Wanting to start: from Lebanon, New Hampshire

Wanting to start: from Lebanon, New Hampshire

Hartland, VT · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone.

My name is Adam.  My wife & I just moved to the Upper Valley (Vermont/New Hampshire/Dartmouth area).  

A brief bio:

I come from a family where education is important, and for the past few years have been trying to complete a doctorate in Education Leadership.  While I do believe advanced degrees have value, particularly for moving up in organizations, I realize that they do little to  build wealth and independence.  In fact, one of the reasons I have yet to push through and finish my dissertation is this realization that after all that investment in myself, I will be no closer to the life I want to live and many of you are enjoying.

Sob story aside & tiny violin back in its case, I do plan on finishing my education, if for no other reason than to finish what I start, even if it never comes into play in a future career.  But, I am ready to give myself permission to think & work outside the box (outside of what educational pedigree says I should be doing),  which is precisely why I am here.  I am joining this community to learn from all of you and start building assets that will work for me for the rest of my life.  

I suppose I have said enough for a first post.  
Thank you all for allowing me to join your community,

Adam

2Reply
20 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP, @Adam Lowrance !  My fiance and I recently moved to the Upper Valley as well.  You'll certainly learn a lot from the free beginner guides, endless resources, and other professionals in the forums.  Don't forget to listen to the podcast!  

    Best of luck!

  • Peter MacKercherBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 567 votes
    11y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Adam Lowrance. I am in STL please let me know if you need anything. 


    In the meantime here are 7 tips to help you grow your business using BP:

    1. New to BP? http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    2. Develop your own business strategy. -- Don’t just be a “jack-of-all-trades"

    3. Grow your business by developing your business plan. - Remember there is a difference between goals and a plan. http://www.biggerpockets.com/files

    4. Locate and attend several different local REIAs as they’re great opportunities to network and meet wholesalers, lenders, and contractors.

    5. Stay away from the “guru” sales-pitch events - they rarely increase your investment knowledge, they merely empty your wallet!

    6. Spend some time every day on Bigger Pockets by connecting with “colleagues,” perusing blogs and videos, and engaging with others on the forums: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    7. Set yourself up to receive free alerts to be notified of subjects that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    11y

    Hi Adam, welcome to BP.

    This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.

    This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA, NH and VT on here so make sure to find them (Set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.

    Try to get out to some investor events.  I do not know of any up there.  The NHREIA in Manchester is the biggest in the area and the closest that I know of.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    welcome to the site.

  • Hartland, VT · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions to get started!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.