Entering Real Estate by House Hacking Multifamilies in KC

Entering Real Estate by House Hacking Multifamilies in KC

Kansas City, KS · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the world of real estate, but real estate has intrigued me. I'm coming into real estate after 8 years of research experience in various molecular biology laboratories. Learning complex systems and ideas is my favorite activity. Real estate happens to be amazing in the fact that it fulfills that desire, and my desire to create a solid financial future for myself. As a result, I aim to dive in headfirst while working a 9-5 job to acquire the funds I need to start investing. 

Currently I'm living in Champaign Illinois, but in December I plan to move back to Kansas City to be near my family. Once there, I want to enter into the world of real estate by purchasing a small multifamily property. Preferably a quadplex with an FHA or 203K loan. From there I want to build my portfolio up to 20 cash flowing units, $200 per door per month, so I can have $50k of cashflow each year. I can effectively live on less than $25k each year, so 20 units is when I can leave my job if I so choose, and still have $25k to grow the business. I also plan on hiring property management companies to manage the properties since my time will be mostly occupied by a day job. To make this happen I'm educating myself with books written by bigger pockets, reading the blog, listening to the podcast, and as of today I'm starting to analyze deals.

That is my general business plan, but I'm going to continue refining this plan while I read, learn, and get to know people on bigger pockets. 

Sincerely,

Erik Andersen.

2Reply
14 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    welcome Erick 

  • Whole Saler · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP Erik. I'm a wholesaler here in the Kansas City area. 

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2010 · 239 posts · 110 votes
    10y

    Welcome back to KC, Erik! 

    Kansas City is an awesome market for multi family investing. 

    Happy investing!

    -JJ 

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    Hit me up when you get here. Lets grab a beer.

  • Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hey Erik!

    Its a great time to come back to KC (Go Royals!) :D  Im a newbie from KC. Currently learning all I can! I am also looking for a solid du,tri or quad plex to start with and build up. Would be great to connect with you and any other investors from KC. 

  • Kansas City, KS · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Wow! Thank you guys for the warm welcome! 

    I look forward to getting to know all of you better in the near future and possibly meeting you when I'm back in Kansas City. Until then, I'm going to keep posting updates to my plans as I learn new tips and tricks. 

    I hope you all have a great evening,

    Erik Andersen.

  • John Van UytvenPro Member
    Property Manager · Oconee, IL · Member since 2014 · 536 posts · 202 votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site @Eric

    My friend @Josh McNicoll is a real estate agent in KC

    Good luck with your ventures.

  • Massage Therapist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 613 posts · 84 votes
    10y

    @Erik Andersen

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Relocating to be near family is as wise as becoming an investor.....Well Alright!!!

    At the bottom of this page is a list with help in it. Click on help. You will see answers to questions that you didn't even think of.

    Looking forward to sharing insights with you in the forums.

                                 Enjoy as you prosper.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.