New in Yorktown Heights, NY (Westchester county)

New in Yorktown Heights, NY (Westchester county)

Yorktown Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 9 votes

Greetings everyone, I'm new to the site and to real estate investing. I'm 39 and live in Yorktown Heights, NY where I own a house with an accessory cottage which I rent out. I guess you can say I'm house hacking. My "day job" is running tech (mostly software dev) for an internet startup, but I'm realizing that I'm not a city guy and all of the demand for my tech leadership skills force me to be in New York City. I'm lucky to have made some good money at my last startup, so I'm hoping to parlay that into a real estate business and avoid the city lifestyle.

When I'm not working, I enjoy riding my horse, flying planes and working on my house. My profile pic is me riding in the Bedford Riding Lanes hunter pace last month. I love doing DIY projects, especially home automation. This past weekend I installed additional wifi and instrumented my pool to monitor and log the temperature over the internet.

I've got two questions for everyone

1. I live in a high-cost area where multi-family homes needing reno list on the MLS for 200k+ even in marginal neighborhoods. Single-family homes are even more pricey. Should I start looking further from home, explore foreclosure/short-sales, or just try find some cash flow locally even if it's well below the 2% rule?

2. If I want to put properties into LLCs for asset protection, any tips on how to get financing? I want to avoid having my assets at risk. 

Thanks everyone!

1Reply
15 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    11y

    Hey @John Merryman welcome to BiggerPockets! cool hobby. You may want to check out the calculators to help you analyze deals.

    BiggerPockets
  • Yorktown Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Thank you, I will definitely be running more numbers through the calculator - I've been looking at a few areas and trying to zero in on a niche that could work for me. Definitely envious of those of you who live in areas where you can buy cash flowing properties for under 100k!

  • Purchase, NY · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    Hey John, welcome to the site.  It's good to see other investors in Westchester.  

    If you can make it, I'd suggest going to the meetup tomorrow: BP Meetup in Manhattan

    I wouldn't put too much stock in the 2% rule in our area.  I would either try to get an acceptable cash-on-cash return on your downpayment from cash flow, or try to find a property where you barely cash flow but stand a very good chance of appreciation.  Sadly, the biggest hurdle to finding a good property is the taxes.

  • Yorktown Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I'm definitely planning to go to the meetup, lucky timing for me! My office is 5 minutes away, bonus!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @John Merryman welcome, glad to have you on board! If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and The BiggerPockets Podcast. They are both great at learning the fundamentals.

    Oh - and if you haven't yet- be sure to setup some "Keyword Alerts."

    Glad to have you here

  • Yorktown Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Thanks Brandon!

    I've already downloaded and started the book, and have listened to about 10 podcast episodes so far, and was on the webinar last week! Such a great wealth of resources here - thank you!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.