Baltimorian Here...

Baltimorian Here...

Randallstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello Guys!

My name Erin and I heard about this site from a friend.  I've been toying with the idea of getting into the real estate business for years now.  I can honestly say I've never been more ready...

I'm very interested in buying a property in a low income neighborhood, fixing it up and renting to section 8.  If there are any good threads you can suggest to me, I would greatly appreciate it. 

I also want to thank this site in advance for the wealth of information that i'm sure to soon learn!

0Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Baltimore, MD · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 13 votes
12y

If I had to guess Id say Seth is  having a bad day.  Here is something he wrote just 2 weeks ago

"Baltimore is a great city for buy and hold landlords I own many rentals, manage them myself, continue to acquire, and I'm speaking of the lower income urban areas. I find lower income properties present many pluses. 1. cheap acquisition 2. low amenities 3. multitude of willing and easy to replace tenants. If one can be at ease with the negatives, specifically 1. rent court/evictions 2. maintenance 3 chasing rent money...(you'll usually get it but rarely on time) land lording can be quite profitable. the city is definitely block by block and have to know each area intimately as well as construction to succeed doing this, a lesson learned the hard way."

Id agree with the above assessment of Baltimore.  However, although I do like to be involved with my properties I have managers as a buffer to handle day to day issues and headaches.  For me if you want to grow you have to be an investor and not an hands on landlord.   Doesn't to take long to burn out.   Especially if your properties are management intensive. 

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    You should also look into the baltimore reia if your in that area.  That along with this site would be another great resource for you. 

    Check it out

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    12y

    @Erin Swann Section 8 properties have their goos sides and bad sides. But if done right you can have what I call "Money in the Bank" I couldn't find a well in detail of sections 8 post here, so I say do a little research on your own and see what you find.

    Good Luck

    Antonio Coleman "Signing Off"

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Erin!  I specialize in low income, but more the level below section 8.  The Section 8 Handbook is a great read, and you might glean a lot out of Landlording on Autopilot by Mike Butler.  There have been a lot of threads on Section 8, some very recently.  Search the forums for section 8, and set up key word alerts for low income and section 8.  Cheers!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Erin Swann  You might want to start with the BWI meetup group next Wednesday in Columbia. a lot of members here show up regularly. 

    There are a lot of active landlords from Baltimore here on the site. If you are willing to buy in low income neighborhoods and buy fixer uppers there is a ton of opportunity.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Erin Swann thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    Also - here's a couple articles you might enjoy:

    The 21 Best Real Estate Investing Books Ever

    How to Rent Your House: The Definitive Step by Step Guide

    How to Be a Landlord: Ten Tips for Success

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Randallstown" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Randallstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thank you guys for all the nice replies :)

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    @Erin Swann

    Welcome to the site! As @Ned Carey  stated check out the Meetup and you will find another great resource of free information. Here are some other things I would suggest. 

    I do not know your situation, but please be sure about your goals. I have had several clients go down the I want to buy low, rent section 8, and be in the city idea and then back out because they do not feel comfortable, or did not know about lead issues, or did not understand that buying low most of the times means work needs to be done. So just be prepared for that and ready so you do not waste your time, an agent's, or a wholesaler's.

    Best of luck to you! There are some really decent areas in the city to invest at a low price point that does not land you in a terrible neighborhood, but terrible is subject to each person's own discretion.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Tyrus Shivers  what areas in Baltimore City do you consider decent low income areas?

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 969 posts · 524 votes
    12y

    @Erin Swann 

    Welcome to BP!!!

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    These are the areas I like. Does not mean everyone will. Because I have a different perspective about crime and the nature of the people. 

    Edmonson Village, including many areas up and down the Ave.

    Allendale which is around EV. Mill Hill, Coppin Heights, other West Baltimore neigborhoods, I have clients that invest around 28th St. up towards Morgan State and this is where the prices begin to increase, but still section 8 heavy like Northwood, Waverly, etc. Of course everyone heads closer to the county lines, patterson park, and pig town.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Hi erin, i do what you dream of....a. Baltimore city is a dump filled with animals, similar to a zoo. So if your more interested in being a zoo keeper, continue the pursuit. B. better those same animals that live in the city also run it and are employed by it, in a form of welfare for the unemployable....think in lying or exaggerating? Own five properties and wait a year. C. the area your choosing for section 8 tenants does not matter, (the morgan state, northwood stuff is desired by sec 8 more than most however) some orher "low incomes" are also better, but any other area (edmondson, coppin etc) is a dump. What gets the sec 8 people excited is home itself, as long as the area isnt filled with board ups. D. You think dealing with baltimore city is bad? Dealing with sec 8 is worse. If 10 people work here 8 are completely incompetent, possibly illiterate. Inspectors will just make things up if you don't explain to them how to do their their jobs. the phone system is constantly broken, nobody ever responds to emails/messages unless they have to. E. Still interested? The sec8 voucher holders act as if their "**** don't stink" and are difficult to attract and get due to the competition from other landlords. Get ready to offer them "free ****" aka a microwave/ tv/ month of rent etc. F know anything about construction? Start learning or your going to get hurt by every "contractor" under the sun. G. Lead free is the only the way to go to protect yourself. Lead companies will insist you can just dust wipe and get a cert ( u can)...they get to hit you for money for a new cert every time a tenant changes. Do the extra work, and get a lead free cert (once ever two years or one time only depending ) now you're protected. Anyway, be careful what you wish for.....
  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    You tell the truth. Baltimore Investors LISTEN!

