Introduce myself here

Introduce myself here

Investor · Altavista Virginia · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hey everybody, Larry here from Altavista, Virginia.

I've been in construction since I was 14 — jack of all trades, heavy equipment operator, you name it. These days I work for a fix-and-flip builder here in the Lynchburg area with 100+ properties. Turnovers, flip fixes, building, maintenance — that's my world.

Here's the thing though. After all those years doing the work, I realized I'd been locked out of the business side of it — the margins, the financing, how a deal actually pencils out. Nobody teaches the crew that part.

My story started back in 1998. I was up late one night with my wife, tired of paying rent, when a Carlton Sheets infomercial came on TV. I bought my first house in March of 2000 with what I learned from him, and I've spent the years since studying how the best investors structure deals.

I'm here to learn and to give back. Happy to talk rehabs, repair costs, and the stuff nobody teaches the folks doing the work. Looking forward to being part of this community.

1Reply
190 views

Most Popular Reply

Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 254 posts · 86 votes
2d

Welcome, @Larry X Daniels Sr . Your hands-on experience gives you a perspective that many investors spend years trying to develop. Understanding what repairs truly cost, where projects commonly go off track, and which improvements actually add value is a major advantage when evaluating deals.

You are also right that the people doing the work are not always shown how financing, holding costs, taxes, and profit margins determine whether a project succeeds. The fact that you bought your first home in 2000 and kept studying shows persistence and genuine interest in the business—not just the construction.

I think you will bring a lot to this community, especially for newer investors who need realistic guidance on rehabs and repair costs. At the same time, learning how to analyze deals and structure financing can help you turn decades of field knowledge into opportunities of your own. Glad to have you here!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William LokarBusiness Member
    Realtor · Northeast TN and Central VA · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 38 votes
    3d

    Hey Larry. It’s nice to connect with you. I am an investor and investor, focused agent in Lynchburg that works with many Bigger Pockets members. I’d love to connect with you and see if we might work together to help you grow an investment portfolio and build your real estate business.

    • Investor · Altavista Virginia · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
      1d

      William, good to meet you — and small world, I'm right here in the Lynchburg area. I work with a builder doing flips and turnovers around here, so I know the local market from the field side. I'd love to connect and talk shop. Always good to know an investor-friendly agent nearby.

    • William LokarBusiness Member
      Realtor · Northeast TN and Central VA · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 38 votes
      1d

      Feel free to reach out. 423-612-4400. I'm out of town until next Tuesday but should be availble off and on by phone.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 254 posts · 86 votes
    2d

    Welcome, @Larry X Daniels Sr . Your hands-on experience gives you a perspective that many investors spend years trying to develop. Understanding what repairs truly cost, where projects commonly go off track, and which improvements actually add value is a major advantage when evaluating deals.

    You are also right that the people doing the work are not always shown how financing, holding costs, taxes, and profit margins determine whether a project succeeds. The fact that you bought your first home in 2000 and kept studying shows persistence and genuine interest in the business—not just the construction.

    I think you will bring a lot to this community, especially for newer investors who need realistic guidance on rehabs and repair costs. At the same time, learning how to analyze deals and structure financing can help you turn decades of field knowledge into opportunities of your own. Glad to have you here!

    • Investor · Altavista Virginia · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
      1d

      Divin, thank you — that really means a lot. You put into words exactly why I'm here. I've spent decades on the tools while the business side stayed behind a locked door, and I'm done watching good tradespeople get left out of it. Happy to help any newer investor who wants real numbers on rehabs — that's the part I know cold. Glad to be here.

  • Specialist · I give advice - [email protected] - I focus on states where investing is profitable, reasonably safe & secure · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 9 votes
    1d
    Quote from @Larry X Daniels Sr:

    Hey everybody, Larry here from Altavista, Virginia.

    I've been in construction since I was 14 — jack of all trades, heavy equipment operator, you name it. These days I work for a fix-and-flip builder here in the Lynchburg area with 100+ properties. Turnovers, flip fixes, building, maintenance — that's my world.

    Here's the thing though. After all those years doing the work, I realized I'd been locked out of the business side of it — the margins, the financing, how a deal actually pencils out. Nobody teaches the crew that part.

    My story started back in 1998. I was up late one night with my wife, tired of paying rent, when a Carlton Sheets infomercial came on TV. I bought my first house in March of 2000 with what I learned from him, and I've spent the years since studying how the best investors structure deals.

    I'm here to learn and to give back. Happy to talk rehabs, repair costs, and the stuff nobody teaches the folks doing the work. Looking forward to being part of this community.

    Hi Larry. Nice to meet you. I went to a "Live" with Carleton back in the day and learned a lot from him. The main thing I learned though, is that not all transactions are done through a bank.

  • Brad SeidBusiness Member
    Lender · Licensed in 28 States · Member since 2026 · 134 posts · 37 votes
    1d

    @Larry X Daniels Sr Welcome, Larry! With your construction and rehab experience, you already have a huge piece of the investing puzzle figured out.

    The financing side is where I may be able to help. If you’re looking at flips, rentals, or your next investment, feel free to reach out. I’d be happy to help you explore lending options and see what might make sense for your next deal.

  • Ashley RigsbeePro Member
    Customer Success & Onboarding Specialist at BiggerPockets · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2023 · 69 posts · 25 votes
    3h

    Welcome, Larry! With that much hands on construction and rehab experience, you definitely have a unique perspective to bring to the community. It’s awesome that you’re looking to learn the business side while sharing what you’ve learned in the field. Looking forward to seeing your insights in the forums!

    BiggerPockets
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.