Property Manager & Real Estate Investor

Property Manager & Real Estate Investor

Property Manager · New York, NY · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 8 votes

Hey all! 

My name is Stephen, and I work in property management and building operations. I previously served as an Operations Manager at Tishman Speyer, where I helped manage 45 Rockefeller Plaza, and I’m currently a Property Manager at Derby Copeland Capital.

In December 2025, I launched my own property management company, Verelia Properties, where I manage condos and multifamily buildings. Most of my background is on the operations and management side of real estate—budgets, maintenance, vendors, tenant experience, and owner relations.

Now, I’m looking to take the next step and start investing in rental properties myself, with a focus on cash-flowing single-family and small multifamily deals. I’m here to learn from experienced investors, connect with like-minded people, and share insights from the property management perspective where helpful.

Looking forward to contributing and learning from this community. Appreciate any advice, resources, or connections along the way!

5Reply
92 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Central New York · Member since 2023 · 207 posts · 96 votes
    7mo

    Hey Stephen! Welcome to the community. I think you'll find its very welcoming, everyone is always willing to help and share from experience! Which areas are you primarily looking for in terms of market?

    • Property Manager · New York, NY · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 8 votes
      7mo

      Hi @Kiernan LaFaver! So far I've been looking at Cleveland Ohio and Birmingham Alabama. I've been researching a bunch of markets and from what I've gathered, those areas are very first time real estate investor friendly 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Stephen Twohig:

    Hey all! 

    My name is Stephen, and I work in property management and building operations. I previously served as an Operations Manager at Tishman Speyer, where I helped manage 45 Rockefeller Plaza, and I’m currently a Property Manager at Derby Copeland Capital.

    In December 2025, I launched my own property management company, Verelia Properties, where I manage condos and multifamily buildings. Most of my background is on the operations and management side of real estate—budgets, maintenance, vendors, tenant experience, and owner relations.

    Now, I’m looking to take the next step and start investing in rental properties myself, with a focus on cash-flowing single-family and small multifamily deals. I’m here to learn from experienced investors, connect with like-minded people, and share insights from the property management perspective where helpful.

    Looking forward to contributing and learning from this community. Appreciate any advice, resources, or connections along the way!

    Hey Stephen, welcome to BP and sounds like you’ve got a huge advantage coming in from the property management and ops side because you already understand the stuff that usually kills new investors like maintenance costs, vendor management, and tenant expectations. If you’re moving into ownership, the biggest shift is just getting really comfortable with deal analysis and buying right, because that’s what really controls your long term cash flow and risk. Since you’re focused on cash flowing SFRs and small multis, I’d definitely suggest taking a look at Columbus, Ohio if you’re open to investing here or out of state. The macroeconomics here are honestly on fire with strong population growth, steady job growth, and massive companies expanding or building here like Intel, Amazon, Google, Honda, Microsoft, LG, Nationwide and more, which keeps rental demand really stable. You can still find properties in ranges where the 1% rule is possible depending on how you buy, and there’s a ton of appreciation upside because of all the development and job migration happening. It’s one of the few bigger cities where you can still get both cash flow and long term growth at the same time, which is why a lot of newer and experienced investors are piling into this market. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

    • Property Manager · New York, NY · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 8 votes
      7mo

      Hey @Jimmy Lieu, thank you for that information! That's very helpful 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    7mo

    @Stephen Twohig

    Hey Stephen, welcome! Sounds like you’ve got an amazing operations and property management background, it’ll give you a huge edge when starting your own investments. For someone looking at cash-flowing SFHs and small multifamilies, focusing on Midwest markets can make your capital go further while still getting strong rents and upside. Pairing that with your PM experience will help you optimize income and minimize headaches. The key is buying in solid neighborhoods with reliable tenants and building a strong local team to handle day-to-day management efficiently.

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    7mo

    Hello @Stephen Twohig,

    Welcome, I spend many years as a property manager for my own investments as well as managing for others. I have also managed large apartment communities. I am a licensed Realtor as well. I got a bit burnt out and now only invest passively through my co-investing club. I get to invest much smaller amounts and am able to spread my money into several different types of real estate. Just invested in a self-storage. Anyway... just a different way to do things... Best of luck to you in all you do!

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Hey Stephen,

    Awesome to have you on here! I’m a real estate broker based in NYC and LI, and I work a lot with residential and multifamily investors. I’d be happy to connect, share some insights, and maybe learn from your experience on the operations side of the business as well.

    It’s always great to connect with people who bring a different perspective to investing—there’s a lot we can learn from each other.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.