New investor from Detroit Michigan

New investor from Detroit Michigan

Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes

What's up guys,

My name is Gregory Dickerson Jr. I'm a new investor in the Metro Detroit area. I currently make my living as a graphic designer and I'm looking to real estate as a method to better myself financially—but most importantly I want to create more time to spend with family and friends.

I want to start out with wholesaling to build some cash, just not sure what area I want to focus on i.e. HUD, tax deeds, vacant homes etc. My first goal is to build my business to the point where I can wholesale 1 property per month.

I'd also love to meet and network with other investors from all over the country, but especially in the Michigan area. Networking is one important skill that I need to improve and joining this site is a start for me. There's a lot to learn and and it seems like this is a great place to gain an education.

3Reply
14 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Gregory Dickerson Jr  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Thanks for all the info Dmitriy. I appreciate the resources!

  • Livonia, MI · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Welcome Greg!  I am from Livonia and recently joined the site as well.  There is a lot of information here and it is refreshing how open and honest everyone is.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll get a lot of answers from people who really know their stuff. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brian Jurvelin:

    Welcome Greg!  I am from Livonia and recently joined the site as well.  There is a lot of information here and it is refreshing how open and honest everyone is.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll get a lot of answers from people who really know their stuff. Good luck!

     Thanks for the welcome. It seems like this is an environment where people love to share what they've learned. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Gregory Dickerson Jr Glad to have you here! Let us know how we can help, and jump into the community here. You'll love it :)

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Gregory Dickerson Jr . I love that spending time with your family is your goal out of REI. Good luck on your journey!

  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Hi @Gregory Dickerson Jr  and welcome to BP! I am sure your time on BP will be a wonderful experience.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Brandon Turner  and @Antonio Coleman , I appreciate the warm welcome.

    @Chaz Reid, man I love that Muhammad Ali quote!

    It's nice to meet all of you.

  • Jeff LubeskiPro Member
    Investor · Hartland, MI · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Gregory Dickerson Jr Welcome to the site and real estate investing.  I live to the west of you a bit in Hartland.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Lubeski  Thank you. It's a pleasure to meet you!

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    11y

    Hi @Gregory Dickerson Jr . Welcome to BP.

    I haven't been around much lately. But I am involved in a very active network. I co-host a local meetup with @Tom A. . He is the wholesaler in our network who seems to do very well at it and has for years now.

    With that said. Again, Welcome to BP and I hope to meet you at this months event.

    - Aaron Yates

  • Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Aaron Yates  Thank you. I appreciate your input. Rest assured I entertain no thoughts that this will be easy. I'm not looking for a "get rich quick" scheme. I've owned a business before and understand that if this was easy, then everyone would be doing it.

    I'll keep my eye open for the confirmation about the meetup! Thanks for sharing that info. I look forward to meeting you.

  • Investor · West Bloomfield, MI · Member since 2009 · 358 posts · 306 votes
    11y

    Hey @Gregory Dickerson Jr , welcome! The meetup is confirmed. Granite City in Troy starting around 6:30 on 3/12. All are welcome.

    More info at 

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/86/topics/1801...

    and

    https://www.facebook.com/events/1409127799391630/

    Hope to see you around!

  • Real Estate Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Tom A.  Thanks for the info!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.