New Member potential rental from old primary [Charleston, SC]

New Member potential rental from old primary [Charleston, SC]

Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hi all.  

I'm really excited to find this community as it sounds like you all have the research and community knowledge to solve all the headaches that can come with being a landlord.  That is where I am mostly hung up. ;)

I'm a husband and father of 3 and looking to move out of our $370k (Potential Price) 3 BDR 2300 sqft SFR in very desirable neighborhood. Because the rental market is so good in our area I am considering renting it. Rent should yield $2300 a month.

At 100% financing my monthly mortgage would be ~ $1750 so I'm at 75% (no where close to the 50% rule). However if I do sell I'm losing realtor fees and whatever other fees there are associated with the sale.

I also think this house will be a good bit of work going forward and I would rather avoid the headache.  It just stinks to pay all those realtor fees. ;)


My plan as of now is to sell and keep the equity for a better cheaper deal another day.

I'm really looking forward to getting involved in this new adventure (someday) and learning from this great community.

Cheers,

Alistair

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y

Welcome to BP community @Alistair Nicol  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Alistair Nicol  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    You said your mortgage would be $1750. Is your mortgage currently $1750? Why will it change if you choose to rent out your house?

  • Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Currently I have a 15 year mortgage with 250k remaining James.  I paid 340k for the property.  I will need some capital to purchase the new property.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 547 posts · 235 votes
    11y

    @Alistair Nicol 

    Mt Pleasant is SUPER-HOT sellers market.  Use www.postlets.com to post your house FSBO. Plan to pay the buyer's agent 3% for bringing you a buyer, but this avoids the 3% on the listing side. You can also find a flat fee listing service that will put it on the MLS for a flat fee of $500. We use Gene Keyser of Charleston Saltwater Realty for our flat-fee listings on our investment properties. We live in Mt P and will be selling our personal residence in the near future, so I am very familiar with the market. If you send me a private message with your address, I will run comps for you to evaluate the price at which you should list.

  • Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Russ Scheider 


    Thanks for all that info. I'm definitely interested in FSBO and reducing fees. At these price points that's 20k+. Yikes!

    I'll send you a PM to discuss the comps.

  • Professional · Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Alistair,

    I lived in Mt Pleasant and did a FSBO in the neighborhood Fiddlers Marsh and it worked out very well! I actually had a cash offer and I only had to pay their agent 3% which was around $10,000. It is not that much more work to do FSBO you just have to keep your personal feelings with the house out of it and know it's a business transaction and that's it. If I can help feel free to PM me.

  • Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Saving 10k would be very nice @James Wise great work.  I would definitely go that route but I have contacted an agent who has looked at my property and given me some advice.  She is my buyers agent though so I could probably work that out.  I don't want to burn her either, she has been great on the buying side.  I guess first things first I need to refi and get this house fixed up a little for showing.

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Alistair Nicol

    Welcome to the community! BP has a tremendous amount of information to help you, but it is only available if you seek it out. Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. Read blogs, post questions, and the podcasts are gold! The best free education you can get.

  • Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Cheers @Jon Huber thanks for the tips and the warm welcoming.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.