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed  

    Wow, you classify an entire city as being a zoo with animals. What have you done to make the situation better? Your comments are exactly why people remain hostile. It is ridiculous to characterize an entire city and in your post you seem to have little respect for the people in general. You say areas are a dump well they will stay that way if no one invests in them and I am not talking about buying a property and renting it. Invest in the people. Give a man a fish he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish..... I have dealt with Section 8 and yes some are just there for the paycheck with no care for the job, but hey I also work all types of Phd holders and all other certifications and guess what some of them can be just as lazy and non-caring about others situations.

    There are many investors in Baltimore City who actually care something about the people and generally have a good relationship with them. You have so many problems with the city I should see your name running for some type of office.

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    12y

    I agree strongly with Tyrus. Why would you go invest there, if you have such contempt for the neighborhoods and people? I don't see how you could take your obligations as landlord seriously with an attitude like that. If you are careless and neglectful, guess how your tenants will react. 

    Erin take your time and get to know investors who are turning neighborhoods around. It can be done profitably and without shortcuts. It is not nothing to provide people with decent affordable housing that is safe and healthy for them and their families. It takes skill and judgment, which you gain as you learn more. Start with the BWI Meetup. You can find them online.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Tyrus Shivers Nancy Roth Have you been a landlord in "low income" areas of the city? If so..how can you possibly doubt what im saying? and sorry, about 70 percent of the city is a dump filled with animals...aka low-income areas. The rest is ok to good other than its proximity to the former. And while some try to distinguish one bad area being better than the other, i promise these areas are basically the same. And what have i done to make the situation better?...lets see, ive rehabbed nearly 60 mostly vacant dumps and turned them into decent ( rental) to excellent (flips) places to live, now generating tax revenues, water bill revenues, env fine revenue,..where once they did not, improving the looks of the neighborhoods for neighbors and the city simultaneously. What do you think happens to this money ive provided? its wasted would be the correct answer....you both are implying i don't care about tenants or my properties, both being false...how you made that leap is a mystery, i work incredibly hard and moat tenants know me on a first name basis. i fix things completely and competently and often will work out payment plans to avoid evictions. i was simply discussing the city itself....fyi, has your house been robbed of its copper/appliances lately? Prove your theories about better bad areas and put an ac condenser out in back of a house. Watch what happens...the guy you "taught how to fish" will be fishing the condenser off your property. as far as why i invest in a place i don't like, and i dont, the answer is money. I have a glut of houses i get 900-/+ a month for that cost me under 30k.....if anyone doubts what im saying, go hangout at either 417 e fayette/501 e fayette....which the city permit, building inspection, etc office and district court where you can find Baltimore's finest clogging rent court every day in incredible numbers. You will also get to witness bleeding heart judges going out there way to allow continued residence for tenants despite not paying.....but don't take my word for it, go check it out....when youre done there, go down to pratt st off mlk, go hangout in the section 8 office during walk in hours, witness the ridiculousness that ensues down there.....dont shoot the messenger
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 63 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed - That's a bit of a stretch, but often times negative attitudes only focus on the negative.  The messenger is shot.

    Oh BTW, I live in the city and I have friends and family that live in the city and we are tax paying, law abiding citizens of Baltimore City and I wouldn't categorize us at ZOO ANIMALS.   Wow, I can write and spell.  Can you put me in another category please.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Kimberly Harrell Please Leave me alone until you own and manage at least 10 rental properties in low income areas in Baltimore city. Do you even own 1 rental? Doubt it. You'd be far less preachy and significantly more sympathetic to our shared plight if you did. As far me calling you an animal, i don't remember doing that. i believed i said these areas were filled with animals not that every person in these areas was one. Significant difference. Perhaps i didn't, but it is what i meant. If you, or anyone, doubts what I'm saying about the city, simply head downtown to the locations i mentioned. Or just walk up and down these areas on a nice day to the glorious smell of weed wafting the air while kicking the bottles of steel reserve and/or colt 45 out of your way....watch out omar coming!!! Hahaha
  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hi erin, i do what you dream of....a. Baltimore city is a dump filled with animals, similar to a zoo. So if your more interested in being a zoo keeper, continue the pursuit. B. better those same animals that live in the city also run it and are employed by it, in a form of welfare for the unemployable....think in lying or exaggerating? Own five properties and wait a year. C. the area your choosing for section 8 tenants does not matter, (the morgan state, northwood stuff is desired by sec 8 more than most however) some orher "low incomes" are also better, but any other area (edmondson, coppin etc) is a dump. What gets the sec 8 people excited is home itself, as long as the area isnt filled with board ups. D. You think dealing with baltimore city is bad? Dealing with sec 8 is worse. If 10 people work here 8 are completely incompetent, possibly illiterate. Inspectors will just make things up if you don't explain to them how to do their their jobs. the phone system is constantly broken, nobody ever responds to emails/messages unless they have to. E. Still interested? The sec8 voucher holders act as if their "**** don't stink" and are difficult to attract and get due to the competition from other landlords. Get ready to offer them "free ****" aka a microwave/ tv/ month of rent etc. F know anything about construction? Start learning or your going to get hurt by every "contractor" under the sun. G. Lead free is the only the way to go to protect yourself. Lead companies will insist you can just dust wipe and get a cert ( u can)...they get to hit you for money for a new cert every time a tenant changes. Do the extra work, and get a lead free cert (once ever two years or one time only depending ) now you're protected.

