New to BP. From Lexington Park Maryland

New to BP. From Lexington Park Maryland

Lexington Park, MD · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi Everyone,

My Name is Mark. I currently live in Lexington Park Maryland or Southern Maryland if you will. I'm new to the site and real estate all together. I just started doing research May 10, 2014. My venture into real estate came from a friend who was telling me about an investment he was doing. It sounded a little fishy to me so being the good friend I am I began doing research and found out he was ok with his deal and that those types of things happen all the time lol. I was actually able to give him a little info on his situation.

So after I began doing research I was quite intrigued myself, and continued to dig for more information; which ultimately lead me here to BP. I have been reading a few of the books from the website including The Book on Flipping Houses and Real Estate Rewind. I am eager to learn more about investing and ultimately start investing. I feel like I have learned quite a bit in the past few weeks but there's still a lot more to learn.

My short term goal I would definitely like to find someone local I could work with on developing a partnership and progressing in real estate. I have always liked working with a partner doing things I feel like two points of view are better than one and can kind of keep each other in check a little bit.

Thanks

Mark

2Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

Hello Mark. You came to the right place! I'm a buy/fix and hold investor in the Bay in CA. But you'll find a variety of all strategies here on the website. A few tips on the website and on meeting some fellow investors:


Search for local meetups here or google a local REI club to network with other investors. On the site, the "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do the forums. You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the 'vote' button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are 'awards' to earn on your profile. Good luck on everything!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP. I'm quite surprised that the welcome wagon hasn't rolled out to greet you yet. Where's @Brandon Turner , @Paul Timmins et al?

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Mark Goodman

    Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Good luck

    Paul

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hello Mark. You came to the right place! I'm a buy/fix and hold investor in the Bay in CA. But you'll find a variety of all strategies here on the website. A few tips on the website and on meeting some fellow investors:


    Search for local meetups here or google a local REI club to network with other investors. On the site, the "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do the forums. You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the 'vote' button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are 'awards' to earn on your profile. Good luck on everything!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Mark Goodman Welcome to the site! Sorry your intro fell through the cracks - and thanks @Steve Babiak for noticing!

    Let us know how we can help you around the site! And be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts for topics like "Maryland" so you'll be notified when it's talked about on the forums ;)

    Any idea what kind of investing you wanna get into?

  • Investor · Chesapeake Beach, MD · Member since 2013 · 273 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    Welcome To BP Mark. This is the right place to start learning and networking.

    Good Luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.