New Realtor to Illinois Real Estate needing help!

New Realtor to Illinois Real Estate needing help!

Real Estate Agent · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hello my name is Cristina

I was  an agent in Orlando FL until a few years ago.  I have found that Real Estate in  Illinois is dominated by lawyers and it has made it very difficult to understand things here. I also feel isolated and hope to find a way get some support because the help I've asked of others feels like they're reluctant to take the time for me and it leaves me with more questions than answers. One of the biggest problems is the condominium arena is so different from the single family work I was so used to in Florida. There are lots details to consider that I had no idea of and it sometimes feels confusing. My oldest son mentioned this website, which is why I'm typing this now, so I'm going to start checking it out whenever I have a minute.

I would like to figure out the industry here in Chicago as soon as possible so I can begin to make some money, because so far it's been a very expensive process with no money coming in. My younger son has disabilities and that limits somewhat the time I can give to dig into this a lot faster. So I am desperate for some guidance and it's so frustrating here that I'm considering getting into another industry if it doesn't work out, which is unfortunate because I enjoy real estate. Hopefully I will be able to ask questions here and get some answers so I can start generating income.

Thank you for reading, looking forward to this new adventure!

1Reply
4 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
10y

Hi

I would recommend checking out courses offered with your Realtor association.

I'm assuming you are probably with CAR

http://chicagorealtor.com/realtors-real-estate-sch...

Also, your brokerage company should have classes on Chicago building topics.  Ask your managing broker what they offer. 

Just keep at it and you will get it.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Victor CollazoPro Member
    Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP. I moved up here from Oviedo a couple months ago and the laws in IL are somewhat different. Let me know if there is anything I can assist with it.
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
    10y

    Hi

    I would recommend checking out courses offered with your Realtor association.

    I'm assuming you are probably with CAR

    http://chicagorealtor.com/realtors-real-estate-sch...

    Also, your brokerage company should have classes on Chicago building topics.  Ask your managing broker what they offer. 

    Just keep at it and you will get it.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Cristina Izquierdo

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

  • Nino AlfanoPro Member
    Contractor · Lemont, IL · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 76 votes
    10y
    Welcome! I hope the other realtors can help you with your questions
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 469 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Cristina Izquierdo!!  If you go to the bar at the top next to the Bigger Pockets and click on "Community" in the drop down you have "Forum Categories" .  There are many to chose from depending on your questions but if you scroll down a bit, you'll see one especially for Real Estate Agents. You may be able to find some help there with your questions. 

  • Investor · Naperville, IL · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Along with what everyone else said I'd seek the legal council of an attorney who primarily works with investors. I would be happy to recommend my personal attorney shoot me a PM.

  • Real Estate Agent · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Victor Collazo:

    Welcome to BP. I moved up here from Oviedo a couple months ago and the laws in IL are somewhat different. Let me know if there is anything I can assist with it.

     Thank you. I am trying to figure out  how to deal with lawyers getting on the way of a deal. I had a sale that fell through, because the seller's Lawyer wanted to leave my buyers with out protection (no mortgage contingency).

  • Real Estate Agent · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nick Patterson:

    Hi

    I would recommend checking out courses offered with your Realtor association.

    I'm assuming you are probably with CAR

    http://chicagorealtor.com/realtors-real-estate-sch...

    Also, your brokerage company should have classes on Chicago building topics.  Ask your managing broker what they offer. 

    Just keep at it and you will get it.

     Thank I have been to some classes with CAR.

  • Real Estate Agent · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nino Alfano:

    Welcome! I hope the other realtors can help you with your questions

     Thank you

  • Real Estate Agent · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Stanford:

    Welcome @Cristina Izquierdo!!  If you go to the bar at the top next to the Bigger Pockets and click on "Community" in the drop down you have "Forum Categories" .  There are many to chose from depending on your questions but if you scroll down a bit, you'll see one especially for Real Estate Agents. You may be able to find some help there with your questions. 

     Thank you Jerry, I will check

  • Real Estate Agent · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Stanford:

    Welcome @Cristina Izquierdo!!  If you go to the bar at the top next to the Bigger Pockets and click on "Community" in the drop down you have "Forum Categories" .  There are many to chose from depending on your questions but if you scroll down a bit, you'll see one especially for Real Estate Agents. You may be able to find some help there with your questions. 

     Thank you Jerry, I will check

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.