New Member from Hillsborough/Durham area in NC

New Member from Hillsborough/Durham area in NC

Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 4 votes

Hi folks!

I joined Bigger Pockets in the last week and attended Brandon's webinar a couple of nights ago. I didn't plan to buy anything but the rental calculator he showed was so easy I upgraded to Pro immediately. I already had a spreadsheet to run numbers but the presentation from the calculator is excellent and simple.

I am an attorney (patent) and I am new to real estate investing, but have done a few things over the years. Our current house was an REO and with a few rehab projects the first week of the purchase, we are set to make a nice figure when we sell. It's kind of a house-hack I guess, a delayed flip of your personal residence. :)

May main interest is in a buy and hold of multi-family units as small as duplexes or as big as a I can eventually afford. I have a close friend that has been involved in commercial real estate for more than a decade and have heard the ins and outs of his deals as he scribbled them on napkins etc. 

Thus, I have a fair handle on the numbers aspect. I am a numbers/math guy anyway and understand the calculations. What a I lack is market experience. It's one thing to know what kind of return you want and how to run the numbers, but another to understand if your estimate of rent is correct, and what the market will bear to force appreciate a unit. I know how to calculate a Cap Rate, but not if the rate I want is reasonable. :) 

My friend is a deal guy. He only buys if it is an absolute bargain with tons of upside, so I have that imprinted upon me. I'm still analyzing properties and have yet to make my first purchase, but I will get there. In addition analyzing and starting at podcast 01, I have a stack of books to read. Just finishing up Nickerson, love it.

Happy to be here. I've already spent several hours reading the forums. This place is like an MS in Real Estate.

Matthew

1Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Matthew Edwards I just wanted to welcome you to BP! As you've already found out, this is the best site in the world for all things real estate, development, etc. If you haven't done so yet, do a search to see if there are any BP meetups in the Durham North Carolina area. Also, you can click on to the Community link above and scroll down to "find members". 

    Good luck! See you around the forums. 

  • Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi Matt,

    Welcome to BP. There are some great local folks here who I'm betting can help you with your market info. I had a good experience at the local Treia events, they might be a good spot to meet some other investors and get more info. There is also a local BP meetup next week I think. Good luck!

    Best,

    Barbara 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Matthew Edwards

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets community. Be sure to check out “Learn” for all kinds of useful resources and free how to guides.

  • New to Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Edwards 

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! You come to the right place for great info and advice in RE investing. Keep listening to the BP podcast, BP webinars, #askBP podcast, and reading BP blogs. 

    Much success to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.