Newbie from New Orleans, Louisiana

Newbie from New Orleans, Louisiana

Student · Metairie, LA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hey Guys, my name is Ian. I am 20 years old, and currently living and going to school in New Orleans. I'm very eager to get started in real estate, but my biggest obstacle is not knowing how or where to start. I ready to learn and soak up as much information as possible.

1Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
11y

@Ian Morris have you thought about finding a mentor? Scott Trench wrote a great article about how to find a mentor. Working with someone to learn the ropes is an excellent way to start. Search the site for your local meetup, or for local investors and ask if they need any help. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Ian Morris

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Ian Morris. You are in the right place to start learning and soaking up information.

    Have you set up your keyword alerts yet? Reserve at least one for your local area, to keep up with conversations and connect with investors in your area.

    What sort of investing are you looking to do? 

    A great start is the BiggerPockets Podcast and Blog. You've already found our forums, wander around those as well, and read anything that sounds interesting. 

  • Student · Metairie, LA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hello @Mindy Jensen ! Yes I have set up those key words, and have started getting notifications! I love that feature! I'm looking to get involved with no money down deals to build capital, and then begin flipping and selling. Eventually I would like to buy, flip, and hold to have continuous income. It just takes money to make money, and I currently don't have the money to put down. If that makes sense. 

    Please excuse my ignorance of I used terms incorrectly! 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    11y

    @Ian Morris have you thought about finding a mentor? Scott Trench wrote a great article about how to find a mentor. Working with someone to learn the ropes is an excellent way to start. Search the site for your local meetup, or for local investors and ask if they need any help. 

  • Student · Metairie, LA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @Mindy Jensen That is exactly what I am looking for! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that link!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    @Ian Morris

    Welcome to BP community! It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you: 

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!  

  • Student · Metairie, LA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thank you, @Dmitriy Fomichenko! Those links look very helpful, I will look into them! 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Ian,

    Thank you for the mention! Welcome again and I hope you accomplish all of your dreams in real estate, and life.

    Best,

    Dmitriy

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Ian Morris

    Best place to begin would be by reading as much as you can and networking with those that are doing what you want to do. I'd recommend downloading the free BP podcasts and working your way through them. Also checkout Brandon's book on REI with little or no money down. Last, I'd do a search here on "House Hacking" as it's a great way for new people just starting out to get going in REI.

  • Student · Metairie, LA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    That sounds great @Matt Motil ! I will get started on that! Thank you so much! 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks for the vote Ian, it’s great to meet you here on BP.

    Best,

    Dmitriy

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets @Ian Morris! Wish you all the success on your ventures!

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Hey @Ian Morris welcome to BP- happy to see another BP member in New Orleans! Check out No Money Down its a great resource, and it was created by Brandon Turner from bigger pockets. Let me know if there's anything I can help with, or if you just want to grab some coffee and talk real estate.

  • Accountant · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP. 

  • Student · Metairie, LA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Jay L.! I would love to get to chat sometime! 

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP Ian! I'm up in Shreveport and am also a new investor. This is a fantastic source of information, so I recommend:

    - Join a local Real Estate Investment club
    - Listen to ALL of the podcasts
    - Start reading posts and asking all the questions you can think of... the only bad question is one not asked!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Maz,

    Thanks for the vote, it’s great to meet you here on BP !

    Best,

    Dmitriy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.