Unexpectedly New to rental real estate and need advice

Unexpectedly New to rental real estate and need advice

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hi BP Community,

My wife and I kinda fell into a rental property, and it seems to be moving against us. We're hoping this community can give us some advice. Here are the Spark Notes...

Last October, we purchased a second home in the uptown section of New Orleans. At the time of the purchase, our plan was to move to New Orleans and keep and rent out our current home in another state. The move was for a mixture of personal and health reasons.

The house we purchased had a carriage house attached, and our plan was to renovate the carriage house, rent it out, live in the main house, and rent out our primary out-of-state house. If that plan succeeded, we would have had $1.4M worth of real estate, and the rental income between our first home (verified by rentals in our neighborhood) and the carriage house would have offset our mortgage, such that our financial obligation would have been only $3,000/mo, which is easily coverable with our combined incomes.

A series of events has upended this plan and moved against us in almost every way.

First, we needed to put almost $20,000 into inspection repairs. This included a complete re-plumbing of the house for $16,000.

Second, the house had a very large cypress tree in the front yard, which we decided to remove. The tree was embedded in power lines, which posed a safety concern, and we wanted to convert the area where the tree was into a parking space, as parking is very limited, and both of our neighbors park on their property in front of their houses. We were told that, in addition to being a convenience, it would greatly increase property value and attract tenants. This cost $15,000

Third, we had budgeted $50,000 for the carriage house renovation, but were subsequently told it would cost $85,000. Further complicating matters, the market commanded $4/sq ft for rental space, which amounted to $1,200 to at best $1,500 rental income. This meant if we did the reno, it would take almost 7 years to recoup our initial investment. We decided not to move forward with the carriage house. We also learned our desire for a parking space was against zoning laws and not viable.

Outside of the rental, I was hoping that with 15 years of experience, a master's degree, and three industry-specific certifications, I would be an attractive employee prospect. However, the market in New Orleans seems incredibly slow. After an aggressive four months of searching and connecting, only four opportunities presented themself and no offers were extended.

With all of the above in mind, we decided to put things on pause, list the house for rent, and reassess our overall plan. Unfortunately, our realtor relayed that, even though the house is in a very desirable location, the market would at best command $4,500 in rent. We pushed hard and, with some additions, managed to rent the house in 3 days at $4,700, with a property manager costing us $470/mo. Unfortunately, our mortgage is $6,300/mo at 6.3% interest, so we are losing $2,070/mo.

We don't know what to do now...Should we sell the house (likely at a loss) and walk away? Should we wait 12-24 months and see if we can refi to get our payments down (we think we would need a 4 or 5% rate to be viable)? Should we aggressively pay down the principal and refi?

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

2Reply
114 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2022 · 198 posts · 161 votes
    7mo

    How much would you be paying for comparable housing without the carriage house? In other words, if you had rented or bought a house that did not have the carriage house + renter helping with the mortgage, would you be paying near $2070 as a monthly mortgage?

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7mo

    We would probably be paying $4,000 to $4,500/mo if we rented a comparable property without the carriage house 

  • Lender · Marlboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 243 posts · 150 votes
    7mo

    The fact you got it rented at $4,700 that quickly is a really good sign. That tells you the asset itself is desirable, even if the current payment doesn’t work.

    At a ~$2k/month shortfall, this really becomes a question of whether that loss is temporary (until you can refinance or improve income) or permanent. One thing a lot of owners miss is that even a 1–1.5% drop in rate on a loan that size can reduce the payment materially. It may not turn it into a cash-flow property, but it can significantly reduce the bleed.

    The other key question is equity. If selling today means bringing cash to closing, holding and improving the financing later is often the better move. If you can sell cleanly and redeploy the capital into something that cash flows, that’s worth considering too.

    You did the hard part already by stabilizing it with a tenant. Now it’s just about making the best strategic decision from here. Happy to look at the numbers with you if you want another perspective.

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2022 · 198 posts · 161 votes
    7mo

    Wait, the house in another state is being rented right now at that net loss of $2070 per month? And the carriage house that is attached to the house you're living in is sitting empty due to the cost of the repairs and zoning laws?

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2022 · 198 posts · 161 votes
    7mo

    In any event, I think if you can get a job very very quickly, and if you're not too emotionally burnt out you could hold it. But it kind of sounds like this situation is untenable. Is that right? 

    If you can't find a job soon, I'd consider selling. Yes, you're going to take a haircut. But three important points to consider are:

    1. If you keep it with hopes to refinance in 1-2 years, that's basically a bet. The future is hard to predict, and real estate is more forgiving at 5+ years than 1-2 years.

    2. It sounds like you've already submitted to the Sunk Cost Fallacy. These properties can easily continue to eat your lunch just because you feel like they have eaten so much already. 

    3. If you decide to aggressively pay off the mortgage, it may still be a bad investment. Anything will cashflow if you throw enough money at it.

