New Investor In Miami, FL / Broward County

New Investor In Miami, FL / Broward County

Flipper/Rehabber · Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 12 votes

Hello, 

Just to give a brief summary of myself my name is James A. Townsley III,  I am a 22 year old college student majoring in Criminology ( I know... my major has nothing to do with real estate).  But my interest in real estate came about after reading books such as "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "The Four Hour Work Week". Those pieces of literature opened my eyes and showed me that there is a better way of living that doesn't involve working 40 hours a week building someone else dream for them, so i decided to dig deeper into learning about  real estate and watched tons of you-tube tutorials when I came across wholesaling. As of now wholesaling seems to be the perfect route for me be that I am a beginner with little cash-flow and no credit. I'm looking forward to meeting great people on this website.

Wish me luck!!!!!!!

4Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Davie FL · Member since 2009 · 147 posts · 35 votes
11y

Hey James, 

I'm a wholesaler her in Broward County FL

Rest assured that you have come to the right place to learn. 

There's a wealth of information and blogs to devour. 

I got my start learning here. 

Best of luck to you 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @James Townsley 

    welcome to the site.

  • Specialist · Davie FL · Member since 2009 · 147 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    Hey James, 

    I'm a wholesaler her in Broward County FL

    Rest assured that you have come to the right place to learn. 

    There's a wealth of information and blogs to devour. 

    I got my start learning here. 

    Best of luck to you 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @James Townsley

    Welcome to the community. Now get active. Read blogs, ask questions, and I highly suggest a podcast marathon. The deals are out there! Good luck

     And FYI... I graduated with a degree in Management of Information Systems... nothing to do with real estate but you can get all of the education you need here. Trust me.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber Thanks for the reassurance I'm excited to be here.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Dania, FL · Member since 2013 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    @James Townsley 

    Welcome to BP! Tons of valuable info on here to get you started and give you plenty of insight about wholesaling. You should attend the local REIA's down here and start getting your feet wet!

    Good Luck

  • Miramar, FL · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Hey @James Townsley  Welcome. I myself am very new to BP and investing so nothing to give you just now there. But I can still say Hi and wish you nothing but the best. This is an awesome site and so far it has been a pleasure. There is some much to learn and it is the first time that I've been on a resource like this where the help is so freely given!

    My focus will be on wholesaling as well so maybe our paths will cross once we get going.

    Here is a podcast that I was recommended to listen to with someone who is wholesaling. It was a good inspirational listen.

    The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing is also a great resource and recommended reading if you haven't already.

    Good luck in all your endeavors!

    -Marvin

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @James Townsley 

    Welcome. 30+ years in Law Enforcement here. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 90 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    Couple good reads 

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Paul Timmins Wow thanks for the information I will be sure to catch up on the +90 podcast that I have missed. I can see that I am really going to like this website.

  • Realtor · Albany, OR · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    @James Townsley 

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I too am new here, but everyone has made me feel like an ol' friend. Very kind and helpful and I have truly learned a lot in a short amount of time. Podcast listening has been a great learning tool as well.

    Good Luck!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @James Townsley  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you:

    Wishing you the best! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.