    Anyway, be careful what you wish for.....

    Wow....sounds like you need to get rid of those properties and move on to greener pastures lol. Heres some food for thought...

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    I did not imply anything. I say exactly what I mean. I said that you characterized a city which you did in your initial post. Then you backtracked and said that you did not mean every person, but I am not good with you calling anyone  an animal. That is all I am saying. I manage units in the low income sections. The very ones you called dumps. I have dealt with headaches, appliances stolen, copper stolen, but I will not go to a level of berating a city.  

    I do not care if you have 100 units in the city. I understand you spent well to build up, but you still missed the point. Put a poor person in a new house and they never experienced it before and they will still act the same in it. Reach your hand out and guide that same person assisting them along the way and then they will appreciate it. Not everyone of course, but the whole point is people can do better. 

    The purpose of my post was not to count the units you have, but only to get you to understand that money does not matter and a new house does not matter. Honesty and care matters. Will someone steal your unit at some point, possibly, but seek to help. You should be writing about hope and pushing the city up instead of despair and tearing it down. 

    I welcome you to join me anywhere in the city on the walks I do passing out bread and food and you will see what I mean. While I may not be able to buy up an entire block at this point, I am on the ground serving the city.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Tyrus Shivers Chris K. I hope your idealism doent end up getting you hurt/robbed/killed. And dont think it cant happen to you mother theresa. This place is crazy No animals in the city? How about the guy who killed the 20yr old lacrose player in front of one of my places a month ago? Not him? The city cop running a heroin ring? Not him?The city detention center staff? No? The two that stabbed and killed the hopkins researcher who thought the city was decent like yourself? Not them? The group that stabbed up the kid in federal hill just walking around. No? Much like the current mayor thinking she will get 10000 to return here in 10 years despite taxes/crime/ and more crime....you are delusional. P.s. Remind me to never consider letting anyone other than my company manage my property if i ever consider it. And chris, i considered that it might be me many times, but it is not...this city actually is pretty terrible in all the ways i mentioned.
  • Randallstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Wow! I didn't expect to come home to so many replies. I also didn't expect to come home to such a debate. I don't really want to get into a discussion about what kind of place Baltimore is or about the type of people who live within the city.  I'm just here to learn the pros and cons of my endeavor.  Therefore, I will read every reply within this thread and take notes.  Thank you @tshivers1 for the area recommendations, its a great start.

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    12y
  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    I simply stated my principles and what I do, and you immediately tear that down and call me out of my name. I do not wake up worried about being rob, killed, etc. I do what I do and that is serve people. I help everyone I can rich or poor. There are bad people everywhere and those cases yes are terrible. Does that classify it a zoo? No. Plain and simple. Then you say you respect your tenants, you cannot even write here without judging people like me. 

    I would be glad to meet you and get more of your experiences and understand why you have such a disdain and negative attitude towards the city. I am always in the city and at many meetings and meetups. Feel free to speak my photo is on here so you can recognize me.

  • Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
    12y

    And for the record, I have been in much worse places than Baltimore City as a whole. The fact is everywhere has its bad people who have no regard for life or care for others. 

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    If I had to guess Id say Seth is  having a bad day.  Here is something he wrote just 2 weeks ago

    "Baltimore is a great city for buy and hold landlords I own many rentals, manage them myself, continue to acquire, and I'm speaking of the lower income urban areas. I find lower income properties present many pluses. 1. cheap acquisition 2. low amenities 3. multitude of willing and easy to replace tenants. If one can be at ease with the negatives, specifically 1. rent court/evictions 2. maintenance 3 chasing rent money...(you'll usually get it but rarely on time) land lording can be quite profitable. the city is definitely block by block and have to know each area intimately as well as construction to succeed doing this, a lesson learned the hard way."

    Id agree with the above assessment of Baltimore.  However, although I do like to be involved with my properties I have managers as a buffer to handle day to day issues and headaches.  For me if you want to grow you have to be an investor and not an hands on landlord.   Doesn't to take long to burn out.   Especially if your properties are management intensive. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.