  • Caeli RidgeBusiness Member
    Lender · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 13 votes
    7mo

    First off — I’m really sorry you’re dealing with all of this at once. You made a thoughtful plan, and it’s frustrating when multiple variables shift at the same time.

    From a purely financial standpoint, you’re really deciding between three paths: sell now, hold and hope for rate relief, or restructure the debt.

    A few objective things to think through:

    1. The current monthly loss.
    At roughly $2,070/month negative (before maintenance reserves), you’re looking at about $25K per year carrying cost. The question becomes: how long are you willing and able to sustain that?

    2. Refinancing reality.
    To materially improve your payment, you’d likely need rates closer to the mid-4% range based on your current balance and payment. While rate forecasts suggest gradual easing over time, there’s no guarantee of timing or magnitude. Refinancing also requires equity, closing costs, and stable market value.

    3. Principal paydown strategy.
    Aggressively paying down principal can lower payment risk long-term, but that ties up liquidity. In uncertain markets, preserving cash reserves is often more important than accelerating payoff.

    4. Selling at a loss vs. controlled exit.
    If the property would sell close to your basis and cap your downside, that may be worth comparing against 1–2 years of continued negative cash flow. Sometimes the math favors taking a defined loss over carrying an open-ended one.

    5. Market fundamentals.
    Uptown New Orleans is historically desirable, and you did secure a tenant quickly at $4,700, which suggests demand is there. That’s a positive. The challenge is simply that your debt structure doesn’t align with rental economics right now.

    At the end of the day, this becomes less about the property itself and more about risk tolerance and cash reserves. If the monthly loss significantly impacts your broader financial stability, simplifying might make sense. If you have strong reserves and view this as a 5–10 year hold, riding it out could be reasonable — just with clear eyes about the carrying cost.

    You’re asking the right questions. The key now is to run the numbers side-by-side:
    • Sell now (net outcome)
    • Hold 12–24 months (total projected loss + refi costs)
    • Hold long term (5+ year scenario)

    That clarity usually makes the decision less emotional and more strategic.

    Wishing you steadiness as you work through it.

    – Ridge Lending Group (Licensed in 49 states, excluding NY)

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Tom Powers:

    Hi BP Community,

    My wife and I kinda fell into a rental property, and it seems to be moving against us. We're hoping this community can give us some advice. Here are the Spark Notes...

    Last October, we purchased a second home in the uptown section of New Orleans. At the time of the purchase, our plan was to move to New Orleans and keep and rent out our current home in another state. The move was for a mixture of personal and health reasons.

    The house we purchased had a carriage house attached, and our plan was to renovate the carriage house, rent it out, live in the main house, and rent out our primary out-of-state house. If that plan succeeded, we would have had $1.4M worth of real estate, and the rental income between our first home (verified by rentals in our neighborhood) and the carriage house would have offset our mortgage, such that our financial obligation would have been only $3,000/mo, which is easily coverable with our combined incomes.

    A series of events has upended this plan and moved against us in almost every way.

    First, we needed to put almost $20,000 into inspection repairs. This included a complete re-plumbing of the house for $16,000.

    Second, the house had a very large cypress tree in the front yard, which we decided to remove. The tree was embedded in power lines, which posed a safety concern, and we wanted to convert the area where the tree was into a parking space, as parking is very limited, and both of our neighbors park on their property in front of their houses. We were told that, in addition to being a convenience, it would greatly increase property value and attract tenants. This cost $15,000

    Third, we had budgeted $50,000 for the carriage house renovation, but were subsequently told it would cost $85,000. Further complicating matters, the market commanded $4/sq ft for rental space, which amounted to $1,200 to at best $1,500 rental income. This meant if we did the reno, it would take almost 7 years to recoup our initial investment. We decided not to move forward with the carriage house. We also learned our desire for a parking space was against zoning laws and not viable.

    Outside of the rental, I was hoping that with 15 years of experience, a master's degree, and three industry-specific certifications, I would be an attractive employee prospect. However, the market in New Orleans seems incredibly slow. After an aggressive four months of searching and connecting, only four opportunities presented themself and no offers were extended.

    With all of the above in mind, we decided to put things on pause, list the house for rent, and reassess our overall plan. Unfortunately, our realtor relayed that, even though the house is in a very desirable location, the market would at best command $4,500 in rent. We pushed hard and, with some additions, managed to rent the house in 3 days at $4,700, with a property manager costing us $470/mo. Unfortunately, our mortgage is $6,300/mo at 6.3% interest, so we are losing $2,070/mo.

    We don't know what to do now...Should we sell the house (likely at a loss) and walk away? Should we wait 12-24 months and see if we can refi to get our payments down (we think we would need a 4 or 5% rate to be viable)? Should we aggressively pay down the principal and refi?

    Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!


     What the minimum to rehab the carriage house so it's rentable?

    Logical Property Management4.9455 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.