Hello, my name is Todd Higgins and I love realestate.

Hello, my name is Todd Higgins and I love realestate.

Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hi I'm Todd. I'm 35 years old, happily married to the love of my life with two incredible boys, 6 and 10 years old.  I live in Gainesville Fl, born and raised a Gator. And I'm ex-arm. 

I have always aspired to become a real estate investor and was always told "well you have to be rich to make money in real estate". 

I once owned a small sub-contract construction co and have built home from the ground up. I've done many remodels, additions, decks and pergolas ect...  but to no one's fault but my own I was unable to keep the business afloat when real estate plummeted a few years ago.

So now I work for the dredging and beach restoration industry and spend weeks and sometimes more than a month away from my family. So I can provide for them. The one good thing I can say has come out of this is I have had lots of time to read.  And read I have. I've read three real estate books already and the more I read the more passionate I become about it. I've learned there are ways to come in to this dream game. I've took interest in pre-foreclosure and wholesaleing with creative financing like "subject to" to hopefully get a foot in the door. 

I have not done a deal yet but .  I want to be a real estate investor full-time, and I'm going to do it for my family and myself. I'm all in. 

0Reply
16 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site, and the passion :)

    Best of luck to you. There is a TON of knowledge on the site.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Todd Higgins:

    Hi I'm Todd. I'm 35 years old, happily married to the love of my life with two incredible boys, 6 and 10 years old.  I live in Gainesville Fl, born and raised a Gator. And I'm ex-arm. 

    I have always aspired to become a real estate investor and was always told "well you have to be rich to make money in real estate". 

    I once owned a small sub-contract construction co and have built home from the ground up. I've done many remodels, additions, decks and pergolas ect...  but to no one's fault but my own I was unable to keep the business afloat when real estate plummeted a few years ago.

    So now I work for the dredging and beach restoration industry and spend weeks and sometimes more than a month away from my family. So I can provide for them. The one good thing I can say has come out of this is I have had lots of time to read.  And read I have. I've read three real estate books already and the more I read the more passionate I become about it. I've learned there are ways to come in to this dream game. I've took interest in pre-foreclosure and wholesaleing with creative financing like "subject to" to hopefully get a foot in the door. 

    I have not done a deal yet but .  I want to be a real estate investor full-time, and I'm going to do it for my family and myself. I'm all in. 

     Hi Tom,

    Welcome to the site! I too am in Gainesville and look forward to hearing about your projects. I own 2 properties here and am looking to acquire more. Let me know if there is anything I can help with, if. I've learned a lot here and look to give back if I can. Take care.

  • Property Manager · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Todd,

    I sent you a PM... When you have a chance, I would like to talk to you about your work experience and point you in the right direction of how to get started investing in Gainesville Florida, so you don't get into trouble. 

  • Investor from San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Todd,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets. I also suggest reading The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Keller Williams I also found the podcasts on this site extremely helpful.

    Looking forward to hearing about your future success in real estate.

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    10y

    @Todd Higgins

    In 2002, I bought my first house for $2,900.00. That is two thousand, nine hundred dollars.

    We now own 90+ water heaters(or units of sfrs and apartments). I say water heaters because lately it seems that all I so is have water heaters replaced. An epidemic of sorts.

    Within about 8-10 years all will or should be paid off(if we stop buying)

    My advice - Buy cheap properties

  • Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 38 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Todd Higgins:

    Hi I'm Todd. I'm 35 years old, happily married to the love of my life with two incredible boys, 6 and 10 years old.  I live in Gainesville Fl, born and raised a Gator. And I'm ex-arm. 

    I have always aspired to become a real estate investor and was always told "well you have to be rich to make money in real estate". 

    I once owned a small sub-contract construction co and have built home from the ground up. I've done many remodels, additions, decks and pergolas ect...  but to no one's fault but my own I was unable to keep the business afloat when real estate plummeted a few years ago.

    So now I work for the dredging and beach restoration industry and spend weeks and sometimes more than a month away from my family. So I can provide for them. The one good thing I can say has come out of this is I have had lots of time to read.  And read I have. I've read three real estate books already and the more I read the more passionate I become about it. I've learned there are ways to come in to this dream game. I've took interest in pre-foreclosure and wholesaleing with creative financing like "subject to" to hopefully get a foot in the door. 

    I have not done a deal yet but .  I want to be a real estate investor full-time, and I'm going to do it for my family and myself. I'm all in. 

    That is wonderful and welcome!

    I was like that too, and I read a TON of books but I realized that I'm not going to find that "Secret" that is going to make money. You basically have to go out there and make it happen. Pick a niche and go out there and do it, you will get better with action. You can read about how to do something forever but I have learned that if you don't put in the work required to get it. You will never get the results you want, stick with it and you will get better.

    Go out there and get it done!  Good luck!

  • Construction Trucking Owner / Operator · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 37 votes
    10y
    Todd Higgins your heading sounds like an addict group introduction. LOL Glad someone is having fun though. Isn't that the goal.
  • Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Todd Higgins

    I am also in Gainesville and looking forward to starting to invest in real estate.  My husband travels quite a lot for his work and I want a better family life for us.  I believe that real estate will help with this goal.  

    I'm in the process of "putting my team together" while reading as much as I can.  I just talked to a CPA that I have had recommended to me and I'm now working on finding an attorney and an agent.  Somehow, getting those people nailed down makes it feel more real to me.  

    Best of luck to you!

  • Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks Christian, 

    Good to hear I'm not alone out there. And good for you for wanting to better your family, that's what it is all about. 

    I haven't started putting together a team yet but will need to do so real soon. Good luck to you and maybe we'll work together sometime in the future.

  • Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey Robert, I guess it kind of does, and I kind if feel like an addict right now. I'm enjoying the things I'm reading and am really excited. Hopefully I can make it a long lasting and sucessful career. 

  • Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks Roshard, 

    I hear you. That's exactly what needs to happen. I'm going to get out there as soon as I can.  Soon...

  • Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Terry Martin-Back:

    Todd,

    I sent you a PM... When you have a chance, I would like to talk to you about your work experience and point you in the right direction of how to get started investing in Gainesville Florida, so you don't get into trouble. 

     Hello Terry. 

    I'm not sure if I looked in the wrong place or if it didn't go through but I didn't see anything from you in my inbox. Sorry I may be searching the wrong area. I'm not real familiar with this site, but getting better all the time.

    I'm looking ford to speaking with you if you would be so kind as to pm me again. Or just tell me how to find the original.  Lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.