long-time lurker but new all over again

long-time lurker but new all over again

Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes

New-ish to BP. Long time investor in the real-estate and financial markets but never really got good at it.

Here to connect, learn, and explore some great ways to make some investments in my remaining years (I'm 57).

I live in High Springs, Florida and am married, no kids.

I'm particularly interested in RE investment opps.

3Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2023 · 176 posts · 109 votes
8mo

Hi Steven,

Glad you're here and you took the next step by coming to BP. 

1.) What investment conditions/ opportunities are you interested in? 

2.) How involved are you seeking to be inside your investments?

Single family, multi family, commercial - maybe all the above and then some. Fifty seven years young! Incredible and so much to go! Great to have you here, love to connect with you and be successful - because you already are :)

-Sarge

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Welcome, Steven.

  • Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    8mo

    many thanks Eric.

    Steve

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2023 · 176 posts · 109 votes
    8mo

    Hi Steven,

    Glad you're here and you took the next step by coming to BP. 

    1.) What investment conditions/ opportunities are you interested in? 

    2.) How involved are you seeking to be inside your investments?

    Single family, multi family, commercial - maybe all the above and then some. Fifty seven years young! Incredible and so much to go! Great to have you here, love to connect with you and be successful - because you already are :)

    -Sarge

    • Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Joshua Hardin:

      Hi Steven,

      Glad you're here and you took the next step by coming to BP. 

      1.) What investment conditions/ opportunities are you interested in?

      2.) How involved are you seeking to be inside your investments?

      Single family, multi family, commercial - maybe all the above and then some. Fifty seven years young! Incredible and so much to go! Great to have you here, love to connect with you and be successful - because you already are :)

      -Sarge

      hey there Sarge,

      Thanks for the welcome!

      what opos am I interested in?

      well, I'm not certain. I've done a grand total of one fix-n-flip and have owned 4 under-performinf condos and a few land/lot deals. That's it  I'd love to get into multi-fam, I think, and eventually commercial, I think, but lots of unknowns at this point.

      How involved? Well, for now. I am not ready to give up my full time job so as involved as I can be. Chattanooga + interesting. Wife and I did some poking around the area for a possible relo about a year ago. Great area!
      Steve
    • Rik HunterBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2020 · 107 posts · 62 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Steve Mann:
      Steve

      Hi, Steve and welcome!

      I work with out-of-state investors who are selling distressed properties, and what usually separates the wins from the headaches isn’t the asset type so much as neighborhood selection, tenant screening, and property management.

      Since you mentioned exploring Chattanooga as a possible relocation, self-managing at first can be a great way to really learn a market, screen tenants well, and keep eyes on a property in ways no PM ever can. Once you’ve built systems that work, you’re also in a much better position to know exactly what you want from a property manager — especially if you eventually scale and want to step back.

    • Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes
      8mo
      Hey Rik,
      thanks for the welcome and taking the time to provide some tips.

      ceetainly I'd be interested in exploring Chattanooga if the market still may provide oops.
      Steve

      Quote from @Rik Hunter:
      Quote from @Steve Mann:
      Steve

      Hi, Steve and welcome!

      I work with out-of-state investors who are selling distressed properties, and what usually separates the wins from the headaches isn’t the asset type so much as neighborhood selection, tenant screening, and property management.

      Since you mentioned exploring Chattanooga as a possible relocation, self-managing at first can be a great way to really learn a market, screen tenants well, and keep eyes on a property in ways no PM ever can. Once you’ve built systems that work, you’re also in a much better position to know exactly what you want from a property manager — especially if you eventually scale and want to step back.


  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    8mo

    Steven, welcome to the BP community. You are in good company. At 57, real estate can still be a great vehicle for long-term income and preservation, especially with the right strategy.

    • Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Steven, welcome to the BP community. You are in good company. At 57, real estate can still be a great vehicle for long-term income and preservation, especially with the right strategy.

      Thank you. Janice. I hope so as I'm going for it.
      Steve
  • Property Manager · Eastern Region, US · Member since 2023 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Steve Mann:

    New-ish to BP. Long time investor in the real-estate and financial markets but never really got good at it.

    Here to connect, learn, and explore some great ways to make some investments in my remaining years (I'm 57).

    I live in High Springs, Florida and am married, no kids.

    I'm particularly interested in RE investment opps.


     Nice to see you, Steven! Lord, man, don't use phrases like "in my remaining year" at 57 - I'm in my 50s. We have a century or so left, right?  Only my knees are complaining. 

    Chattanooga is most certainly an active investor town. I myself work in investment management, and the foot traffic through here for in- and out-of-state investors is immense, even now, when the market has slowed a bit. 

    There's still a buy area for whatever type of property you're seeking here, whatever class, be it rental or flips. 

    I work with quite a few folks touching on this industry locally and am more than happy to connect at your leisure for any questions. 

  • Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    7mo

    ha ha, thanks Trey....at least a centure or so left....let's look at the upside!

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    7mo

    Welcome back, Steven 👋 sounds like you’ve got a lot of real-world perspective already. Florida still has plenty of interesting angles. Happy to connect and compare notes—always good to learn from what actually worked (and didn’t).

  • Lender · Member since 2019 · 250 posts · 219 votes
    7mo

    @Steve Mann

    Hey Steve,

    I am in your neck of the woods! I have a few STRs here in Gainesville and have been the investing for the last 7 years or so :)

    • Investor · High Springs, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 10 votes
      7mo
      howdy neighbor!
      Would love to connect and hear how it's going if you're willing.
      Steve

      Quote from @Nick Velez:

      @Steve Mann

      Hey Steve,

      I am in your neck of the woods! I have a few STRs here in Gainesville and have been the investing for the last 7 years or so :)


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.