New member from Pennsylvania and Lynchburg

New member from Pennsylvania and Lynchburg

Michael StrobelPro Member
Investor · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 20 votes

Hi!

My name is Mike Strobel and I am a current senior at Liberty University studying Project Management. I am also a Marine Corps veteran (as you can probably tell from my profile picture). I served on active duty from 2007-2012 and will be graduating this spring with my degree from Liberty. Ever since I was in high school I have had an interest in real estate investing but just didn't know where to go to learn. Almost got sucked into a couple "guru" sessions but fortunately didn't fall them. A friend of mine told em about BiggerPockets so I started listening to the podcasts. Now I cant stop listening. I really find them educational, valuable, and encouraging. So I wanted to create an account and learn more about the BiggerPockets website.

I am currently interested in flipping in my current market of Lynchburg, Virginia, even though it is a smaller market, it is quite affordable and Liberty University is growing by leaps and bounds year after year. I want to start investing there to increase cash reserves however I have an end goal of buying and holding multiple properties that are free and clear in order to sustain a comfortable, but not lavish, lifestyle for myself and my family. 

0Reply
5 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Welcome to the forum and to investing. I operate in the Lehigh Valley as a landlord and am acquiring additional properties, to flip and to hold.

    A natural way for you to get started might be to gain control, if not ownership, of some off-campus  student housing. Live there and rent rooms to other students. Would help to at least defry your college living expenses, and help to build your investment cash.

    Also, join your local REIA

  • Real Estate Investor · Charles Town, WV · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hi Michael,

    Welcome! I too am a fan of BP podcasts and they have taught me a great deal about real estate investing.

    Business takes me to Lynchburg frequently and I almost moved there after becoming enchanted with the the town 20 years ago. The reality of a 2 plus hour commute prevented the move though.

    Though you call Lynchburg a smaller market the changes in the twenty years I have known the town are amazing. The movement of business from the older parts of town ( I am familiar with Memorial and Fort Ave) to what was once considered the outskirts ( Liberty was on the outskirts 20 years ago!) has shown me the strength of the local economy. I think there are plenty of opportunities to be had in Lynchburg.

    Good luck with your endeavors! 

    Thank you too for your service. You and your fellow servicemen's efforts make all the freedoms we take for granted here possible.

  • Bethel Park, PA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hi Mike,

    BP podcasts rock!  Sounds like you are developing a great plan.  The business plan is a living entity, as I understand it, always changing or at least being tweaked.  Good luck and thanks for your service.  It is individuals like you that afford us our many freedoms. 

    Sincere appreciation,

    Kirstin

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.