Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
Hi everyone! My name is Tim Shin, I've been working on wholesale deals for 3 months now and may be close to a couple of deals but I have lots of questions and inexperience. I got some Rich Dad Elite training in Wholesale so I know enough to be dangerous.
I've just returned to Houston from Austin for work in the oil industry. I want to raise some cash to get in to some rehabs and cash flow properties so that ultimately I will be cash flow positive with my life expenses. I want to eventually invest in apartment complexes and be able to quit my job and travel the world with my wife and take care of my family and our retirement.
I attend the Cashflow game in Houston put on by RICH and met Scott and Libertad who suggested I join Bigger Pockets!
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 9 votes
11y
Welcome Tim, I'm Tim.
If you have any q's I'd be happy to meet up in Houston, my wife and I recently opened a Remax and have been fortunate to flip quite a few properties over the past 2 years.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
11y
Thanks for the warm welcome Jeremy and Tim! I'm looking forward to getting to know people in this community. Being surrounded by more like minded individuals certainly makes everything easier and more real.
Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Welcome to Biggerpockets!
You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone is different. We do buy and hold rentals! I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. As many of us have created resources around our niche (websites, blogs, etc) so checking out the signature is a great to get more information. Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.
Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 29 votes
11y
@Tim Shin Welcome to the BP community! This site offers a tremendous amount of information for you to seek out. Read the blogs, post your questions, and the listen to the podcasts.
Welcome. Some of this may be review. You might consider servicing the housing needs of oil and gas field workers through "Man Camps". Fill in the foundation below.
Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 90 past ones to catch up on.
Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.
You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.
Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
11y
Thanks @Bradley Marine , @Paul Timmins for the tips and support. Brad, I think I may already be on your mailing list! Great to see you're on BP.
Paul, I think that's a great idea. It will be interesting to see what happens with the downturn in oil price though as oil services pull back due to decreased spending. I'm hoping it won't affect the housing market.
Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y
Welcome to BP community @Tim Shin It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
11y
Thanks @Dmitriy Fomichenko I really appreciate it. This is a lot of information. I'll get on this right away! Sorry, I've been out of pocket trying to get a few leads under contract.
Welcome to BP! I am a newbie as well and this site has tons of great info to take advantage of. I am yet to get into actual deals yet but this community is very helpful for whatever level investor. Make sure to sift through all the free info available to find answers to your questions.