Newbie from Lansing / Portland, Michigan

Newbie from Lansing / Portland, Michigan

Portland, MI · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brice Furr. I am 32 years old, an engineering student at Michigan State University, and an Army Veteran. Unlike most college students I have already started my life with a family and a home. I have been looking into real estate investing as a means to build wealth while I work as an engineer after graduation. I am solidly skilled in do it yourself home renovation and would like to translate these skills into a buy and hold strategy with single and multi-family units in the Lansing and Portland area. My first move in this direction will likely be renting out my current home after my family upgrades post graduation. I would love to hear from anyone who has tips on turning a starter home into a first rental property. 

Looking forward to getting involved in the Lansing investment community

Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
11y

@Brice Furr

Welcome to the site. I am in GR but venture as far as Portland from time to time. If you have any questions on anything feel free to reach out.

My biggest words of advice for converting your primary to a rental are to not get to emotionally attached. You have to understand that your tenants one day (most likely) will not treat the house like you did. You may have a higher end home with higher end tenants but you have to still take the emotion out of it when you do an inspection and notice things you wouldn't normally approve of (trash, landscaping not perfect, dirty carpets etc.)

I have been through this as I turned my primary into a college rental years ago. It's not a slum but they are also not as meticulous as I once was.

Otherwise good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ridgewood, NJ · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Welcome!

  • Investor · Hastings, MI · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    11y

    @Brice Furr

    Welcome to the site. I am in GR but venture as far as Portland from time to time. If you have any questions on anything feel free to reach out.

    My biggest words of advice for converting your primary to a rental are to not get to emotionally attached. You have to understand that your tenants one day (most likely) will not treat the house like you did. You may have a higher end home with higher end tenants but you have to still take the emotion out of it when you do an inspection and notice things you wouldn't normally approve of (trash, landscaping not perfect, dirty carpets etc.)

    I have been through this as I turned my primary into a college rental years ago. It's not a slum but they are also not as meticulous as I once was.

    Otherwise good luck.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Hi @Brice Furr

    Wekocme to biggerpockets! Wishing you all the success on your real estate venture!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Brice Furr

    Welcome to the BP community. You will find alot of good information here. Make sure to view the BP blogs under "Learn."

  • Portland, MI · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks, @Jake Thomas

    That makes sense. I'll take you up on that offer when I find my self in need of some further advice. 

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Brice Furr

    Welcome. Thanks for your service. You might consider student housing see below.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Mason, MI · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Welcome. I'm in a very similar situation in that I am well skilled in most construction related areas and would love to dive in the property biz. I'm a 37 year old teacher and have Summer's off which is great for a second career. I've built 5 homes acting as the general contractor and completing much of the work myself. Right now I'm figuring out how to get start up capital to purchase my first property. Best of luck. I'd love to chat.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.