Obsessed with Real Estate Investing (in New Jersey)

Obsessed with Real Estate Investing (in New Jersey)

Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 18 votes

BP has taught be so much the last few months I felt I needed to write a quick post. I live in Red Bank NJ and invest all over NJ - Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Morris, Somerset, Passaic, Sussex, Union & Warren County. I see no reason to limit myself b/c I can drive to each area in less than one hour.

I've always owned condo's from my youth that I held onto more as a forced savings mechanism than an actual investment. That all changed a few months ago when I started to realize the leverage that can be created with the right RE investments. Its really amazing how quickly the numbers can add up. And it so makes so much more sense than stocks.

In the last month, I'm under contract for an amazing condo I got at auction (for $77k) and a 3 family house ($244k) that my agent found for me where the rents were not adequately represented. These two deals should yield 10% and 11% respectively (cap rate) from the get-go! I can certainly improve on those cap rates as time goes on with relatively simple improvements.

I'm thankful to the Podcasters (Josh and Brandon) on getting me hooked and bringing me back to REI. Well, and my agent whose been amazing at searching through the rubble to find deals that make sense.

Best advice is 3 fold:  

1) BP Podcast is a must   

2) Read or reread Rich Dad Poor Dad   

3) Find an agent who works mostly with investors

I still have so much more to learn but my passion makes it kinda easy (routinely reading about REI 2 hours a day).

Cheers!

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Litchfield Park, AZ · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 15 votes
11y

Welcome from AZ.  You're right about the podcasts, I found out just how quickly one can generate a data usage alert on a 10gb wireless plan.

If you have heard podcast 22 with Tucker Merrihew (or at least I think it was show 22) keep up the momentum.!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Mark Gee Find and network with local investors using find feature! http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Also, be sure to set up “keyword alerts” to notify the topics that interest you. 

    All the best to you!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Mark Gee welcome! It’s great to have you on board. Thanks for the nice words about the Podcasts! 

    Oh - and be sure to set up some keyword alerts - especially for "Little Silver" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Atlantic County, NJ · Member since 2012 · 514 posts · 209 votes
    11y

    Awesome @Mark Gee ! That kind of mentality will only benefit you on your new journey!

    That book got me too... and a few others ;)

  • Matthew WeiserPro Member
    Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2013 · 175 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Hi @Mark Gee welcome to BiggerPockets!

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Hey @Dmitriy Fomichenko Thanks very much. Its really a great forum and there's so much great information here.

    @Brandon Turner- Somehow I feel like I already know you -- Oh, it must be the 125 podcasts I've listened to. Thanks for saying hello.  Man, I love these small multi-families! 

    Thanks @Nathan Paisley RDPD is the best book so far but I'm starting Confessions of a Real Estate Entrepreneur: What It Takes to Win in High-Stakes Commercial Real Estate this weekend. Good luck to you as well!

    @Matthew Weiser Cheers Matt, thanks. Its a great place to learn.

  • Investor · Litchfield Park, AZ · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    Welcome from AZ.  You're right about the podcasts, I found out just how quickly one can generate a data usage alert on a 10gb wireless plan.

    If you have heard podcast 22 with Tucker Merrihew (or at least I think it was show 22) keep up the momentum.!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    You're welcome, Mark!

    See you around the forums!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.