we would look to add value through light cosmetic improvements

  • hold long-term in a stable high demand rental area. 

  • If it were a house hack in a duplex, we would live in one then long term find renters in an area with solid rental need

I’m currently focused on Philadelphia, I was looking at Atlanta but Philly seemed to offer a stronger mix of lower entry points, rental demand and long term upside and it’s also somewhere we’d genuinely live, closer to New York and access to that creative scene. 

I’m especially interested in how people structured their first deal to support future financing and scaling.

I’d love to hear from anyone who can speak some wisdom into

  • debating living in a SFH and lightly upgrading vs house hack in a Duplex for their first deal?

  • started later in life in their 40's and focused on momentum. We are ok to live on the fringe edge of a up and coming area but nothing under C+-B for long term quality of renters

  • advantages and disadvantages of working with local lenders for bank statement loans or is it preferred to use statewide lenders for non traditional loans?

  • Do you think its worth jumping in or waiting to mid year?

Really enjoying learning from this community. 

Sari

2Reply
101 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    8mo

    Hi Sari!

    I'm new to biggerpockets but very familiar with the Philly area. I am a full time agent now but I was also a contractor here for 7 years. My first house in the area was a house-hack and it went great. I bought a 4bed, 1.5 bath and upgraded it with a primary suite. Having 2+ tenants you live with can be a lot. I don't think it would be easy to manage if you were not around much, but not impossible. I think on your first deal you shouldn't be too worried about scaling. Just get started and make sure the math works for you!

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    I think that buying a 2-4 unit property as your first home is one of the best investments you can make wihtout forking out a lot of cash. 

    It give you the ability to own and manage multi units - typically better rent to price ratios than a single family home thanks to the added units, a roof over your head, and a start in RE investing.

    Rates have cooled down a bit and certain deals can really start to pencil out for househacks. Don't expect to retire off of one deal. Its tough to make cash flow work when the bank owns 95%+ of the asset. As long as you are covering your expenses when you leave and rent it out - that is usually a win.

    Focus on: 

    1.location - strong location means stronger appreciation, stronger rent demand, and higher quality applicants.

    2. layout and features. Will this place be suitable for living standards 10 years from now? Is the layout funky?

    3. avoid full gut mess - aim for 1970+ that might only need some cosmetic work - something that worst case scenario you can DIY. You'd be surprised how many things you can DIY with the help of YouTube. However you likely won't be installing your own roof, replacing vent stacks, replacing electrical panels, removing knob and tube wiring, creating structutal supports etc. 

    I am an agent and investor in the area - reach out anytime!

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.