Newbie from South Florida, Fort Lauderdale

Newbie from South Florida, Fort Lauderdale

Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Welcome BiggerPockets! 

I'm really excited to be a part of this great community. My name is Brian Haywood and like many my interest in real estate was first peaked from Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Fast forward, I've worked in the private sector all my life and various leadership roles. 

So, just doing work and life I reached that point where I found myself looking at my wife, 2yr old and 2 month old sons thinking there has got to be a better way. There's got to be a way to work hard, be rewarded for that work, have more time for family and hopefully pass on a better life to those you love.

Starting out I'm looking to fix and flip, find a mentor and I want to eventually quick my JOB and create a business I can one day pass on to my boys. Is it a reasonable goal to think I can do one before this years out?

Hope this wasn't too long an introduction. I look forward to meeting many new people and learning from experienced investors. Thank you! 

0Reply
9 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hey Brian! Welcome to BP!

    You have come to the right place for free education at your fingertips. I recommend you stay active in the BP community and network with as many investors as possible. I just finished my first flip myself and am currently looking for my next project. As far as your goal to do one before the end of the year. Do you mean do a flip before the end of the year? or start a business and quit your job before the end of the year? I definitely think you can start a fix/flip in the next few months. But I would not recommend leaving your job and going full time until you have established yourself in the field and have a steady flow of deals coming your way. You will need to show the banks that you have a steady income in order to use any type of loan. Once you have a reputable track record and a portfolio of projects you will have a much easier time convincing private lenders to invest with you. To build the business and a rock solid reputation will take time, but it will be worth the time you put into it for the benefit of your family. Best of luck to you.

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome Brian. Please reach out if you have any questions.

  • Licensed Mortgage Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2014 · 98 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Brian Haywood It is never too late to start investing in real estate.  And the beauty is, there are so many sectors of the business to engage in, so don't ever forget that.  You may start out as a fix and flip investor, and then you may realize it's too much running around.  That's what happened to my father when he began investing, and after a year, he became a hard money lender.  If it's not investing, you could be an agent, loan originator, property manager...The possibilities are nearly endless.  Knowing this is what you want to do is the first step.  So congratulations on that.  Good luck!

  • Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Welcome @Brian Haywood. I own a brokerage here in Ft Lauderdale and can relate to you as well...

    Here's my story in a blog that was published here.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/7103/blog_post...

    Let me know if you need anything

     Nick, thanks for the warm welcome. I forward to working with you sometime in the near future.

  • Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gregory Emmer:

    @Brian Haywood It is never too late to start investing in real estate.  And the beauty is, there are so many sectors of the business to engage in, so don't ever forget that.  You may start out as a fix and flip investor, and then you may realize it's too much running around.  That's what happened to my father when he began investing, and after a year, he became a hard money lender.  If it's not investing, you could be an agent, loan originator, property manager...The possibilities are nearly endless.  Knowing this is what you want to do is the first step.  So congratulations on that.  Good luck!

     Gregory, thanks for the insight. 

  • Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adam Bartomeo:

    Welcome Brian. Please reach out if you have any questions.

     Thanks Adam, Will do!

  • Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hey Brian! Welcome to BP!

    You have come to the right place for free education at your fingertips. I recommend you stay active in the BP community and network with as many investors as possible. I just finished my first flip myself and am currently looking for my next project. As far as your goal to do one before the end of the year. Do you mean do a flip before the end of the year? or start a business and quit your job before the end of the year? I definitely think you can start a fix/flip in the next few months. But I would not recommend leaving your job and going full time until you have established yourself in the field and have a steady flow of deals coming your way. You will need to show the banks that you have a steady income in order to use any type of loan. Once you have a reputable track record and a portfolio of projects you will have a much easier time convincing private lenders to invest with you. To build the business and a rock solid reputation will take time, but it will be worth the time you put into it for the benefit of your family. Best of luck to you.

    Ronald, warm welcome is much appreciated.  Thank you for the guidance.  I'd like to find and start a fix/flip before year end. That's my immediate goal.  As much as I can't wait to leave Corporate America, it's just not feasible for me to do investing full time. One day! I look forward to seeing your continued success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.