New Here from Phoenix with a Character Home Focus

New Here from Phoenix with a Character Home Focus

Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone, I’m Joe Janus, Phoenix Realtor with Compass.

I work in Phoenix, with a lot of my focus around Central Phoenix, North Central Phoenix, Arcadia, Biltmore and Paradise Valley. My background is residential real estate, but the part I enjoy most is reading the property beyond the surface. Some homes need a closer look before the value, the tradeoffs or the long-term fit become clear. That is usually where I am most useful.

I pay close attention to neighborhood feel, architecture, renovation quality and how a home holds up as an actual decision. Photos can make a place look simple. The street, the layout and the work behind the walls can tell a different story. Phoenix has a lot of homes with personality, but personality still has to line up with price, condition and timing.

A big part of my work is helping buyers and sellers stay calm enough to make a cleaner decision. That can be especially important with relocation, lifestyle changes or properties that are not easy to compare side by side. I also focus on negotiation and contract terms so clients know what they are agreeing to and where they have room to protect their interests.

I joined BiggerPockets to follow more of the real estate conversations happening here and understand how people are thinking about property in different markets. I’ll mostly be reading, but I may add a Phoenix perspective when it fits.

2Reply
144 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3mo

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

  • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3mo

    Thank you, @Caleb Brown! Glad to be here!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3mo

    Welcome to the BP community, Joe! It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best!

    • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 4 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Dmitriy Fomichenko:

      Welcome to the BP community, Joe! It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

      Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

      Wishing you the best!


       Thank you! Seeing that I've only seen newer replies now is even more reason for me to set up alerts and notifications. Appreciate it!

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 527 posts · 200 votes
    3mo

    Welcome, @Joe Janus! Your focus on looking beyond the photos and evaluating the real-world tradeoffs of a property is something many buyers and investors overlook. Phoenix has some great character neighborhoods, and it's always valuable to hear insights from someone who understands both the homes and the nuances of the local market. Looking forward to seeing your perspective in the forums.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
    • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 4 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      Welcome, @Joe Janus! Your focus on looking beyond the photos and evaluating the real-world tradeoffs of a property is something many buyers and investors overlook. Phoenix has some great character neighborhoods, and it's always valuable to hear insights from someone who understands both the homes and the nuances of the local market. Looking forward to seeing your perspective in the forums.

      Thanks Patrick for the kind words! I'd wager property managers have a more intimate understanding of a home's inherent compromises than most. Between showings and maintenance calls, you're usually the one on the line when that "charming" original wiring decides to throw a fit. Phoenix has lots of character neighborhoods, and plenty of these quirks get masked by great curb appeal and good bones, places like Arcadia and Willo especially. That differential between listing pics and reality is where I like to play. Excited to swap notes with you on the forums.
    • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 527 posts · 200 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Joe Janus:
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      Welcome, @Joe Janus! Your focus on looking beyond the photos and evaluating the real-world tradeoffs of a property is something many buyers and investors overlook. Phoenix has some great character neighborhoods, and it's always valuable to hear insights from someone who understands both the homes and the nuances of the local market. Looking forward to seeing your perspective in the forums.

      Thanks Patrick for the kind words! I'd wager property managers have a more intimate understanding of a home's inherent compromises than most. Between showings and maintenance calls, you're usually the one on the line when that "charming" original wiring decides to throw a fit. Phoenix has lots of character neighborhoods, and plenty of these quirks get masked by great curb appeal and good bones, places like Arcadia and Willo especially. That differential between listing pics and reality is where I like to play. Excited to swap notes with you on the forums.

      Thanks, Joe! That's a great way to put it. You're right, we see the compromises up close, and it's amazing how often the little things hidden behind the walls end up having the biggest impact on ownership costs and tenant satisfaction.

      I agree that neighborhoods like Arcadia and Willo have a lot of appeal, but they also come with unique considerations that aren't always obvious from a listing. Having people in the community who understand those nuances adds value to the discussions here.

      Looking forward to seeing your insights around Phoenix.

      get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3mo

    Welcome to bigger pocket

    • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 4 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Fleischer Felipe:

      Welcome to bigger pocket


       Thank you for the welcome, Fleischer!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Joe Janus:

    Hi everyone, I’m Joe Janus, Phoenix Realtor with Compass.

    I work in Phoenix, with a lot of my focus around Central Phoenix, North Central Phoenix, Arcadia, Biltmore and Paradise Valley. My background is residential real estate, but the part I enjoy most is reading the property beyond the surface. Some homes need a closer look before the value, the tradeoffs or the long-term fit become clear. That is usually where I am most useful.

    I pay close attention to neighborhood feel, architecture, renovation quality and how a home holds up as an actual decision. Photos can make a place look simple. The street, the layout and the work behind the walls can tell a different story. Phoenix has a lot of homes with personality, but personality still has to line up with price, condition and timing.

    A big part of my work is helping buyers and sellers stay calm enough to make a cleaner decision. That can be especially important with relocation, lifestyle changes or properties that are not easy to compare side by side. I also focus on negotiation and contract terms so clients know what they are agreeing to and where they have room to protect their interests.

    I joined BiggerPockets to follow more of the real estate conversations happening here and understand how people are thinking about property in different markets. I’ll mostly be reading, but I may add a Phoenix perspective when it fits.


    Welcome to BP!

    More than likely, your biggest challenge is going to be "learning a new language" in real estate.

    While the stuff you mention is important to owner-occupants, investors shouldn't care much about most of it.

    Owner-occupants make emotional decisions, investors analytical decisions.

    It can be a challenge to actually learn the difference.

    Again, welcome and enjoy!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.