Chicago "medium-size" investor -- Cannot believe that I am just finding BP!!

Chicago "medium-size" investor -- Cannot believe that I am just finding BP!!

Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 171 votes

Hi Folks,

Found the podcast through Stitcher and have back tracked about 20 archived episodes over the last couple of weeks.  I should have been here a long time ago because I feel like I am on an island at times.  

About me:

My experience in real estate includes about 50 closing transactions for which I was a principle in a purchase or sale (mostly SFSs, also mutis and vacant lots). Currently, I hold 15 SFHs rehab and rentals in Chicago that are remote from my San Jose, CA home. Also, I manage 15 rehab and rentals for clients. I hold a broker license in IL and an attorney license in CA.

Initially in 2005, during the boom, I purchased a principle residence in San Jose, CA which jumped 100k, so I took out equity for investing. After a few deals in CA, I recognized the limitations of carrying 500k mortgages and started buying in my hometown Chicago for 100k, and a few other states, long distance. In 2008, during the bust, I started to foreclose and short sale my inventory of 10 SFHs. In 2010, I started phase 2 of buying 15 SFHs in Chicago which I now manage remotely along with 15 purchase and rehabs for clients.    

3Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y

@Dooreuhn Cee -  Welcome!  Like you I found BP when I had some experience under my belt and my business has quadrupled since finding it almost a year ago - so you are in a great position.  

If you don't have plans this weekend @J. Martin is hosting a RE Summit in San Francisco with many amazing speakers.  You should check it out

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/132...

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    11y

    @Dooreuhn Cee 

    Welcome.   Its a good site both from a resource perspective and networking.

     Im a broker and investor. I focus on the NW side of the city. 

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Dooreuhn Cee -  Welcome!  Like you I found BP when I had some experience under my belt and my business has quadrupled since finding it almost a year ago - so you are in a great position.  

    If you don't have plans this weekend @J. Martin is hosting a RE Summit in San Francisco with many amazing speakers.  You should check it out

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/132...

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    @brie  Thank you for the info... listening to your podcast apperance now

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome @Dooreuhn Cee !

    You definitely came to the right site, and the right group of local investors! That are lot of awesome RE investors in the Bay. I invest and do meetups up in the East Bay, but @Johnson H. has a great meetup in San Jose (just missed it!) Lots of great people to connect with. Thanks for the shoutout @Brie Schmidt ! Brie, along with another dozen podcast interviewees will be out in SF this week too! And Brandon, one of the hosts!

    I've still been able to find some good cash flow deals here, but a lot of investors are doing good out of state too. Hopefully you and Brie can connect on Chicago while she's here. And good luck on phase 3 of investments! Sorry to hear about the downturn, but way to get back up!

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    thanks @J. Martin good tip on handmanmatters, just made contact with them for when my handyman is misbehaving

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Dooreuhn Cee Glad I could help!  Let me know if I can help in any other way

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 110 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Dooreuhn Cee 

    If you're ever visiting Chicago to check on your properties, you should check out the BP meetup that @Brie Schmidt and @George Foster run. Lot's of great local investors, realtors, wholesalers, contractors etc. to network with. 

    I'm a wholesaler focusing mainly on the southwest side / some southeast side.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Dooreuhn Cee  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Dooreuhn Cee thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! Looks like you have some good experience with real estate! Don't be afraid to jump in and help answer questions or ask some of your own.

    Have you setup your "Keyword Alerts" yet? If not - definitely add some. I'd recommend adding "City" so you'll be notified when people talk about your local area.

    Welcome Dooreuhn!

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    @Brandon Turner thanks, and "Chicago" is my first keyword search.  Will add other. Great work here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.