21 Yr Old Newbie - Pittsburgh and State College PA

21 Yr Old Newbie - Pittsburgh and State College PA

Monroeville, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 4 votes

My name is Tyler. I am currently a junior Finance major at Penn State. I am from the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I have always had an interest in real estate. My dad has owned rentals and flipped units for as long as I can remember. I have helped him do things such as unit maintenance, collect rents, and review leases.

I would ideally like to get involved in real estate through wholesaling because I do not have much cash on hand to buy properties/take out loans at the moment. Once I establish myself and begin to generate cash, I would like to look more into investing in rental units and flipping properties.

I would prefer to be involved in the real estate business in the Pittsburgh and State College areas.

Any tips on getting started are much appreciated!

2Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
11y

@Tyler Beley Hi and welcome to BP! Be sure to use keyword alerts to alert you to the discussions and people you want to be in touch with. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Tyler Beley Hi and welcome to BP! Be sure to use keyword alerts to alert you to the discussions and people you want to be in touch with. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Sounds like a good strategic approach! You have a solid foundation as well. Learn all you can and get a mentor as well who is doing what you want to do in a much bigger way. Think Big! Always.  Best of luck - Jason Cohen Pittsburgh

  • Monroeville, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jason Cohen:

    Sounds like a good strategic approach! You have a solid foundation as well. Learn all you can and get a mentor as well who is doing what you want to do in a much bigger way. Think Big! Always.  Best of luck - Jason Cohen Pittsburgh

     I appreciate it.  I'm looking forward to getting started.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Tyler Beley 

    welcome to the site.

    Go Browns.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Listen to the podcasts on here and get a thorough understanding of how to wholesale. It sounds like you have a leg up with your dad's experience. A big part of wholesale is all about how hard you want to work to find the deals. There are people who supposedly have found deals on CL. You could look into DM (my personal favorite) or bandit signs if they are legal in your area. 

  • Monroeville, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey:

    Listen to the podcasts on here and get a thorough understanding of how to wholesale. It sounds like you have a leg up with your dad's experience. A big part of wholesale is all about how hard you want to work to find the deals. There are people who supposedly have found deals on CL. You could look into DM (my personal favorite) or bandit signs if they are legal in your area. 

     I'll definitely start with the podcasts. I appreciate the tips! 

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Tyler Beley thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! You might like this: How to Start Investing In Real Estate at a Young Age

    Also, If you haven't yet- be sure to setup some "Keyword Alerts" to get into conversation in your target area.

    Seeya around!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Tyler Beley

    Welcome. A buddy rents out his parents in law on Airbnb gets $200 a night 90% occupied using the $ to pay off his college. Take a good look at student housing see below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.