Greeting from the Queen City

Greeting from the Queen City

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 3 votes

Hi BiggerPockets community,

I’m excited to be here and looking to reconnect with real estate investing after a long time away.

15 years ago, I was a landlord on a single-family home in Florida, but life and a corporate finance career pulled me in a different direction. Fast forward to today—due to an M&A situation outside of my control, I’m stepping away from that corporate path. The silver lining is that after taxes, I’m starting this next chapter with just under 7 figures in capital. 

My wife is still working and provides benefits, and from a household standpoint, we’re targeting about $6,000/month in free cash flow to break even. I should also mention that I have run small businesses before and have remodeled homes in the past and enjoy the sweat equity part, again all back in Florida.

I recognize that I could go back to a steady job and build this slowly—but to be honest, I’m ready for a change. My goal is to design a lifestyle with more flexibility: being present for my kids’ events and having summers free while they’re still young.

So I’m looking for advice from those who know the Charlotte, NC market well:

• How would you approach getting started (or restarted) in this region today?  
• What strategies would you prioritize with my level of capital and income goals?  
• Would you focus on scaling quickly (small multifamily, BRRRR, etc.) or prioritize more stabilized, lower-risk assets?
• Any specific submarkets, asset types, or pitfalls in/around Charlotte I should be aware of?

I’m open to different approaches and I appreciate any guidance you all have. I’m looking forward to learning from this community.

Thanks in advance!

3Reply
124 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo

    @Nathan Amann

    Given your budget and what you are aiming for, you will get better results picking up stabilized small multifamily properties or value-add opportunities in Charlotte. I think these give you solid monthly income and still leave some space to boost returns. Also you can reach about $6,000 a month this way and you won’t have to take on crazy risk to get there. First, focus on building a reliable local team. After you see your first few investments doing well, then you can start looking at bigger moves.

    Good luck!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 914 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Nathan Amann:

    Hi BiggerPockets community,

    I’m excited to be here and looking to reconnect with real estate investing after a long time away.

    15 years ago, I was a landlord on a single-family home in Florida, but life and a corporate finance career pulled me in a different direction. Fast forward to today—due to an M&A situation outside of my control, I’m stepping away from that corporate path. The silver lining is that after taxes, I’m starting this next chapter with just under 7 figures in capital. 

    My wife is still working and provides benefits, and from a household standpoint, we’re targeting about $6,000/month in free cash flow to break even. I should also mention that I have run small businesses before and have remodeled homes in the past and enjoy the sweat equity part, again all back in Florida.

    I recognize that I could go back to a steady job and build this slowly—but to be honest, I’m ready for a change. My goal is to design a lifestyle with more flexibility: being present for my kids’ events and having summers free while they’re still young.

    So I’m looking for advice from those who know the Charlotte, NC market well:

    • How would you approach getting started (or restarted) in this region today?  
    • What strategies would you prioritize with my level of capital and income goals?  
    • Would you focus on scaling quickly (small multifamily, BRRRR, etc.) or prioritize more stabilized, lower-risk assets?
    • Any specific submarkets, asset types, or pitfalls in/around Charlotte I should be aware of?

    I’m open to different approaches and I appreciate any guidance you all have. I’m looking forward to learning from this community.

    Thanks in advance!


    Sounds like you’ve got a solid runway and a clear lifestyle goal, which is huge. Charlotte can work, but with your capital and focus on cash flow, a lot of investors in your position also look to Midwest markets, where entry prices are lower, rents are stable, and you can stack multiple properties faster without the same competition. With your experience in remodeling and small business, you could leverage off-market SFRs or small multifamily, and with the right local team, PMs, contractors, and lenders, you can run things remotely and free up time for your family while still hitting strong cash flow.
  • Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5mo

    Charlotte is definitely the place to invest right now! As another comment mentioned, it sounds like multi-family home investing might be right up your alley!

    I occasionally get multi-family deals in the Charlotte Metro area. If you decide to go that route, let's connect!

    Welcome back to real estate investing!

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    Hey Nathan, I’ve been seeing this happen more and more lately, some clients of ours have actually successfully transitioned from W-2 jobs to real estate investing and other income sources recently because of the portfolios they’ve built. That’s honestly one of the beauties of real estate.

    I know you’re starting from scratch, but your background and experience should definitely help. Getting restarted, I’d first evaluate your entire financial picture to see what kind of investment fits best with your current savings, income, and long-term goals.

    Starting out, it helps to understand passive vs. non-passive income and the deductions and tax benefits available like mortgage interest, property taxes, depreciation, and certain expenses can all reduce taxable income and potentially offset other income when structured properly. Once you acquire property, accelerated depreciation through a cost segregation study can create substantial early-year deductions, especially on higher-basis properties or those with remodel potential. This can help offset income and reduce your tax burden while your portfolio grows.

    I’d also start building your team, a lender who can offer creative financing options, a real estate agent in your target area, and a CPA who specializes in real estate. That foundation will make everything smoother as you grow. Good luck, and happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Curtis WatersBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 291 posts · 176 votes
    5mo

    Focused on BRRRR opportunities for the past 9 years - 160 rental units in counties bordering Mecklenburg county (Charlotte). I recommend you limit flip or wholesale deals as the taxes will eat up a lot of profits. I co-host with Bonnie Laslo a free Zoom with many Charlotte investors plus others throughout the US - Tues Noon & 7pm Eastern, Wednesday 7pm Eastern - plus 7-9pm Eastern the second Thursday of each month.

    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4151553171

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.