New investor from Austin,TX. Gearing up for action

New investor from Austin,TX. Gearing up for action

Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 5 votes

My name is Doug Farmer, I’m a native Austinite from the Pflugerville area. For now, I’m in the automotive industry, but I’m looking to transition to Real Estate Investing. I finally caught up on every episode of Bigger Pockets and I’ve read some great books, including a lot of the ones recommended by guests on the podcast. Most of my learning is done on commutes in my mobile school (reads: car).

I’m interested in SFRs and/or small multi’s to rehab and hold (or just hold). Just finished J Scott’s book on estimating rehab costs and I’m working on developing my own spreadsheets now. I’m a UT Business alumn which is a fancy way of saying I have a spreadsheet obsession. I live up in Round Rock, so although I’d love to get out to the networking luncheons I really can’t make meetings until the evenings. That said, if anyone is in need of some Excel help or wants to chat about different investing strategies in the Austin area PM me anytime.

Thanks,
Doug

3Reply
37 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2014 · 199 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Doug Farmer! We use Excel to make sure all the numbers of a property make sense before even taking a deeper look. I'm sure it will help you in your RE endeavors. best of luck!

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!!!

  • Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 154 posts · 61 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP Doug! Lot's of awesome guys on here man, I sent you a pm.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @Doug Farmer 

    welcome to the site.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome from Round Rock.

    You should attend Harold McGee's lunch meeting (noonish) at Big Daddy's at 183/Burnet on Thursdays if you can.  This is some of the best networking in town.  

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Doug Farmer welcome to the site! It's great to have you!

  • Police Dispatch · Bastrop, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Hi Doug, welcome to the neighborhood! I'm new too and it's great to start seeing more people from our surrounding area. 

    @Bryan Hancock, thanks for posting about the luncheon on Thursdays!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Bryan Hancock Thanks for the invite, I work a good ways out in Georgetown so luncheons are difficult, but I'd love to join.

    Thanks for the welcome @Lorilyn B, I love the Austin area so I'm excited to meet everyone here.

  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Doug, 

    I'm pretty new to this investing gig as well. Trying to read and research as much as possible. Would love to get together with and discuss strategies at some point. I just leased out my house in Hutto and moved into a condo in Austin and am looking to buy and hold in the near future. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Doug Farmer ! Glad to have another Austinite in here. 

    I live in north Austin as well. Maybe we can meet up and have a few beers or coffee with @Corey Jahn . 

    I just bought my first investment property in Austin and always down to meet other people with the same mindset. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    Hi @Doug Farmer There are some really good investor networking groups that meet in the evening...pm me if you want info on which ones i recommend.  

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Doug Farmer welcome to BiggerPockets! It is great to have you and please feel free to jump in the community - there are certainly great people around here!

    And oh, learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business by checking this quick guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Doug Farmer welcome to BiggerPockets! It is great to have you and please feel free to jump in the community - there are certainly great people around here!

    And oh, learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business by checking this quick guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Yorba Linda, CA · Member since 2012 · 336 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    @Doug Farmer 

    Welcome fellow Bigger Pockets member! This is a great forum and I am sure it will help you learn many facets of the real estate investment world. I purchased my first investment property over 40 years ago and only wish that I had a resource like BP community when I got started! So you are in a good company.

    Some say that your net-worth equals your network, and this is the place to make right connections. You should also find investors locally and network with them face-to-face. Find people close to you using MEET feature. Also, look for investor meetings on Meetup.

    All the best!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Edward Synicky Net-worth equals net worth is a great quote. I'm definitely going to borrow that. Thanks for the MEET tip, I'll check that out.

    @Corey Jahn I'd be happy to grab coffee at some point to talk investing. Congrats on leasing the Hutto residence, I hope you're enjoying the land lording part so far.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.