Newbie Looking for advice from experienced/ethical investors

Newbie Looking for advice from experienced/ethical investors

Semi Retired · Northfield Center, OH · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello all,

I am new to the real estate investment club and looking for guidance from experienced pros. I've heard every comment in the book so far: 

Single family flips or rentals?

Multi units - landlord?

Multi unit  - owner only?

Investor only?

I have capital to purchase a property, but qualifying type, location and starting point are where I may need someone to "hold my hand" through the process. For those of you who have "heard it, seen it, and done that", what can your past experience tell me?

1Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @James Lawrence

    Welcome. I grew up in a 2 family so my first was a 2 family a long time ago. Did everything wrong but it appreciated 100K when I sold due to market conditions. I did everything wrong. Later I learned the right way to do things so much easier.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can Google to locate them and go to meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Semi Retired · Northfield Center, OH · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Great advise Paul. I already have plan to attend 2 REIA events over the next couple of weeks. I'll definitely look into the reading material. I have also reached out to a couple of relators for some mentoring help. Since my initial post I ran across two 10 year old condos in pre-foreclosure. They are very close to me and would be easy to manage given their age and location. Frankly I am torn between single families or large enough multi-units that I can have a property management company take care of. Thoughts?

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @James Lawrence

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.