Hello from Newbie living in Spain, back to NC this summer!

9 Replies

Hello All!  I'm so happy to be a part of Bigger Pockets!

I have been living in Utrera, Spain (outside Seville) for over 10 years now.  My husband is a piano professor and I'm an English teacher to Spanish kids and adults.  My husband and I met when I studied abroad during college. ;)  Our 3 kids have been born here. 

After reading Rich Dad I started looking online about real estate investing.  I stumbled upon a Canadian website, and later on Brandon Turner's other website for younger investors, and then to Bigger Pockets a couple weeks ago.  What a great website this is!  

We own our house here in Spain, but it is under water - housing crisis victim.  Hopefully we can rent it when we leave to go towards the mortgage, and someday sell it....

I own a house free and clear in Pleasant Garden (Greensboro) North Carolina.  I have a renter now so we're getting our feet a little wet, but we will be moving back into that house this summer (hopefully if our teaching jobs there work out.)

I love learning, and I've started my real estate education that will hopefully become our primary source of income someday.  I've been reading BP blogs, listening to podcasts and webinars, reading the Ultimate Beginners Guide, reading the articles that are tweeted daily, etc.   

When we are back in NC we want to meet some folks and start networking to see if we can start wholesaling, and buy and hold, or flip, and our ultimate goal is to build new construction  of well-built modern-style, very energy-efficient houses with some types of renewable energy.  (We're big dreamers!)  

Thank you all for reading, and I look forward to virtually meeting you and to continue learning and starting to network!  Muchas gracias!

Un saludo, 

Amanda Cook

@Amanda Cook  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation and legacy below. Consider locating sources of private money while over there.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need. You can begin networking via phone.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your message - you're the first person to reply!  Thanks for all your ideas and good book, and the link for the newest BP book.  I look forward to reading them, and working towards getting the ball rolling in this field. 

Take care.

Amanda

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

Hi @Amanda Cook  

Great note and well done on starting your real estate journey. I too am an expat who has lived in Spain for 10 years and my kids were born here. I have no plans to move although that hasn´t stopped me from flipping several properties in and around Charlotte over the past few years (hint: I have great local partners). 

If you´re ever in Madrid, let´s hook up for a coffee. 

Hi @Colin Murphy !  What a coincedence!  Wow, it is great you're able to work deals in Charlotte even though you're here in Spain.  We might be up in Madrid around Semana Santa.  If so, I'll let you know. 

Thanks for your message!  Take care.

Amanda

@Amanda Cook @Colin Murphy - I know this post is little older, but I am also a NC native living in Spain and a brand new BP member.  We own a few rental houses in the Charlotte area and we are trying to do our first long-distance deal right now.  I would love to meet either of you if we get the opportunity.  We live in Málaga, but we visit Madrid several times a year.  We will actually be flying back to NC out of Madrid in July and returning through Madrid in August.

@Mick Donahue   Hi there!  Welcome to BP!  It sure is a small world.  Have you been in Malaga for a while?  We've been living outside Seville for almost 13 years I guess.  We are getting things ready for our move this summer back to NC.  I had hoped to get to Madrid during Semana Santa and perhaps meet up with Colin, but after all we didn't get up there.  If you are around Seville sometime, please let me know.  If there's anything I can help you with when we get to NC, please let me know too.  I'll be in the Greensboro area.  

started in 08,stopped in 09 when market crashed,started again about 2 yrs ago 
been reading on BP learning and applying 
let me know when you come to the states i am only 2 hrs from greensboro 
good luck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you